• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Philosophy The Philosophy of Daoism

P

patrick jane

The Philosophy of Daoism​

Daoism - Eastern Philosophy Series. Daoism is one of the great philosophical and religious traditions of China. Emphasizing balance, spontaneity, and action without intention, it is often contrasted with the rigid rituals and social order proposed by Confucianism. We'll explore the philosophical concept of the Dao and how it interacted with South Asian Buddhist ideas to give rise to a new and distinctive Buddhism in China.

1 hour 30 minutes

The Philosophy of Daoism​

Daoism - Eastern Philosophy Series. Daoism is one of the great philosophical and religious traditions of China. Emphasizing balance, spontaneity, and action without intention, it is often contrasted with the rigid rituals and social order proposed by Confucianism. We'll explore the philosophical concept of the Dao and how it interacted with South Asian Buddhist ideas to give rise to a new and distinctive Buddhism in China.

1 hour 30 minutes

I looked into this a lot because the Dao seems to be really similar to the Logos. People keep assuring me that the Dao and the Logos are not the same, but I don't know, they seem really, really similar.

I looked into this a lot because the Dao seems to be really similar to the Logos. People keep assuring me that the Dao and the Logos are not the same, but I don't know, they seem really, really similar.

Indeed, all is one; the tao is the universal flow, natural principle supporting, guiding the creation and all that is. I had a 'Taoism' thread on TOL and we almost got thru a commentary series on 'The Tao Te Ching', but only half way. Knight did a purge of older threads or some system reformat and we lost some of the older threads. In any case,...the 'flow' of that particular stream came to a halt.

Yin-Yang-Symbol-e1415056676586.jpg

The Tao Te Ching is a wonderful text, with many insights into the nature of things.

------------o

It's strange how Taoism seems contradictory and logical at the same time...

This first "book" is really the Taoist "bible", it's only 81 very short chapters that because of how strange they are, take relatively much time to read
The Tao Te Ching has been "translated" (maybe more like interpreted) hundreds of times, and there are many freely viewable versions available on the internet.

Lao-tzu - Tao Te Ching

The second "book" is another well-known Taoist scripture.
Much of it about ridiculing Confucianists (THE other Chinese philosophy/religion).

Chuang Tzu

You can sum up Daoism into one little popular saying:
"Go with the flow."

Since all souls have something of the mind and spirit of 'God' within them, all religions of man from the dawn of time have had some reflection of 'god-truth' within them, hence their religious systems are both 'evolutional' and 'revelatory', depending in what time and dispensation they emerged from and have evolved :)

All we can do is go with the flow, since Life/Nature itself is the creative flow of Spirit and Consciousness, thats all there is :)

Call it 'God' if you like. Much is a matter of language and symbols, but its all arising in the Ocean of Light that is consciousness itself, so consciousness is the fundamental reality, no matter what concepts, forms or images of 'God' arise.

Since the 'tao' is the natural movement of Creator/Creation....it is 'God'. - if you go with its flow, you will do well, because nothing can unfold outside of divine providence. 'God' is so much more than we can ever think of or imagine, but is the Source of every-thing that we can ;)

--------o

Since all souls have something of the mind and spirit of 'God' within them, all religions of man from the dawn of time have had some reflection of 'god-truth' within them, hence their religious systems are both 'evolutional' and 'revelatory', depending in what time and dispensation they emerged from and have evolved
From your perspective what does "all souls" mean?
Man, angels, animals, plants, rocks????

And what is it that they are supposed to "evolve" into?

All we can do is go with the flow, since Life/Nature itself is the creative flow of Spirit and Consciousness, thats all there is
Going with the flow can have negative consequences, while resistance can have positive consequences.
And vice versa.

We don't just have spirit and consciousness, we have physical bodies that have needs and can act.

Call it 'God' if you like. Much is a matter of language and symbols, but its all arising in the Ocean of Light that is consciousness itself, so consciousness is the fundamental reality, no matter what concepts, forms or images of 'God' arise.
While you are in a flesh body, consciousness it not the only reality.
You are going to need unconscious things such as food, clothing, shelter. etc.

Since the 'tao' is the natural movement of Creator/Creation....it is 'God'. - if you go with its flow, you will do well, because nothing can unfold outside of divine providence.
I would have to disagree that the natural movement of creation is God.
Creation has boundaries, God does not.

'God' is so much more than we can ever think of or imagine, but is the Source of every-thing that we can ;)
I don't see that as an accurate statement.
One can imagine things that are not true.

From your perspective what does "all souls" mean?
Man, angels, animals, plants, rocks????

I referred there to human souls :)

All else is still arising in the omnipresence of 'God', as there is no outside of infinity.

Whatever potential or possibilities are latent within them to be expressed or actualized. That make sense? :)

Going with the flow can have negative consequences, while resistance can have positive consequences.
And vice versa.

Yes,...universal law of karma. One can choose what is good and life enhancing, to flow with the Spirit.

We don't just have spirit and consciousness, we have physical bodies that have needs and can act.

Consciousness includes bodies too, everything of course.

I would have to disagree that the natural movement of creation is God.
Creation has boundaries, God does not.

All that is divinely created is from 'God' :) - the whole cosmos is moving along by universal laws inherent in and established by the Creator. 'Karma' (action) has its effects and consequences however we describe such actions. All things are in flow :)

I don't see that as an accurate statement.
One can imagine things that are not true.

I find it a pretty rational statement to see 'God' as being the Source of everything, allowing all potentials and possibiltiies to exist, for anything potential to be actualized in some form. That seems to be what Creation is all about. Whatever mind can imagine or create, has unlimited potential along the lines of its own laws and possibilities, so infinity allows all these potentials and actuals to exist. They will FLOW as they will by various factors that determine their movements. Again, this is what Creation is. - thats all that is going on! - now if you want to stop the flow, then there would be a cessation of life, creativity, potential, possibility. All things spring from some original potency which allows their becoming. There is 'be-ing' and 'be-coming',...they are synergestic.

---------------o

Whatever potential or possibilities are latent within them to be expressed or actualized. That make sense?
Sense? For practicality, no.
Man doesn't evolve into something that is not man no matter how much he grows or learns or experiences.

What do you think you have you evolved into?

Yes,...universal law of karma. One can choose what is good and life enhancing, to flow with the Spirit.
I don't think "karma" is the law of creation, but is a made-up term that has no practical meaning.

All that is divinely created is from 'God' :) - the whole cosmos is moving along by universal laws inherent in and established by the Creator. 'Karma' (action) has its effects and consequences however we describe such actions. All things are in flow
Your feelings and experiences are not created.
God is not the cause of your feelings or actions.
If He were the cause, then it would be fate of the puppeteer and you would be the puppet unable to aspire to anything of your own free will.

Indeed, all is one; the tao is the universal flow, natural principle supporting, guiding the creation and all that is. I had a 'Taoism' thread on TOL and we almost got thru a commentary series on 'The Tao Te Ching', but only half way. Knight did a purge of older threads or some system reformat and we lost some of the older threads. In any case,...the 'flow' of that particular stream came to a halt.

View attachment 1185

The Tao Te Ching is a wonderful text, with many insights into the nature of things.

------------o

The Bible Gods word, not of men has no equal or mentor.

Simply another of the many private interpretations as personal commentaries or what I would call Johnny come lately .Private interpretations (the confederacy ). They as philosophies of men are are not part of the armor of God (sola scriptura) .

Sense? For practicality, no.
Man doesn't evolve into something that is not man no matter how much he grows or learns or experiences.

All life, energy, consciousness evolves. All potentials and possibilities emerge to create new forms, dimensions of experience, context, relativity........infinity has infinite potential.

What do you think you have you evolved into?

I AM. I am becoming whatever I will to be-come (this is the root meaning of the divine nature or 'name' being 'ahayah').....that is the God-power and potential within consciousness itself. - it will be modified and conditioned only by those laws and factors that determine its formation. - thats the innate reality that IS. - all else is a passing field of perceptions, an illusion of perspectives conditioned by point of view. The only reality you know, is that you EXIST and are AWARE. - all else is relative. What is absolute is always what alone is absolute, always being at the core and root of everything that is or ever will be.

I don't think "karma" is the law of creation, but is a made-up term that has no practical meaning.

'Karma' simply means 'action', or 'doing'...and includes all the causal/effects/dynamics/consequences of any action done whatsoever, so its a term that is all-inclusive to life as we know it. Where there is movement or action of any kind, there is 'karma'. The west has a distorted or limited view of the term, which further research would better elucidate. " whatever a man sows, that also shall he reap, 'God' (the law) is not mocked....this is a universal law.......it applies in all worlds where cause/effect or relativity exists....and naturally so. Daily thoughts, words and deeds SURELY are practically real, as you experience your own karma every day, and its effects whether immediate or further along the line of effects. - So 'karma' is ever important to life as we know it, unless you live a life entirely FREE of activity and its effects. Follow? - you create your own heaven or hell, literally and experientially by your own thoughts, words, and actions.....how you navigate and expereince existence.....that is YOUR part of the play in creation.

Your feelings and experiences are not created.
God is not the cause of your feelings or actions.
If He were the cause, then it would be fate of the puppeteer and you would be the puppet unable to aspire to anything of your own free will.

My former commentary holds, for a deeper contemplation of the subject. All creation originates from the Prime Creator, so all souls are 'co-creators' as well to some degree in their interactivity within the Whole,.......there is the individual and the Universal.....all are inter-related and inter-relating. We are co-creators to the degree that our power of thought and choice effects anything whatsoever.

There is self-responsibility and free will of course interacting within divine providence......this is the whole collective of creative consciousness unfolding in the cosmos. You of course have your part to play and determine, while providence and other divine powers and controllers operate in their own realm, but all is within one grand context of CREATION with One universal Supreme Power upholding all things, allowing certain co-creative liberties within the Matrix to play out. - this is all that is going on. - certainly much more than we can think or imagine, and way beyond what one religious book or cult can assume or prescribe as the whole of truth. There is always MUCH MORE.

-----------------o

Back