• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What Spiritual Sacrifices Are We to Offer?

I was thinking more along the lines that "spiritual sacrifices" (humility, self-abnegation, and self-giving for the benefit of others) brings us closer to God.

That's a pretty common assumption. Read 1 Pet 2:5 again.

When folks properly understand, and can see Jesus as a heavenly high priest, who mediates, and intervenes and represents us before God-- only then can they begin to understand the idea of being saved "through" him.

Next post. (continued from previous post)

I think it is ourselves that is the spiritual sacrifice.
The living sacrifice of the living stones. (acceptable to God)

Romans 12:1 NIV
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy,
to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—
this is your true and proper worship.

]
That seems to speak more of a physical sacrifice than a spiritual one. Although there is a sense in which ALL sacrifices are spiritual.

I think it is ourselves that is the spiritual sacrifice.
The living sacrifice of the living stones. (acceptable to God)

Our spiritual sacrifice is giving ourselves to be those living stones that act as priests for God.

I'm sure that it's taking the conversation out of the comfort zone, but these sentiments above tend to ignore the reality of an actual priesthood above that truly exists, where Christ is the high priest acting on our behalf before God's throne. And also an actual royal priesthood in the heavenly realm, where angels/spirits minister in service and support.

In the spiritual realm, these 'animals' that are sacrificed are not animals at all, but represent spiritual attributes-- things of a spiritual nature and character. It's where we get various associations from-- a dove is innocent and peaceful, a lion is strong and courageous, a lamb is essentially dumb and innocent, a beast- in general is something terrifying and almost indescribable, and so on.

And in that spiritual realm, these spiritual priests 'sacrifice' these spiritual animal/attributes as gifts and offerings in what we might think of as symbolic acts, but they are not symbolic. That is the real real. That's the reality and this place is simply the reflection of all that. This water world we live in, is like a giant reflecting pool that 'images' that reality above. Everything here an image of everything above-- on earth as it is in heaven.

With this understanding-- forget everything you think you know about sacrifice and Moses and the temple system he instituted. It was never meant to be, beyond demonstrating it's futility as a means of atonement. No amount of animal blood can suffice or appease a God who demands blood. Because it's not about blood and our Father is not the one who demands sacrifice. There is a deeper story here.

Yet everything here is representative of something there. When a lamb, or a pair of doves is sacrificed in the heavenly realm by these heavenly priests-- there is an association to be made. There is an image below of this reality above. People often ask-- "Why do bad things happen to good people?" A pat answer in Christianese might be-- it's God's will. -or some version of that, but I know that God is not willing that any should perish, but for all to come to repentance.

Jesus asked--- and answered questions on this very topic-- sacrifice and repentance and he put it in terms of 'innocents' dying.... Luke 13:1

Now there were some present on that occasion who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. He answered them, “Do you think these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered these things? No, I tell you! But unless you repent, you will all perish as well! Or those eighteen who were killed when the tower in Siloam fell on them, do you think they were worse offenders than all the others who live in Jerusalem? No, I tell you! But unless you repent you will all perish as well!”

And then, as a means to further explain-- he told a parable.

I'm sure that it's taking the conversation out of the comfort zone, but these sentiments above tend to ignore the reality of an actual priesthood above that truly exists, where Christ is the high priest acting on our behalf before God's throne. And also an actual royal priesthood in the heavenly realm, where angels/spirits minister in service and support.
Interesting post, but have you answered the topic title question?

I don't recall any evidence of animals being sacrificed on our behalf in heaven? (the spiritual realm) Was the Atonement insufficient somehow?

]

Interesting post, but have you answered the topic title question?

I don't recall any evidence of animals being sacrificed on our behalf in heaven? (the spiritual realm) Was the Atonement insufficient somehow?

]

Sorry, that cracked me up.

Here's a brief refresher....

Then I saw standing in the middle of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the middle of the elders, a Lamb that appeared to have been killed. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

tenor.gif

Sorry, that cracked me up.

Here's a brief refresher....

Then I saw standing in the middle of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the middle of the elders, a Lamb that appeared to have been killed. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
I take that as figurative. Do you take it as literal? Doesn't the Lamb represent Christ? Seven horns and seven eyes? (which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth) Therefore figurative?

]

Back