• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What Does It Mean That Jesus Intercedes For Us?

A

Arial

Hebrews 7:24-25 But He, because He continues forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. Therefore He is also able to save to the uttermost those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.

Hebrews 10:11-14 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins, But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

In Hebrews chapters 3-10, the writer gives a beautiful and detailed description and explanation of the person and work of Jesus, expanding into His office of priest, giving this priesthood a direct correlation to what is shadowed and pointed to in the OT cerimonial (worship) law. It is worth a frequent read. What does it mean that Jesus is our High Priest and that He is interceding for His people? What is the boundless and infinite security for us in this?

An intercessor of course is one who mediates between man and God. In the OT that was the office of the priest, and especially the High Priest who went into the Holy of Holies (considered as being in the very personal presence of God) and only once a year to intercede before God for His mercy on the people in forgiveness, and always with shed blood. Jesus now is our eternal High Priest, and His very presence in the true Holy of Holies is the intercession for those who belong to Him, for it is His shed blood that purifies forever the believer. He is there as intercessor for each new believer added to the kingdom through faith also, but is there even more than meets the eye at first glance in this intercession?

Four scriptures come to mind. Is 2:16-17 "See it is I who created the blacksmith who fans the coals into flame and forges a weapon fit for its work. And it is I who have created the destroyer to wreak havoc; no weapon forged against you shall prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from Me," declares the Lord.

Romans 8:31-35 Verse 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died---more than that, who was raised to life---is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
Job 1: 6-7 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. And the Lord said to Satan "From where do you come?" So Satan answered the Lord and said, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it."
Then God pointed out Job's righteousness, and we all know the rest of that transaction, with Satan asking permission to take away Job's blessings and the "bet" that then Job would curse God.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. (Those who have the Spirit indwelling them.)

We read in scripture that Satan is prowling around seeking whom He may destroy. We see that he is a liar and the father of lies. We see that he is the accuser of the brethren. Jesus as our High Priest, and His righteousness being accredited to our account, throws all the accusations that Satan brings to "court" against us out with a "Not guilty. He is clothed in My righteousness." The condemnations cannot get through Him. This is going on constantly as we see in Revelation in the war that Satan is raging against Christ's church, and that we experience in our own life. Jesus is fighting for us and no matter what the Beast does he can never separate us from Christ. Even if he kills the body, yet we live.

Yes, we are no longer under condemnation from the accuser of the brethren. I can't seem to believe that full because I feel tremendous guilt and shame for things I've done and said. That is the enemy throwing the past back up in your face. I know I'm forgiven, yet I still have trouble feeling "good" about myself. That's why I read the bible and stay in the word and it makes me feel better with more confidence.

I have heard it described as a court of God where the accusers speak against some of us and Jesus Christ is like our attorney, a really good one if you ask me. We also know the holy spirit prays for us and makes intercession as well. Hopefully we all get better at capturing our thoughts and judge ourselves, even if only upon reflection.

Yes, we are no longer under condemnation from the accuser of the brethren. I can't seem to believe that full because I feel tremendous guilt and shame for things I've done and said. That is the enemy throwing the past back up in your face. I know I'm forgiven, yet I still have trouble feeling "good" about myself. That's why I read the bible and stay in the word and it makes me feel better with more confidence.

I have heard it described as a court of God where the accusers speak against some of us and Jesus Christ is like our attorney, a really good one if you ask me. We also know the holy spirit prays for us and makes intercession as well. Hopefully we all get better at capturing our thoughts and judge ourselves, even if only upon reflection.
It is difficult to let go of our feelings of guilt. Guilt, and the forgiveness of sins is in the hands of God and through faith in Jesus Christ. So it is enough, that God is not counting them against us in regards to the righteousness that we have in Christ, His righteousness. He is not condemning us for Christ and His righteousness intercedes for us. There is a place for those feelings of guilt to remain for a time, though not to rule our life or to forget what we have in Jesus. They can be a reminder to not offend in that way again, rather than to simply say "I am forgiven" and put it all behind us. We can be strengthened in our relationship with God, be broken again with repentance at offending God as we remember what we did. Things long past, the way I lived, the things I said and did, both before and after I came to Christ, I still remember from time to time, and recognize the shamefulness and shame of it, but not as a feeling of present guilt. More with gratitude that God set me free from all that.

Satan is the accuser of the brethren, as he was against Job in that great court in the sky. The evil one cannot condemn us before God, but he will do his best to get us to condemn ourselves before God. (By condemn I mean the condemnation that leads to hell.) He will try and convince us that we are not really saved or we wouldn't do what we did. He will try to cause us to give up hope or to abandon our faith or that we have abandoned it. Any number of things, wherever our weakest point is, and he often gets a lot of help from the actual brethren. The possibility of any of those things happening is what the intercession of our High Priest keeps us safe from. Even if we deal with it for a time. Question our own salvation. Listen to the lies for a time---God will never leave us in that condition because the very blood of the Son has purchased us as God's children. And we will come out of this state of self condemnation stronger, more grateful than ever. It is one way in which we are continually being sanctified. And when in our distress and sorrow over what we have done, it is to God we turn, Satan has already shown himself to be a liar.

God doesn’t mediate between human beings and himself. A man, a human person, a human being, does.

“For, you see, There is one God, and also one mediator between God and humans, Messiah Jesus, himself a human being.”

(1 Timothy 2:5, NTFE)

God doesn’t mediate between human beings and himself. A man, a human person, a human being, does.

“For, you see, There is one God, and also one mediator between God and humans, Messiah Jesus, himself a human being.”

(1 Timothy 2:5, NTFE)

That's important. Can a man mediate between God and man?

God is spirit.
Man is flesh.

Can flesh approach spirit? There's an interesting reflection on this principle in the book of Esther, of all places.

That's important. Can a man mediate between God and man?

Paul said that the man does.

God is spirit.
Man is flesh.

Can flesh approach spirit? There's an interesting reflection on this principle in the book of Esther, of all places.

Moses was the mediator between God and Israel.

Jesus is the second Moses. (Moses typology.)

Paul said that the man does.

Moses was the mediator between God and Israel.

Jesus is the second Moses. (Moses typology.)

Doesn't that contradict what Paul says? He says there is only one man-- one mediator..... He names Jesus, not Moses.

1 Tim 2:5

“For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus.”

Where does Paul say that Moses is the second Moses? Don't you mean the second Adam?

Doesn't that contradict what Paul says? He says there is only one man-- one mediator..... He names Jesus, not Moses.

Moses was the mediator for Israel. Jesus is the mediator for all of mankind.

Moses and Jesus are both human beings.

1 Tim 2:5

“For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus.”

The mediator isn’t the one God. The mediator between the one God and mankind (not just the mediator between the one God and Israel) is the man Christ Jesus.

Where does Paul say that Moses is the second Moses?

I think you probably meant to type Jesus instead of Moses. Paul doesn’t say that Jesus is the second Moses.

Don't you mean the second Adam?

No. That’s a different typology.

Many scholars have written about Jesus as the second, or new, Moses. I’m providing a link to one such article which does so.

I chose this article at random, but with one criteria: the author is not a Jewish monotheist.

Back