• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Lake of Fire

S

Sissy

Dr. Michael Heiser explores where the imagery of the lake of fire in the New Testament is found in OT scriptures and the book of Enoch.
With ties to Azazel.

50 minute audio video

Book of Encoch
CHAPTER 10 verses 1-15

1. Then said the Most High, the Holy and Great One spake, and sent Uriel to the son of Lamech, and said to him: 2. '〈Go to Noah〉 and tell him in my name "Hide thyself!" and reveal to him the end that is approaching: that the whole earth will be destroyed, and a deluge is about to come upon the whole earth, and will destroy all that is on it.

3. And now instruct him that he may escape and his seed may be preserved for all the generations of the world.'

4. And again the Lord said to Raphael: 'Bind Azâzêl hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening in the desert, which is in Dûdâêl, and cast him therein.

5. And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever, and cover his face that he may not see light.

6. And on the day of the great judgement he shall be cast into the fire. And heal the earth which the angels have corrupted, and proclaim the healing of the earth, that they may heal the plague, and that all the children of men may not perish through all the secret things that the Watchers have disclosed and have taught their sons.

8. And the whole earth has been corrupted through the works that were taught by Azâzêl: to him ascribe all sin.'

9. And to Gabriel said the Lord: 'Proceed against the bastards and the reprobates, and against the children of fornication: and destroy [the children of fornication and] the children of the Watchers from amongst men [and cause them to go forth]: send them one against the other that they may destroy each other in battle: for length of days shall they not have.

10. And no request that they (i.e. their fathers) make of thee shall be granted unto their fathers on their behalf; for they hope to live an eternal life, and that each one of them will live five hundred years.'

11. And the Lord said unto Michael: 'Go, bind Semjâzâ and his associates who have united themselves with women so as to have defiled themselves with them in all their uncleanness.

12. And when their sons have slain one another, and they have seen the destruction of their beloved ones, bind them fast for seventy generations in the valleys of the earth, till the day of their judgement and of their consummation, till the judgement that is for ever and ever is consummated.

13. In those days they shall be led off to the abyss of fire: to the torment and the prison in which they shall be confined for ever. And whosoever shall be condemned and destroyed will from thenceforth be bound together with them to the end of all generations.

15. And destroy all the spirits of the reprobate and the children of the Watchers, because they have wronged mankind. Destroy all wrong from the face of the earth and let every evil work come to an end: and let the plant of righteousness and truth appear: ⌈and it shall prove a blessing; the works of righteousness and truth⌉ shall be planted in truth and joy for evermore.

Book of Enoch
chapter 21 verses 1-10

1. And I proceeded to where things were chaotic.

2. And I saw there something horrible: I saw neither a heaven above nor a firmly founded earth, but a place chaotic and horrible.

3. And there I saw seven stars of the heaven bound together in it, like great mountains and burning with fire.

4. Then I said: 'For what sin are they bound, and on what account have they been cast in hither?'

5. Then said Uriel, one of the holy angels, who was with me, and was chief over them, and said: 'Enoch, why dost thou ask, and why art thou eager for the truth?

6. These are of the number of the stars ⌈of heaven⌉, which have transgressed the commandment of the Lord, and are bound here till ten thousand years, the time entailed by their sins, are consummated.'

7. And from thence I went to another place, which was still more horrible than the former, and I saw a horrible thing: a great fire there which burnt and blazed, and the place was cleft as far as the abyss, being full of great descending columns of fire: neither its extent or magnitude could I see, nor could I conjecture.

8. Then I said: 'How fearful is the place and how terrible to look upon!'

9. Then Uriel answered me, one of the holy angels who was with me, and said unto me: 'Enoch, why hast thou such fear and affright?' And I answered: 'Because of this fearful place, and because of the spectacle of the pain.'

10. And he said ⌈unto me⌉: 'This place is the prison of the angels, and here they will be imprisoned for ever.'

Lake of Fire
in New Testament

Matthew 25:41 ESV
(41) “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Rev_19:20 And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.

Rev_20:10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Rev_20:14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
Rev_20:15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Rev_21:8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Azazel

Lev_16:8 And Aaron shall cast lots over the two goats, one lot for the LORD and the other lot for Azazel.

Lev_16:10 but the goat on which the lot fell for Azazel shall be presented alive before the LORD to make atonement over it, that it may be sent away into the wilderness to Azazel.

Lev_16:26 And he who lets the goat go to Azazel shall wash his clothes and bathe his body in water, and afterward he may come into the camp.

Lake of fire, the prison created for the devil and his angels.

Jude 1:6-7 ESV
(6) And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day —
(7) just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

2 Peter 2:4 ESV
(4) For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment;

1 Peter 3:18-20 ESV
(18) For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,
(19) in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison,
(20) because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water.

There’s no coming back from the fire that consumes. The second death is a terrifying but merciful extinction event.

It's practical.

The association made in scripture is one where a tree is pruned to benefit the tree, and the cuttings burned-- not to "punish" the pruned branches, but simply to be rid of them.

It's practical.

The association made in scripture is one where a tree is pruned to benefit the tree, and the cuttings burned--

Yes. Consumed in the fire, the branches cease to exist. All that remains is ashes.

not to "punish" the pruned branches, but simply to be rid of them.

Execution is punishment. Those who will be thrown into the lake of fire are being executed; their lives ended. They will cease to exist. They will, as you said, be rid of. All that will remain of them is ashes.

There’s no coming back from the lake of fire. There is no living forever in the lake of fire. Those who are destroyed in the lake of fire are denied immortality.

Yes. Consumed in the fire, the branches cease to exist. All that remains is ashes.

Execution is punishment. Those who will be thrown into the lake of fire are being executed; their lives ended. They will cease to exist. They will, as you said, be rid of. All that will remain of them is ashes.

There’s no coming back from the lake of fire. There is no living forever in the lake of fire. Those who are destroyed in the lake of fire are denied immortality.

I can see that. I consider it a consequence, rather than a punishment, per se. It has an end-- it isn't torment, it's final and it terminates an act-- that being judgment. Is it a punishment? Sure. Is it kinder and more merciful than the alternative? I do think so.

Back