• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What is the most neglected book of the Bible?

Mattathias

While reading through some threads over the past few days I noticed that a few books of the Bible tend to receive most of the attention.

One thread, on the subject of books contained in Catholic Bibles that aren’t contained in Protestant Bible, set me to thinking about books contained in Protestant Bibles that we don’t often discuss.

That raised a question in my mind: What is the most neglected book of the Bible?

Thinking back on sermons I’ve listened to and sermons I’ve given, several books came to mind, but one book in particular stands out to me.

What do you think is the most neglected book of the Bible? Whichever that book is, it in your own reading that it is neglected? Is it in the preaching you listen to (or preach on)? Is it in your conversation with others?

In your experience, what is the most neglected book of the Bible? Why do you think it is?

There are some that should be neglected.

Most neglected, IMO: Ecclesiastes.

Most non-neglected that should be neglected, IMO: Revelation.

Most misunderstood, IMO: Job.

Thinking back on sermons I’ve listened to and sermons I’ve given, several books came to mind, but one book in particular stands out to me.

Which one stands out to you?

Let me ask--- Have you ever preached, or heard a sermon about this story?

Now I desire to remind you even though you have been fully informed of these facts once for all that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, later destroyed those who did not believe.

View: https://youtu.be/2LGpW6SHGvE?si=DWoGlX0gR90UikbO

Which one stands out to you?

Let me ask--- Have you ever preached, or heard a sermon about this story?

Now I desire to remind you even though you have been fully informed of these facts once for all that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, later destroyed those who did not believe.

View: https://youtu.be/2LGpW6SHGvE?si=DWoGlX0gR90UikbO
The translations seem to vary as to whether that should be "Jesus" or "the Lord." The NASB says "the Lord." I have a hard time believing Jude would have written "Jesus."

The Epistle of Jude is also famous for "Yet the archangel Michael, when he argued with the devil in a dispute over the body of Moses, did not venture to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him but said, 'May the Lord rebuke you!.'" My wife asked me the other day what on earth this meant, and I discovered its origin is obscure and disputed.

In other words, Jude is odd at best and difficult to use as the basis for much of anything (IMO).

The translations seem to vary as to whether that should be "Jesus" or "the Lord." The NASB says "the Lord." I have a hard time believing Jude would have written "Jesus."

The Epistle of Jude is also famous for "Yet the archangel Michael, when he argued with the devil in a dispute over the body of Moses, did not venture to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him but said, 'May the Lord rebuke you!.'" My wife asked me the other day what on earth this meant, and I discovered its origin is obscure and disputed.

In other words, Jude is odd at best and difficult to use as the basis for much of anything (IMO).

Hey (O'Jude) ! I'm looking forward to (and asking for) you to try out the Blog feature here. I haven't quite figured it out just yet as I've never been a blogger. Maybe you can help me understand and improve it!

Thanks!

Hey (O'Jude) ! I'm looking forward to (and asking for) you to try out the Blog feature here. I haven't quite figured it out just yet as I've never been a blogger. Maybe you can help me understand and improve it!

Thanks!
I was hoping your video was the Beatles' "Across the Universe," which happens to be my favorite song as a hardcore Beatlemaniac. I listened to the "Help!" album only yesterday on my way to and from the golf course (which may be a pun because "Yesterday" is on it!). Alas, your video is apparently from a movie called "Across the Universe." Here's the real deal. John Lennon was miffed because he thought the others played out of tune to spite him, but that's what gives it it's haunting quality. I can remember distinctly being a freshman at the University of Arizona when hundreds of us gathered in the Student Union to watch the Beatles play "Hey, Jude" and "Revolution" on a TV screen. People who weren't teens in the Beatle era have no idea what Gods they were - Taylor Swift is nothing in comparison.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90M60PzmxEE

There are some that should be neglected.

That’s something that you and I wouldn’t have in common.

Most neglected, IMO: Ecclesiastes.

That’s one that would make my list of most neglected books.

Most non-neglected that should be neglected, IMO: Revelation.

This one had a difficult time making it into the canon. It receives a huge amount of attention but is often named as the book which people least like to read.

Most misunderstood, IMO: Job.

“Most misunderstood” is an interesting category. I think I would probably say Revelation is the most misunderstood but there are many other books that could easily make my list.

Back