• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What makes a doctrine false?

SteVen

Please quote what you would like to respond to. Thanks.

1. You've never heard it before. (knee-jerk defensive response)

2. You have heard of it before, but assume it's false. (haven't looked into it)

3. Doesn't align with your church's doctrine (your church would say it is false)

4. Doesn't align with your personal doctrine (your views differ)

5. YOUR "Bible" says it is false. (other biblical opinions don't matter)

6. It makes you uncomfortable. (therefore it must be wrong)

7. Everyone knows it's false. (except those who believe it)

]

False doctrine / teaching is doctrine / teaching which doesn’t align with the Messiah’s teaching / doctrine.

What makes a doctrine false is that it opposes true doctrine, the Messiah’s doctrine.

3. Doesn't align with your church's doctrine (your church would say it is false)

]

Of your list- I think that number 4 is the definitive explanation at the end of the day.

Faith is a personal journey and it's one's personal beliefs that will supersede all others- what you've been told, what you've been taught, what your church emphasizes or insists upon, and so on.

False doctrine / teaching is doctrine / teaching which doesn’t align with the Messiah’s teaching / doctrine.

What makes a doctrine false is that it opposes true doctrine, the Messiah’s doctrine.

That's a rather trite response. It's what you think about the Messiah's teaching that matters. You might have an understanding of what you think he taught and at the same time your belief might be a misunderstanding.

Of your list- I think that number 4 is the definitive explanation at the end of the day.

Faith is a personal journey and it's one's personal beliefs that will supersede all others- what you've been told, what you've been taught, what your church emphasizes or insists upon, and so on.
Agree.
But does that make a doctrine false?

]

Agree.
But does that make a doctrine false?

]

What makes a set of beliefs false? A doctrine is only provably false when examined in the light of the truth. It's by comparison. Following the inherent logic-- the Truth is what makes everything else false-- but that wasn't one of the choices available on your list. It begs the question-- What is the Truth?

I'll tell you something true. --I'm mind-reading and figuring that this thread follows your familiar theme, with several versions of -Why can't we all just get along? Why can't we tolerate the idea that someone else has different ideas?

The fact (truth) is-- I agree with you only when you agree with me. Ever think of it like that? We only ever achieve agreement when we think/believe the same. -That's the very nature of agreement, and the flip-side of the coin is everything else. Disagreement.

Since we don't all think the same-- hardly ever-- disagreement is prevalent. It's the soup of the day and we all have to eat from the same bowl or starve to death. I'll dip my spoon into the same bowl that you are dipping your spoon into-- but neither of us want that other guy dipping his disgusting spoon in. His nasty spit would spoil the soup.

I'll tell you something true. --I'm mind-reading and figuring that this thread follows your familiar theme, with several versions of -Why can't we all just get along? Why can't we tolerate the idea that someone else has different ideas?
LOL - That's good.

Every one of the choices I offered is a set-up. (loaded statements)

Each one is a reason NOT to label someone else's doctrine as false.
Respondents pick their reason and then I ask: But does that make a doctrine false?

So much fun. - LOL

]

In my view, there is a problem with every one of the choices offered in the OP.
Does that make a doctrine false?
It may be true, but you aren't familiar with it.

Maybe you should look into it before rejecting it out-of-hand.

Maybe your church is wrong. (horrors)

Maybe your personal doctrine is wrong.
Or it may be a non-essential that shouldn't be rejected out-of-hand.

Maybe your personal interpretation is wrong.
There may be several views of any doctrine.

Unfamiliarity does not make a doctrine wrong.

Is right doctrine a matter of popular opinion?
Is the status quo always right?

]

In my view, there is a problem with every one of the choices offered in the OP.

It may be true, but you aren't familiar with it.

Maybe you should look into it before rejecting it out-of-hand.

Maybe your church is wrong. (horrors)

Maybe your personal doctrine is wrong.
Or it may be a non-essential that shouldn't be rejected out-of-hand.

Maybe your personal interpretation is wrong.
There may be several views of any doctrine.

Unfamiliarity does not make a doctrine wrong.

Is right doctrine a matter of popular opinion?
Is the status quo always right?

]

Number 7 strikes me as so prevalent. That is precisely how orthodoxy is achieved. Right, by might. It's political power and positional power and they exert force in every form to silence and try to discredit critics through censorship, mockery, threat and at times throughout history, even physical violence. We've seen this recently with critics of the vaccine madness... no one was allowed to opt out, or even speak against it. The "science" was all that mattered... their science.... which we know now was completely fabricated for the sole purpose of fear-mongering and forced compliance. In theological circles-- it's worse.

]
I really believe the Bible has the truth within it, IOW it doesn’t contradict itself and it teaches a definite way to believe certain doctrines. Because it’s from one Author.

And it requires His help to understand it. (Like 10:21) Yes, Jesus’ Father. Yahweh. Not Jesus.

So if people are not obedient to His commands & guidelines, and pray for His help, they won’t have His blessing to gain the correct interpretation.

There’s a lot in God’s Word to misunderstand!!!!

Thanks for joining the discussion.
I really believe the Bible has the truth within it, IOW it doesn’t contradict itself and it teaches a definite way to believe certain doctrines. Because it’s from one Author.
Okay.
But there certainly are conflicting understandings.
Seemingly irreconcilable in some cases. (OSAS or NOSAS?)

And it requires His help to understand it. (Like 10:21) Yes, Jesus’ Father. Yahweh. Not Jesus.
Are you questioning the deity of Christ?

So if people are not obedient to His commands & guidelines, and pray for His help, they won’t have His blessing to gain the correct interpretation.
Are you promoting the law?

There’s a lot in God’s Word to misunderstand!!!!
Agree.

]

]

8. It is incompatible with the loving character of God, which is defined as a perfect mingling of justice and mercy which, in turn and unfortunately, for all my good intentions of avoiding Bibliolatry, are best illustrated in the Bible in such scenes as Moses in the cleft of the Rock and, ultimately, Christ at the blessed Calvary Event.

Sorry, Palsy-walsy, but you provoked me to this raucous outburst. ;)

Back