• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Jesus' Commands Are Always Impossible...

G

Grace Accepted

Jesus's commands are always impossible for the fallen flesh to obey. That is why it is a mistake to think that Christ's commands provide us a ladder to Salvation. I once bought into this fallacy myself and figured if I could achieve a certain level of obedience and God could look on my heart and see my desires to be perfect it would suffice for Him to issue my reward of a golden ticket to heaven.

After many years of effort, I eventually had carved out my own Litany of rules that I assigned to Christ that I found I could obey and declared myself a candidate for heaven as long as I was careful and diligent. Of course, this lifestyle carved away love and relationship from my spirituality and I became cold and judgmental of those whose litany of rules were different from mine.

Although it took a lot of hard knocks and deep soul-searching, Christ has eventually begun to crack that shell and show me that his commands are all encapsulated in love the Lord your God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. Or to put it simply agape. So all my litany is worth nothing but trash and there's one single rule: agape. Sadly, when I looked even here on this forum at my past posts I am sorely lacking in agape. So, can I get busy and just start obeying Christ and exhibiting agape to everyone? Yeah, right!

So, I've exchanged all of my very difficult Litany of rules and regulations which I could manage obeying some of the time for Christ one rule which is totally impossible for me to obey. Agape blew me out of the water, it put the lie all my pretense, excuses, ego, and self-justification for behaviors that did not fit either into my former rule book or agape.

Here are just a few changes you will experience when obeying Christ's command for us to live in agape.

• > You will be patient
  • > You will be kind
  • > You will endure and still love
  • > You will be humble
  • > You won't be jealous
  • > You won't be proud
  • > You won't be envious
  • > You won't be conceited
  • > You won't be rude
  • > You won't act unbecomingly.
  • > You won't insist on your own rights or your own way,
  • > You won't be self-seeking
  • > You won't be touchy
  • > You won't take into account the evil done to you.
  • > You won't pay any attention to wrongs you have suffered
  • > You won't rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoice when right and truth prevail.
  • > You'll bear up under everything
  • > You'll ever be ready to believe the best of every person
This is just a partial list of what agape will look like in you but this list is created by agape in you, IT DOES NOT create agape in you. Trying to perform this list with a conscious effort in order to win God's approval is futile. Just look at the way we often post to each other. Find the most ardent advocate of works for reward proponent (which can often be ourselves). How does this fruit measure up?

This is why we must resist our flesh, submit to God and the devil will flee from us. This can only happen by the miracle of God working in us with our full cooperation. May God bless all who truly seek Him.

@Grace Accepted

Your message is a little confusing...so, to clarify, are you saying no one can obey anything Jesus says to do to be saved, and that God has to save you first before you can do anything he says to do?

@Grace Accepted

Your message is a little confusing...so, to clarify, are you saying no one can obey anything Jesus says to do to be saved, and that God has to save you first before you can do anything he says to do?
It seems to be a bit more nuanced than that. In our lost condition, humans do not have even the knowledge of what God wants. You and I create a definition of what sin is means based on what we read in the bible but each person's list is different. For instance, while you and @Studyman agree that doing works is important for salvation and that one should obey God, you both disagree on what constitutes sin and obedience. I doubt that you would feel that buying and selling on Saturday is a sin whereas He would see it as such. You probably do not observe the feast days whereas He would count you a sinner for doing so.

That is just one example. I have met people who believe that wearing jewelry is a sin. When I attended a Baptist Church in my area we received strict guidance on how we were to dress on Sunday and ladies were told to never wear pants to church. When I attended a large Baptist Church in the city, everyone wore pants. Man and women.

So how do we come to know God's will for us? He does not appear to be one-sizes-fits-all but is personal instead. The overriding principle is agape which is not to be confused with what we call love. Agape produces the list I made in the OP. If we think we can do that list in order to obey Christ, just let someone disagree with one of our posts and see how well we endure. See how well we strive to still think the best of that person. See how fast we run to defend our egos.

So yes, we need God's intervention to be saved. Our part is to submit to His healing and never resist Him.

It seems to be a bit more nuanced than that. In our lost condition, humans do not have even the knowledge of what God wants. You and I create a definition of what sin is means based on what we read in the bible but each person's list is different. For instance, while you and @Studyman agree that doing works is important for salvation and that one should obey God, you both disagree on what constitutes sin and obedience. I doubt that you would feel that buying and selling on Saturday is a sin whereas He would see it as such. You probably do not observe the feast days whereas He would count you a sinner for doing so.

That is just one example. I have met people who believe that wearing jewelry is a sin. When I attended a Baptist Church in my area we received strict guidance on how we were to dress on Sunday and ladies were told to never wear pants to church. When I attended a large Baptist Church in the city, everyone wore pants. Man and women.

So how do we come to know God's will for us? He does not appear to be one-sizes-fits-all but is personal instead. The overriding principle is agape which is not to be confused with what we call love. Agape produces the list I made in the OP. If we think we can do that list in order to obey Christ, just let someone disagree with one of our posts and see how well we endure. See how well we strive to still think the best of that person. See how fast we run to defend our egos.

So yes, we need God's intervention to be saved. Our part is to submit to His healing and never resist Him.

I am not concerned about sin. The sin problem has ALREADY been resolved by Jesus Christ. God now sees me as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. If you worry about sinning, you will sin. Romans 7:7-12.

It seems to be a bit more nuanced than that. In our lost condition, humans do not have even the knowledge of what God wants.
Well, that is not true, God tells us what He wants.
You and I create a definition of what sin is means based on what we read in the bible but each person's list is different. For instance, while you and @Studyman agree that doing works is important for salvation and that one should obey God, you both disagree on what constitutes sin and obedience.
I don't know what Studyman believes, but regardless, it doesn't mean I am wrong. We need the scriptures to show the truth. So many are taught wrong by their teachers, and it is hard for some to see.
For instance, you just said humans do not have even the knowledge of what God wants. That is not true, for God tells us what He wants.
I doubt that you would feel that buying and selling on Saturday is a sin whereas He would see it as such. You probably do not observe the feast days whereas He would count you a sinner for doing so.

That is just one example. I have met people who believe that wearing jewelry is a sin
The Bible warns about falling from grace by trying to do the purification works of the law.
. When I attended a Baptist Church in my area we received strict guidance on how we were to dress on Sunday and ladies were told to never wear pants to church. When I attended a large Baptist Church in the city, everyone wore pants. Man and women.
What you wear is not how one gets saved and get understanding for the other scriptures.
So how do we come to know God's will for us?
It is written in the Bible.
He does not appear to be one-sizes-fits-all but is personal instead.
God doesn't play favoritism and His word doesn't change. He is the Truth and the Way. It is the same way for all.
The overriding principle is agape which is not to be confused with what we call love.
It is love, and no one has to use another language to know and understand God.
Agape produces the list I made in the OP. If we think we can do that list in order to obey Christ, just let someone disagree with one of our posts and see how well we endure. See how well we strive to still think the best of that person. See how fast we run to defend our egos.
Just because someone gets mean on here, it doesn't alter the truth.
We have to obey to get saved. Jesus tells us how to get saved. You say no, but then again, you say you fail at all the ways to obey even after being saved. So what is your point?
We have to obey Jesus on how to get saved, it is the same for everyone.

I am not concerned about sin.
When one wants to be saved, they have to promise God that they will die to the sins of the world and live to please Jesus. We die and are crucified with him.
The sin problem has ALREADY been resolved by Jesus Christ. God now sees me as perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10. If you worry about sinning, you will sin. Romans 7:7-12.
Romans 7 is about those under the law.

Romans 7:1 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?

God sees you as perfect and holy when you are saved, and then you are to live up to that.

Philippians 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Well, that is not true, God tells us what He wants.
God can not tell a dead person what He wants. The dead do not hear him. Those dead to God decide what God has told them and since they decided it, they are convinced that they are right and all else are wrong. But it is evident that they are not filled to overflowing with agape since they fail almost every test of it.
I don't know what Studyman believes, but regardless, it doesn't mean I am wrong. We need the scriptures to show the truth. So many are taught wrong by their teachers, and it is hard for some to see.
Only the Holy Spirit can put agape in a new heart. God gives us new hearts.
For instance, you just said humans do not have even the knowledge of what God wants. That is not true, for God tells us what He wants.
You have imagined that he has told you what He wants and since you believe that this is what He wants you cannot consider any other thing than what you believe. But do you bear all things? Are you kind? Are you never rude? etc. This puts the lie to our own notion of holiness.
The Bible warns about falling from grace by trying to do the purification works of the law.

What you wear is not how one gets saved and get understanding for the other scriptures.
That is what you believe and yet others differ with you and believe that God has given instructions on modesty, so if you wear immodest clothing, you are disobeying God which disqualifies you from heaven. And they determine what is modest and what is not.

It is written in the Bible.

God doesn't play favoritism and His word doesn't change. He is the Truth and the Way. It is the same way for all.
The way you interpret the bible may be very different than how the next guy interprets it. If your body is the temple of the Holy SPirit are you not defiling God's temple by drinking caffeine?

It is love, and no one has to use another language to know and understand God.

Just because someone gets mean on here, it doesn't alter the truth.
It disqualifies their message. Bad fruit comes from bad trees.

We have to obey to get saved. Jesus tells us how to get saved. You say no, but then again, you say you fail at all the ways to obey even after being saved. So what is your point?
That is what you believe so since you believe that that is what God is saying, then you will not consider any other point of view. Does this belief flow from the agape of God in you?

We have to obey Jesus on how to get saved, it is the same for everyone.
There is a difference between obeying God because He first loved you and gave His Son for you and loving God in order to get saved.

Remember the prodigal son simply came home and was reinstated as a son without doing any act of obedience.

When one wants to be saved, they have to promise God that they will die to the sins of the world and live to please Jesus. We die and are crucified with him.

Romans 7 is about those under the law.

Romans 7:1 Do you not know, brothers and sisters—for I am speaking to those who know the law—that the law has authority over someone only as long as that person lives?

God sees you as perfect and holy when you are saved, and then you are to live up to that.

Philippians 3:16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
You have a do-it-yourself salvation. We have ALREADY been crucified with Christ. The whole world has ALREADY been crucified with Christ. When Jesus died on the cross all of humanity died with him. All sin has ALREADY been atoned for. This is why Jesus is the savior of the whole world, Jesus said, "I came not to judge the world, BUT TO SAVE THE WORLD" John 12:48.

All that have faith in Jesus are complete in Jesus, Colossians 2:10.

You need to accept what Jesus has ALREADY done for you, instead of trying to do-it-yourself.

What if God's intervention and Healing is His instruction? Your message has always been confusing and somewhat hypocritical in my view. I have never said random "works" from random self proclaimed "ministers of righteousness" are important for Salvation. My whole point is to exalt and Honor God by pointing out HIS Works, that HE CREATED For Man to "walk" in, or as Paul says "For our sake's no doubt", or in another place, "for our examples" and again, "for our admonition". While "Many" in the religions of this world you promote, preach to the world that God's Works are old news, obsolete and not made for us at all, but only for Jews. These are opposing doctrines that are so prevalent in the religious voices of this world since the very beginning. God and His Holy Word say one thing, while the "other voice" in the garden says something else. I am simply advocating God's Word over the popular religious philosophies of this world that you promote.

GT is saying to obey God. You are saying to "submit to His Healing and "Never" resist Him".

How does your definition of "never resist Him" differ from GT's definition of "obey Him"?

So who was it that commanded not to fool around with another's wife? Who was it who said not to "work" which would of course include buying and selling your wares on HIS Holy Sabbaths?

It's not that we see the instruction or understand it differently GA. It's that you reject much of HIS instruction outright, while I believe Jesus in that God's instruction, including HIS Sabbaths, were written specifically for men. It is HIS intervention and Healing that I am NOT resisting, while you promote a religion which accepts almost any "work", but the "Work's" God Created beforehand that we should walk in them.

The "works" of your religion, or Baptists, or any religious franchise of this world, are not the concern in any of my posts. But "EVERY" Word of the Father Jesus gave us, that are Spirit and Life, these are the Word's we should consider, in my view.

Jesus' Commands Are Always Impossible...

You don't seem to believe in God's power obviously.

Jesus says with God anything is possible.

You don't seem to believe in God's power obviously.

Jesus says with God anything is possible.
Welcome meshak! You made it! :)

...not much activity left on TF, except for wings hatin' on everyone.

God can not tell a dead person what He wants.
We have God's written word. Not everyone is spiritually dead. We are flesh and spirit. Those who are spiritually dead are the ones who only want to please their flesh. Not everyone only wants to please their flesh.
The dead do not hear him. Those dead to God decide what God has told them and since they decided it, they are convinced that they are right and all else are wrong.
They don't want to give up their sins.
But it is evident that they are not filled to overflowing with agape since they fail almost every test of it.
You can speak English and say love.
No one is going to receive God's Spirit if they don't obey Jesus, the Way.
Only the Holy Spirit can put agape in a new heart. God gives us new hearts.
The new heart comes when you repent of your sins, just as the scriptures say,
You have imagined that he has told you what He wants and since you believe that this is what He wants you cannot consider any other thing than what you believe.
I only go by the scriptures, not by what people tell me it means.
But do you bear all things? Are you kind? Are you never rude? etc. This puts the lie to our own notion of holiness.
You say you do those things, and claim you are saved. So again, you don't obey before or after, correct?
That is what you believe and yet others differ with you and believe that God has given instructions on modesty, so if you wear immodest clothing, you are disobeying God which disqualifies you from heaven. And they determine what is modest and what is not.
We do have to dress modestly. We have to obey God and not sin by trying to only please our flesh.
The way you interpret the bible may be very different than how the next guy interprets it.
Just read what it says, and those who obey are given wisdom.
If your body is the temple of the Holy SPirit are you not defiling God's temple by drinking caffeine?
Caffeine? Do you believe drinking caffeine is a sin?
That is what you believe so since you believe that that is what God is saying, then you will not consider any other point of view.
I have been in false denominations. I want to help others. I listen very carefully to their beliefs and understand how they misunderstand.
There is a difference between obeying God because He first loved you and gave His Son for you and loving God in order to get saved.
The Bible doesn't make a distinction like that. That kind of word twisting comes from teachers promoting their beliefs.
Remember the prodigal son simply came home and was reinstated as a son without doing any act of obedience.
Well for one thing, he was a son. You have to become a son. Jesus tells you how to become a son.

Back