• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What techniques do you use...

I don't understand. If the facts don't fit one's emotions I'd say that the facts must take precedent. Emotions change and are subject to being wrong, whereas, facts are facts.

I don't understand. If the facts don't fit one's emotions I'd say that the facts must take precedent. Emotions change and are subject to being wrong, whereas, facts are facts.

1629662048660.jpeg

Women tend to be more emotional than men. As a pastor, I’ve counseled many women over the years but never attempted to tell a woman how to change her emotions to fit facts. We discussed facts and the emotions they were feeling but it has always been the women who changed their emotions by patiently working through whatever the issue was. Sometimes they needed help coming up with options. Sometimes they just needed someone to listen to them as they talked through the options. Sometimes they were just unsure and were seeking reassurance and / or encouragement.

Not long ago I heard a commercial for a sports program. The speaker made the comment that sports aren’t complicated; people are.

Sometimes life is complicated and sometimes it isn’t. The constant is people - we (both male and female) are complicated, and we were not created to go through life without relationship with others, which is complicated. How we deal with those complications varies not only from person to person but also by gender.

I think I’ve said enough to get me sufficiently in trouble.

View attachment 124

Women tend to be more emotional than men. As a pastor, I’ve counseled many women over the years but never attempted to tell a woman how to change her emotions to fit facts. We discussed facts and the emotions they were feeling but it has always been the women who changed their emotions by patiently working through whatever the issue was. Sometimes they needed help coming up with options. Sometimes they just needed someone to listen to them as they talked through the options. Sometimes they were just unsure and were seeking reassurance and / or encouragement.

Not long ago I heard a commercial for a sports program. The speaker made the comment that sports aren’t complicated; people are.

Sometimes life is complicated and sometimes it isn’t. The constant is people - we (both male and female) are complicated, and we were not created to go through life without relationship with others, which is complicated. How we deal with those complications varies not only from person to person but also by gender.

I think I’ve said enough to get me sufficiently in trouble.
I would agree with everything but that women tend to be more emotional...man have I seen a lot of emotional men in my days of ministry.

I think tradition plays a big part in emotion. How we were raised, what circumstances we were subject to. What we were taught as truth, etc.

It seems this determines why people react differently to the same facts.

The scripture that comes to mind is when Jesus said “Whosoever shall come after me, let him deny himself “pick up his cross” and come after Me.

His Word represents Truth, AKA, Fact. (So to speak)

Whoever comes to Him should deny their “facts”, rule over their emotions, and follow Him.

I’m my view 😊😊

Emotions have their place (a time and place for everything under the sun).

While I agree that woman, on the average, are more emotional; it provides a balance that is needed at times.
Quick side note to the discussion...my husband and I were talking last night about the whole who is more emotional thing and he has seen the same thing in his ministry, Men tend to be more emotional but society has told them not to show it so it appears that women who have been conditioned to show their emotions are more emotional when the reality is otherwise. I suspect this is true because men are conditioned to hold in their emotions thus they build but that part is just logical conclusion or theory if you will

This morning I randomly thought about an ancient adage and a college counseling class which now seems almost ancient to me.

The adage: Time heals all wounds.

The class: Christian Counseling.

I recall a brief classroom discussion where one of my classmates either asked the instructor about the adage or offered it as a piece of advice which might be useful in counseling. I don’t think it was resolved one way or the other but it was the first time I was exposed to criticism of the adage.

I didn’t take the time to search for my college textbook to see if it was discussed there but I did conduct an internet search. I pulled up and read an article published on the Christianity.com website - titled “Is the Phrase ‘Time Heals All Wounds’ in the Bible?” - and thought the author of the article made some good points which people (male or female) who are struggling, or people (male or female) who are trying to comfort people who are struggling, might find beneficial and / or encouraging. (If the reader doesn’t fall into the struggling or comforting those who are categories now, he or she almost certainly will be some time in the future.)

This morning I randomly thought about an ancient adage and a college counseling class which now seems almost ancient to me.

The adage: Time heals all wounds.

The class: Christian Counseling.

I recall a brief classroom discussion where one of my classmates either asked the instructor about the adage or offered it as a piece of advice which might be useful in counseling. I don’t think it was resolved one way or the other but it was the first time I was exposed to criticism of the adage.

I didn’t take the time to search for my college textbook to see if it was discussed there but I did conduct an internet search. I pulled up and read an article published on the Christianity.com website - titled “Is the Phrase ‘Time Heals All Wounds’ in the Bible?” - and thought the author of the article made some good points which people (male or female) who are struggling, or people (male or female) who are trying to comfort people who are struggling, might find beneficial and / or encouraging. (If the reader doesn’t fall into the struggling or comforting those who are categories now, he or she almost certainly will be some time in the future.)

Having experienced deep grief, I had an opportunity to talk to a friend some time later who had recently lost his wife. I asked him how he was doing and he said that he didn't think he was doing very well. I told him that there would come a time when he didn't have to cry everyday but for not, let the tears come....the look of relief and comfort on that man's face was astonishing when he realized that he was actually doing okay with that kind of deep grief and that someone else understood.

I know that we aren't talking about grief alone here but thought I would offer this...Since we are talking about wounds that need to heal and in the example, grief from death, let me also put this out there for anyone who might come across such a need. When our son died, I remember 1 person and what they said (I don't remember who said it, just the words that help so much comfort) Someone said, "I have no words!" that said it all. Most of us say, "I'm sorry" or "they are in a better place" or something like that, but the depths of grief cannot be reflected in words and it is a grief that we are to share with one another, thus we took great comfort in knowing that someone recognized the depths of our pain by acknowledging there were no words to convey the situation. Just thought I would offer that for anyone who might struggle with knowing what to say in a situation like that.

Back