• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Information about the book of Hebrews

I like Hebrews 11:1 definition for "Faith" and Hebrews 6:19 definition for "Hope." There is a question of who wrote Hebrews.

I like Hebrews 11:1 definition for "Faith" and Hebrews 6:19 definition for "Hope." There is a question of who wrote Hebrews.
Many people think it is Paul because of what the epistle emphasizes.

Greetings MatthewG
Credit: Summary Bible Nkjv Edition
Yes I agree that this is a good summary. I hold the view that Paul was the writer. At the bottom of the article it suggests that Hebrews was written between AD 60-96. I believe that it must have been written before AD 70 when the Temple and Jerusalem was destroyed and the inhabitants taken captive. The believers were warned to flee before this, and the Book of Hebrews was designed to encourage the believers in Christ to sever their allegiance to Judaism, Jerusalem and the Temple Hebrews 13:12,13,14.

Kind regards
Trevor

Paul speaks a lot about going back to the law to the Galatians. Who has bewitched you? Wasn't that what he told them. Judaizers was a form of the Material Religion of the Jewish people correct? Having reverting back to the Moses and what He had brought forth, along with the Levites and what they were to do? Going back to sacrifices and things of the nature was what Paul talks about in Galatians I believe. Have not sat and read it in a long time, Galatians in a good chapter also that brings forth the workings of the flesh, and that of the spirit, it is because of Jesus Christ being the life of the believer that they stay connected to God in faith believing on the one whom he had sent, and rose again from the dead.

Paul speaks a lot about going back to the law to the Galatians.
It is clear that he is talking about ceremonial law, not the moral law.

You need to know the difference which obviously you don't know.

Greetings meshak,
It is clear that he is talking about ceremonial law, not the moral law.
You need to know the difference which obviously you don't know.
This is a fine line, but the Law of Moses is a complete whole and this should not be split into two portions, ceremonial law and moral law. The SDAs like to do this so that they can claim that the Sabbath is binding on the Gentiles today. Paul considers this subject in his Letter to the Romans and the whole section from the latter verses of Romans 6, through Romans 7 and the early verses of Romans 8 could be quoted relevant to this. Perhaps a few verses will give some indication:
Romans 6:12–15 (KJV): 12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. 15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
We are under the moral constraints of the Life in Christ, with Christ as our example, and the fact that his sacrifice was as our representative and not substitute, then we need to live the crucified / resurrected life. But we are not under The Law, and this is speaking about the moral side of The Law. The Jews who were under The Law failed to keep it and they crucified Christ.

Romans 7:4–11 (KJV): 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter. 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet. 8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence (or, coveting). For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
It is interesting in the above Paul illustrates the problem and failure by quoting the 10th Commandment.

Romans 8:2–3 (KJV): 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Deliverance and salvation is by means of Christ, and his death and resurrection, not by means of obeying the Law of Moses.

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings meshak,

This is a fine line, but the Law of Moses is a complete whole and this should not be split into two portions, ceremonial law and moral law.
Jesus abolished most ceremonial laws.

Jesus condemned the Pharisees because they did not practice moral laws but were so strict about ceremonial law.

Paul's "law" was a ceremonial law that told them that it is futile to practice for salvation.

Back