• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Is God Insincere With The Gospel Offer?

I

ICHTHUS

Is God Insincere With The Gospel Offer?

“And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15)

The phrase, “παση τη κτισει”, means, “to every creature”. The use of the singular, “παση” is important, as it means that the Gospel Message is not simply a “general” one, but to “every” human being!. This is exactly what the Apostle Paul says in Colossians 1:23, “if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the Gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister”

There are some who will argue from their theology, that all this means, is, that initially the Gospel Message was intended for the Jews only, and thereafter to the Gentiles also. However, while this is true, this does not mean that there is any “limitation” on who the Gospel was to be preached to. The entire world consists of just two groups, Jews and Gentiles. If you were the one, then you were not the other. But, this is the sum-total of the entire human race, and not the “majority”, or any other distinction.

What is The Gospel Message that we are to proclaim to the entire human race? Paul tells us this in 1 Corinthians 15:

“Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the Gospel which I preached to you... For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures” (1, 3, 4)

Here it is very clear, that the Gospel Message that we are to proclaim to the entire world, is, “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures”

The Gospel Message is a universal one, to be proclaimed to not just some select groups, but to the entire human race, as the Bible clearly tells us. It is important to not what this Message consists of Biblically. “that Christ died for our sins”. It is clear from this, that the OUR must include the entire human race that this Gospel Message is to be proclaimed to. There is nothing here to suggest that it is only for the “elect”! Paul says in verse 11, “Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed”. That this Message had to be “believed” in, “by which you are also saved” (verse 2). In Acts chapter 13 we read of Paul’s preaching the Gospel to some Jews, “Then Paul and Barnabas grew bold and said, “It was necessary that the word of God should be spoken to you first; but since you reject it, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, behold, we turn to the Gentiles” (v.46). These Jews “rejected” this Gospel Message, and “considered themselves unworthy of eternal life”, not what God “considered”. Here we have the two groups, the Jews, and the Gentiles (non Jews), who are the entire human race.

It is the One Gospel Message of Salvation from sins in the Lord Jesus Christ, that is to be proclaimed to the entire human race. There is no indication that this Message is to be proclaimed to any “select” few, as some falsely teach. This Gospel, Good News, is only that of Salvation, and not of damnation, which is not really “Good News” for anyone. If, as some suppose, that the Gospel of Salvation is intended for the “elect” only, then why does the Lord Jesus Christ, the Apostle Paul, and others, use universal language, which is clearly for the entire human race? Paul is very clear of this in Romans 11:32, “For God has shut up all in disobedience, so that He may show mercy to all”. God has “concluded” that the entire human race (τους παντας) is guilty of “disobedience”, the very sin that Adam and Eve were guilty of. Again, contextually we read of the Jews and Gentiles, which, as we know, are the sum-total of the human race. There is no exception. Paul then goes on to say, “that He may show mercy to all”. Notice that the Greek here is identical to the first part, “τους παντας”. This does not teach universal salvation, which is very clear from Paul’s use of “ελεηση”, which is in the subjunctive mood, “MIGHT (not WILL) show mercy”. The sinner must “repent and believe in the Gospel” (Mark 1:15), before they can be saved, as these are the two “conditions” that God has placed for any sinners salvation.

If the Gospel Message is universal, as the Bible clearly teaches, then, it must mean that the Death of Jesus Christ is also universal, as Paul has told us what this Gospel is, “that Christ died for our sins”, which is clearly universal! To suggest otherwise, is to say that God is insincere, when He commands “that the Christ would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations (παντα τα εθνη), beginning from Jerusalem” (Luke 24:46-47) Both the Jews and the Gentiles, the entire human race!

“He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him” (John 3:36)

Is God Insincere With The Gospel Offer?​

The simple answer; No, God is not insincere.

Fear not, little flock;
for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

Luke 12:32

God isn’t insincere. He wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4).

“For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day …)

(1 Corinthians 15:3ff., NASB)

What Paul delivered was of first importance, not the only thing of importance. If Christ hadn’t died and been resurrected back to life then nothing else he had to say would have been of any importance. Everything stands or falls on the resurrection of Jesus.

Paul preached the same gospel message that Jesus and all of the Apostles preached.

What the OP has done isn’t uncommon. He has offered the reader a truncated gospel. He has separated Jesus from his words - his words which are spirit and life (John 6:63). His words are the seed of immortality. Listen to what Jesus said. Believe, repent and be baptized.

“Many people today think that the essence of Christianity is the teachings of Jesus. That isn’t so. The teachings of Jesus are somewhat secondary to Christianity. If you read the Apostle Paul, which makes up about half of the New Testament, you’ll see almost nothing whatsoever said about the teachings of Jesus. Not one of his parables is mentioned. In fact, throughout the rest of the New Testament there’s little reference to the teachings of Jesus in the Apostles’ Creed, the most universally held Christian creed, there’s no reference to the teachings of Jesus or to the example of Jesus. In fact, in recounting Christ’s earthly life, the creed simply states that He was ‘born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and was buried.’ It mentions only two days in Jesus’ life - that of his birth and that of his death. Christianity centers not in the teachings of Jesus but in the person of Jesus as the incarnate God who came into this world to take upon Himself our guilt and to die in our place.”

(D.James Kennedy and Jerry Newcombe, The Presence of a Hidden God, 2008, “How I Know Jesus Is God,” p. 82)

Will the reader allow these men to talk you out of listening to the life-giving words of the Messiah?

A mute Jesus isn’t the Jesus of the New Testament.

“And a voice came from the cloud, saying, ‘This is my Son, whom I have chosen; listen to him.’”

(Luke 9:35)

Who doesn’t want man to hear the words of Jesus?

“Now the parable is this: the seed is the word of God. Those beside the road are those who have heard ; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their heart so that they will not believe and be saved.”

(Luke 8:11-12)

“Hear then the parable of the sower. When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road.”

(Matthew 13:18-19)

“The sower sows the word. These are the ones who are beside the road where the word is sown; and when they hear, immediately Satan comes and takes away the word which has been sown in them.”

(Mark 4:14-15)

The word of God, the word of the kingdom, the word, is the gospel which Jesus and the Apostles preached.

It’s the devil, the evil one, Satan, who doesn’t want anyone to hear the words of Jesus, his message, the gospel of the kingdom. The word, the message that he and the Apostles preached, are essential to salvation and life in the age to come.

Don’t listen to Jesus? His words aren’t the essence of Christianity? They’re only of secondary importance? The creed puts no value on them. Paul wasn’t interested in the teachings of Jesus?

That’s the devil attempting to snatch away the seed that gives life.

“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

(1 Peter 5:8)

Back