• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The Promises of God.

R

razzelflabben

Can I talk anyone into a discussion on the promises of God?

I am most interested in the promises that we experience in this lifetime but I am sure someone will rightly add our eternal home.

The first two that come to my mind are:
1. Jesus Christ, the Messiah is a promise of God that we experience in this lifetime and
2. Romans 8:28 I put a lot of hope and take great comfort in knowing that God will bring good out of everything if we are are His

Can I talk anyone into a discussion on the promises of God?

I am most interested in the promises that we experience in this lifetime but I am sure someone will rightly add our eternal home.

The first two that come to my mind are:
1. Jesus Christ, the Messiah is a promise of God that we experience in this lifetime and
2. Romans 8:28 I put a lot of hope and take great comfort in knowing that God will bring good out of everything if we are are His

Do you see how good can come from what otherwise is nothing but bad?

The best example I can think of is the trodding of grapes. Good wine comes (only) from the crushing of grapes. From the perspective of a grape, you’d call harvest time a bad day. And a visit to the wine press isn’t a good experience for the grape. But good flows from the process.

Do you see how good can come from what otherwise is nothing but bad?

The best example I can think of is the trodding of grapes. Good wine comes (only) from the crushing of grapes. From the perspective of a grape, you’d call harvest time a bad day. And a visit to the wine press isn’t a good experience for the grape. But good flows from the process.
I can give you a real life example of good coming from what most call evil

Leap day of 1980 I was heading to an appointment at a new office. I got lost and as a result, I came to a railroad crossing. I stopped, looked, listened, upon determining it was clear I proceeded to cross the tracks. Just as I got on the tracks, I glanced to my left and I couldn't imagine how big that train looked! The train hit the car where the front fender and the door meet (my side of the car) The car was thrown from the tracks. When it stopped moving, I climbed out and went to get help. I had a gash over my eye, a cut on my ear, and some bruises. There wasn't enough room in the car for my legs but I literally walked away. There was a fatal accident at the same crossing the week before and the week after my accident. All that could be salvaged from the car was ONE TIRE.

People from the church kept telling me that God wanted to draw me closer to Him through the accident but as hard as I tried, I wasn't getting any closer not through effort or yielding. I struggled with this for years. Then one year, God gave me Romans 8:28 as my promise for the year. I held it in my heart. That year, a woman I worked with was having some serious issues and asked if we could talk. As we talked I told her about the train and the promise of God and though I didn't know how or why or if He would use it for good I had to trust His promise that He would. She asked me to work for her that night. The next day she came running in and said, "we have to talk". When we got to talk she told me of borrowing a car and driving to a tracks. She told of sitting on the tracks and waiting. She told of seeing the train coming and in that moment she remembered what I said and drove off the tracks. She lived because God brought good out of what most would call a bad situation.

As I said, even if I don't always see the good, I take comfort in God's promise to bring good from it no matter what.

Back