• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Philosophy Was Machiavelli Machiavellian?

P

patrick jane

Was Machiavelli Machiavellian?​

Humanist politician and philosopher Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli has been called the first modern man and the father of political science. His book The Prince, is among the most influential books in the Western canon and has given rise to our adjective “Machiavellian” to describe unscrupulous politicians. John Hamer of Toronto Centre Place look closely at The Prince and Machiavelli’s other writings to consider his political philosophy and to ask whether the author himself was “Machiavellian”.

1 hour 14 minutes

Was Machiavelli Machiavellian?​

Humanist politician and philosopher Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli has been called the first modern man and the father of political science. His book The Prince, is among the most influential books in the Western canon and has given rise to our adjective “Machiavellian” to describe unscrupulous politicians. John Hamer of Toronto Centre Place look closely at The Prince and Machiavelli’s other writings to consider his political philosophy and to ask whether the author himself was “Machiavellian”.

1 hour 14 minutes

He was actually pretty liberal and a bit of a softy once in power if I remember correctly. I've read it a few times and I think he really didn't believe the things he was writing when it came to advice, while he did honestly describe the realities of some aspects of politics. Like the DaVinci tank, he intentionally made it useless, perhaps to sabotage his audience.

Back