• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Two mules and a load of dirt

While that's true, the custom was a real thing.

Yes. Custom is an important element and without knowing and understanding the custom of the day and the cultures involved we wouldn’t have reasonable insight and understanding of what took place and why.

I sometimes will hear people say that they don’t need anything other than the Bible to understand what was said and done in the preserved biblical stories. I think that’s a huge mistake.

But there was one territory in particular that YHWH said He would place His name ---- in the land of Israel.

Not only Israel in general-- Gilgal in particular. I suspect (since that is where Elisha was staying) is that the spot where Naaman was told to go and wash at the Jordan was that place called Gilgal where those twelve stones were set in a circle. Magic water, magic dirt.... gotta take some of this home with me!

I love also, how when he was healed, Naaman says to the healer Elisha-- how much do I owe ya?

Elisha says-- no worries, God's got you covered. (There was however a requirement in the law of Moses of a sacrifice to be made for cleansing so maybe Bradley's commentary is right in that Naaman wanted the dirt to build an earthen altar-- seems plausible)

Naaman says- I have 10 talents of silver and 2 talents of gold, and new sets of clothes for you and your boys! Elisha says-- nope. No charge.

Then one of Elisha's servants goes off chasing them down the road saying.... But wait.... you forgot the copay!

But there was one territory in particular that YHWH said He would place His name ---- in the land of Israel.

And Naaman wasn’t from that place, and couldn’t remain there. If you aren’t from there and can’t stay there - take it with you when you go.

Where the land is, the God of the land is.

I wish we knew exactly what he did with the dirt.
Meanwhile, there are many things that we could speculate he did.
Especially when considering ancient culture practices.

I’d like to know too, but does it really matter what he did with the dirt?

If it does, the story probably would have mentioned it. Maybe everyone knew what he was going to do with it, and what he was going to do with it was important to him, but maybe it wasn’t important to the Israelites.

Maybe it really does matter and God wants us to figure it out for ourselves, or at least think about it.

Yes. Custom is an important element and without knowing and understanding the custom of the day and the cultures involved we wouldn’t have reasonable insight and understanding of what took place and why.

I sometimes will hear people say that they don’t need anything other than the Bible to understand what was said and done in the preserved biblical stories. I think that’s a huge mistake.
I agree.
There are some obscure words in scripture that only show up once.
If not for finding some of those same words in writings of other Semitic language cultures we could not have known what they meant.
And there are whole lot of phrases that would have brought to mind certain imagery to the mind of the ancients than what that imagery means to us today; a lot of it being mythical in word but referring to something very real and known about at the time.
The ancients that wrote scripture would have used phrases and terminology that the people of their time would have readily understood.
They weren't writing in terminology for some 2000 years into the future guys.

That's why I laugh when I hear amateur prophesy buffs saying locust are black war helicopters and stuff like that.
Theology can be so comical at times.

Not only Israel in general-- Gilgal in particular. I suspect (since that is where Elisha was staying) is that the spot where Naaman was told to go and wash at the Jordan was that place called Gilgal where those twelve stones were set in a circle. Magic water, magic dirt.... gotta take some of this home with me!

I love also, how when he was healed, Naaman says to the healer Elisha-- how much do I owe ya?
There a song (sung by Tanya Tucker, Paul Davis, and Paul Overstreet) I just love that would go perfectly with that ....

I Won't Take Less Than Your Love

Elisha says-- no worries, God's got you covered. (There was however a requirement in the law of Moses of a sacrifice to be made for cleansing so maybe Bradley's commentary is right in that Naaman wanted the dirt to build an earthen altar-- seems plausible)
One of the verses may very well refer to that.

2 Kings 5:17 ESV
(17) Then Naaman said, “If not, please let there be given to your servant two mule loads of earth, for from now on your servant will not offer burnt offering or sacrifice to any god but the LORD.

Naaman says- I have 10 talents of silver and 2 talents of gold, and new sets of clothes for you and your boys! Elisha says-- nope. No charge.

Then one of Elisha's servants goes off chasing them down the road saying.... But wait.... you forgot the copay!
The makings of a den of thieves.
Things didn't end well for ol' Gehazi.

2Kings 5
(27) Therefore the leprosy of Naaman shall cling to you [Gehazi], and to your descendants forever.” So he went out from his presence a leper, like snow.

It’s a great story but whenever I read it or think about it I tend to focus on the servant.

Elisha, I get. Naaman, I think I get. Gehazi deeply disturbs me.

I’m there. I’m in Gehazi’s sandals. I’m doing great, then … temptation, and he (would I?) succumbs to it. Gehazi meets with disaster.

I see it coming and want to shout, “Don’t do it! Persevere to the end, Gehazi! Persevere to the end“ but Gehazi can’t hear me. I can hear me.

Run the good race. Don’t chase after Naaman.

Elisha, why didn’t you call out to Gehazi? Whatever the reason, Gehazi knew or should have known better, and was held responsible for his actions. Not only that; his sin affected his descendants.

That depends on the person.My grandfather was called by GOD to preach and preach he did for 60 years..This was a time when there was very little electricity, radio only if any, not telephone, etc. Yes, He did not understand everything in the Bible unless GOD told Him what it was for He lived just after the civil war and the world had not ended....How could he comprehend that Mat 24:22.."And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." It is hard enough to comprehend it today but if one believes in GOD (and He did) then truly the things you do not understand will be enough.

Blade

Back