• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What is "Christianity?" Does it exist?

The statement was made on another thread that Christianity is a religion. I responded no, it isn't. It's really five or six quite different religions, fractured and fragmented within themselves and among themselves beyond any pretense of cohesiveness. The fact that they all mouth the name of Jesus tells us pretty much nothing. Paramahansa Yogananda, a Hindu yogi, spoke of Jesus as much and as convincingly as any Southern Baptist preacher.

If there is a "Christianity," it comprises individuals whom God will decide are fit to enter His eternal kingdom. They will likely come from all segments of belief - Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, and possibly Mormon, Hindu and Buddhist for all I know. I don't think any of us can articulate a convincing definition of "Christian" or could pick the Christians out of a crowd if we tried. Only God can make the determination.

I also said that "Christianity" as it exists today is mostly a worldly power structure, or group of competing power structures, little different from secular corporations. The power structure exists to preserve and increase its power and wealth, simple as that, just as Ford and Burger King exist to increase their market shares and profits. I don't believe this is a cynical view of the religion but a simple statement of obvious fact.

Many people think Constantine was the worst thing that ever happened to Christianity. By recognizing it as an official state religion, he elevated it from what Jesus intended - a transforming movement of individual disciples - into just another worldly power structure.

As a retired lawyer, I love Charles Dickens' novel Bleak House. A once-vast estate has been bogged down in the legal system for generations. The novel is about the last remaining young heirs. On the day when the estate is finally going to be settled and the young heirs are filled with hope, the courtroom erupts in laughter as the judge announces that legal fees and court costs have consumed the entire estate. The dispute is over only because there is nothing left.

"How is this possible?" the young heirs ask. What about evidence, truth, justice and all the other wonderful things our legal system is supposed to be about???

You don't get it, a wise old character explains. The legal system, from top to bottom, has NOTHING to do with truth or justice. It exists for one reason: TO PERPETUATE ITSELF.

Not only did I find this a sadly accurate description of my own observations of the legal system, but it occurred to me that it's also a sadly accurate description of the "Christian" power structure. People who think for themselves aren't "heretics" - they're simply a threat to the power structure.

All just my opinion, of course.

Many people think Constantine was the worst thing that ever happened to Christianity. By recognizing it as an official state religion, he elevated it from what Jesus intended - a transforming movement of individual disciples - into just another worldly power structure.

There’s a pretty good argument that can be made that points in this direction.

The statement was made on another thread that Christianity is a religion. I responded no, it isn't. It's really five or six quite different religions, fractured and fragmented within themselves and among themselves beyond any pretense of cohesiveness. The fact that they all mouth the name of Jesus tells us pretty much nothing. Paramahansa Yogananda, a Hindu yogi, spoke of Jesus as much and as convincingly as any Southern Baptist preacher.
That's interesting. Even the Jews in Jesus' day saw it as a sect. (minor threat)
Except for one wise soul... (Gamaliel)

Acts 5:34-40 NET
But a Pharisee[a] whose name was Gamaliel,[b]
a teacher of the law who was respected by all the people,
stood up[c] in the council[d] and ordered the men to be put outside for a short time.
35 Then he said to the council,[e] “Men of Israel,[f]
pay close attention to[g] what you are about to do to these men.
36 For some time ago[h] Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody,
and about 400 men joined him. He[i] was killed,
and all who followed him were dispersed and nothing came of it.[j]
37 After him Judas the Galilean arose in the days of the census,[k]
and incited people to follow him in revolt.[l]
He too was killed, and all who followed him were scattered.
38 So in this case I say to you, stay away from these men and leave them alone,
because if this plan or this undertaking originates with people,[m] it will come to nothing,[n]
39 but if[o] it is from God, you will not be able to stop them,
or you may even be found[p] fighting against God.” He convinced them,[q]
40 and they summoned the apostles and had them beaten.[r]
Then[s] they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus and released them.

/

If there is a "Christianity," it comprises individuals whom God will decide are fit to enter His eternal kingdom. They will likely come from all segments of belief - Orthodox, Catholic, Protestant, and possibly Mormon, Hindu and Buddhist for all I know. I don't think any of us can articulate a convincing definition of "Christian" or could pick the Christians out of a crowd if we tried. Only God can make the determination.

I also said that "Christianity" as it exists today is mostly a worldly power structure, or group of competing power structures, little different from secular corporations. The power structure exists to preserve and increase its power and wealth, simple as that, just as Ford and Burger King exist to increase their market shares and profits. I don't believe this is a cynical view of the religion but a simple statement of obvious fact.

As a retired lawyer, I love Charles Dickens' novel Bleak House. A once-vast estate has been bogged down in the legal system for generations. The novel is about the last remaining young heirs. On the day when the estate is finally going to be settled and the young heirs are filled with hope, the courtroom erupts in laughter as the judge announces that legal fees and court costs have consumed the entire estate. The dispute is over only because there is nothing left.

"How is this possible?" the young heirs ask. What about evidence, truth, justice and all the other wonderful things our legal system is supposed to be about???

You don't get it, a wise old character explains. The legal system, from top to bottom, has NOTHING to do with truth or justice. It exists for one reason: TO PERPETUATE ITSELF.

Not only did I find this a sadly accurate description of my own observations of the legal system, but it occurred to me that it's also a sadly accurate description of the "Christian" power structure. People who think for themselves aren't "heretics" - they're simply a threat to the power structure.

All just my opinion, of course.
The first century Christian’s were called Christians by individuals outside of that particular religion. Today people allege themselves to be Christian’s. I personally believe it is all a bunch of lip service.

The first century Christian’s were called Christians by individuals outside of that particular religion. Today people allege themselves to be Christian’s. I personally believe it is all a bunch of lip service.

Like the lady that went to the Christian spa wanting botox in her forehead to get rid of some wrinkles.

Sadly-- as a Christian spa- they only did lip service.

Back