• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Religious Iconography

S

Sissy

The following iconography was a common form to mean supreme deity or most high god. across many ancient cultures such as Egypt, Assyria, Mesopotamia, Babylon, and even Israel.

1628209614702.png

1628209659214.png

1628209723543.png

1628209759619.png
Seal of King Hezekiah (one of the few righteous kings of Judah).
(700-800 years before the birth of Christ)

Instances of protective bird imagery in the Hebrew Bible were used only to refer to the Most High God's protection.

A few examples:

Deuteronomy 32 ESV​
(11) Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions,​
(12) the LORD alone guided him, no foreign god was with him.​
Ruth 2 ESV​
(12) The LORD repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!”​
Psalms 36 ESV​
(7) How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.​

The following iconography was a common form to mean supreme deity or most high god. across many ancient cultures such as Egypt, Assyria, Mesopotamia, Babylon, and even Israel.

View attachment 33

View attachment 34

View attachment 35

View attachment 36
Seal of King Hezekiah (one of the few righteous kings of Judah).
(700-800 years before the birth of Christ)

Instances of protective bird imagery in the Hebrew Bible were used only to refer to the Most High God's protection.

A few examples:

Deuteronomy 32 ESV​
(11) Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that flutters over its young, spreading out its wings, catching them, bearing them on its pinions,​
(12) the LORD alone guided him, no foreign god was with him.​
Ruth 2 ESV​
(12) The LORD repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!”​
Psalms 36 ESV​
(7) How precious is your steadfast love, O God! The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.​

Ancient Aliens...... obviously!

1628214979550.png

Matthew 23 ESV
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!

Matthew 23 ESV
(37) O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!
This has been proclaimed by others and very well appears to be the main theme of the Bible and the WORD of GOD. His trying to get Israel to love him as much as He loves them.

p.s. Going to be a long night, My dog just got bitten by a Copperhead.

Blade

This has been proclaimed by others and very well appears to be the main theme of the Bible and the WORD of GOD. His trying to get Israel to love him as much as He loves them.

p.s. Going to be a long night, My dog just got bitten by a Copperhead.

Blade

Not funny I know, but I saw this pic this morning... dog bitten by snake.

1628218900846.png

Reminded me of Jiminy Glick...

1628218980991.png

Cloud Rider

Descriptive imagery used for only the supreme god of ancient cultures, including Israel.

Here's a short 6 minute video comparing this terminology of YHWH and Baal (well known god of the cultures surrounding Israel) and how that terminology was only used of supreme deity.

Descriptive imagery in Hebrew Bible of YHWH.

Deuteronomy 33​
“There is none like the God of Jeshurun,​
Who rides the heavens to your help,​
And through the skies in His majesty.​
Isaiah 19​
(1) The oracle concerning Egypt.​
Behold, the Lord is riding on a swift cloud and is about to come to Egypt;​
Psalms 68​
(32) O kingdoms of the earth, sing to God; sing praises to the Lord, Selah​
(33) to him who rides in the heavens, the ancient heavens; behold, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.​
Psalm 104​
(3) He lays the beams of His upper chambers in the waters;​
He makes the clouds His chariot;​
Daniel 7 KJV​
(9) I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool: his throne was like the fiery flame, and his wheels as burning fire.​
(10) A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him: thousand thousands ministered unto him, and ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him: the judgment was set, and the books were opened.​
(11) I beheld then because of the voice of the great words which the horn spake: I beheld even till the beast was slain, and his body destroyed, and given to the burning flame.​
(12) As concerning the rest of the beasts, they had their dominion taken away: yet their lives were prolonged for a season and time.​
(13) I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.​
(14) And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.​

This should be particularly noteworthy when Christ answers the high priest:

Matthew 26​
(63) But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.​

So Jesus gives it to him with both barrels so there will be no misunderstanding.

(64) Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.​
and the response of the high priest was .....

(65) Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.​

He knew exactly what Jesus was claiming ---- that He was the Cloud Rider of scripture.

Trinitarian iconography is interesting, though not all trinitarians endorse it. Here is one famous example. There are, of course, many other examples.

What is the position of trinitarian members of the forum on this example in particular, and other examples in general?

Attachments

• 1628827957197.jpeg
    1628827957197.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
Back