• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Scripture study of the Immortal Soul (spirit of man/woman)

M

MatthewG

Why do people not believe in the immortal soul? The soul (spirit of Man/Woman) is composed of (mind/will/emotion) of an individual that is housed inside of a body - that is formed in the womb of the woman, that is created by God (of course some factors of what a person does to their body while pregnant does cause some problems during creation of the baby inside of the womb.)

• Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returneth to the earth as it was, And the spirit returneth to God who gave it.

• Matthew 10:28 And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

• Luke 12:20 `And God said to him, Unthinking one! this night thy soul they shall require from thee, and what things thou didst prepare -- to whom shall they be?

• 1 Corinthians 15:54 and when this corruptible may have put on incorruption, and this mortal may have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the word that hath been written, `The Death was swallowed up -- to victory;

• Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them, and the souls of those who have been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus, and because of the word of God, and who did not bow before the beast, nor his image, and did not receive the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand, and they did live and reign with Christ the thousand years;
Accordingly to scripture - souls live on in the afterlife ; before Jesus Christ and his return souls (or the spirit of man/woman) would reside in Sheol (the covering place of the dead - those who had died and passed away on earth.)

These scriptures make it clear that the soul (spirit of man) continues on after this life that soul is a part of you as a person now today. There are two destinations in my best estimation today, for people to go to that is the Heavenly Realm - being outside of the Kingdom having died not being a child of or a Son or Daughter of God. The second or first however you decide to apply this is in the new Heavenly Jerusalem where God resides inside of the the new spiritual city, according to Revelation 22.

• Revelation 22:14-15
  • 14 `Happy are those doing His commands that the authority shall be theirs unto the tree of the life, and by the gates they may enter into the city;
  • 15 and without [are] the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the whoremongers, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and every one who is loving and is doing a lie.

Why do people not believe in the immortal soul? The soul (spirit of Man/Woman) is composed of (mind/will/emotion) of an individual that is housed inside of a body - that is formed in the womb of the woman, that is created by God (of course some factors of what a person does to their body while pregnant does cause some problems during creation of the baby inside of the womb.)

• Ecclesiastes 12:7 And the dust returneth to the earth as it was, And the spirit returneth to God who gave it.

• Matthew 10:28 And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

• Luke 12:20 `And God said to him, Unthinking one! this night thy soul they shall require from thee, and what things thou didst prepare -- to whom shall they be?

• 1 Corinthians 15:54 and when this corruptible may have put on incorruption, and this mortal may have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the word that hath been written, `The Death was swallowed up -- to victory;

• Revelation 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given to them, and the souls of those who have been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus, and because of the word of God, and who did not bow before the beast, nor his image, and did not receive the mark upon their forehead and upon their hand, and they did live and reign with Christ the thousand years;
Accordingly to scripture - souls live on in the afterlife ; before Jesus Christ and his return souls (or the spirit of man/woman) would reside in Sheol (the covering place of the dead - those who had died and passed away on earth.)

These scriptures make it clear that the soul (spirit of man) continues on after this life that soul is a part of you as a person now today. There are two destinations in my best estimation today, for people to go to that is the Heavenly Realm - being outside of the Kingdom having died not being a child of or a Son or Daughter of God. The second or first however you decide to apply this is in the new Heavenly Jerusalem where God resides inside of the the new spiritual city, according to Revelation 22.

• Revelation 22:14-15
  • 14 `Happy are those doing His commands that the authority shall be theirs unto the tree of the life, and by the gates they may enter into the city;
  • 15 and without [are] the dogs, and the sorcerers, and the whoremongers, and the murderers, and the idolaters, and every one who is loving and is doing a lie.
According to scripture, the soul is just breath. @MatthewG It is clear that the mind or spirit can live without a body, and minds or spirits are put in the bodies like the sons of God who are not human.

Hello to you Shroom, and 7th,

I simply believe what Jesus said about the two resurrections, if there was not such thing as resurrection I would believe people who accept this non-immortal soul view.

There was another person, trying to suggest otherwise on another site as well.

• “and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.”
  • ‭‭John‬ ‭5:29‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
All the souls/spirits that perished in Noah’s time where apparently still alive according to Peter.
  • For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, angels and authorities and powers having been made subject to Him.”
  • ‭‭I Peter‬ ‭3:18-22‬ ‭NKJV‬

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh either way it goes.

As stated previously

All the souls/spirits that perished in Noah’s time where apparently still alive according to Peter.

Which before the resurrection of Christ all souls/spirits where kept in Sheol, or hell (they both mean the same thing : the covering place of the dead that was separated from God) Abraham, Issac, Jacob all went to hell, there are two compartments Paradise and prison.

What do you believe about the afterlife then @7thMoon do you have some other view?
It is in the gospels. ἀνάστασις and ἔγερσις are entirely different concepts; there is some intentional apostolic ambiguity in the resurrection word ἀνάστασις too.

Imagine having the power of an angel's body. That's the "resurrection" body.

Thank you for sharing and answering.

I personally believe God is going to give a spiritual body to unbelievers and believers that is a biblical promise as shared earlier. We might be like angels but I don’t think we actually be angels. Founded in 1 Corinthians 15.

Either way it seems you fo believe in an afterlife but where does your soul/spirit go when you die? For you personally what is it you believe @7thMoon that is my last question.

Thank you for sharing and answering.

I personally believe God is going to give a spiritual body to unbelievers and believers that is a biblical promise as shared earlier. We might be like angels but I don’t think we actually be angels. Founded in 1 Corinthians 15.

Either way it seems you fo believe in an afterlife but where does your soul/spirit go when you die? For you personally what is it you believe @7thMoon that is my last question.
I am a Unitarian Full Preterist.

Which before the resurrection of Christ all souls/spirits where kept in Sheol, or hell (they both mean the same thing : the covering place of the dead that was separated from God) Abraham, Issac, Jacob all went to hell, there are two compartments Paradise and prison.
Actually, God has been waking people into the paradise since Abel.

Back