• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

IDOLATRIES in Christendom

Wrangler

Site Supporter
Once upon a time, as a child my understanding of the 2nd Commandment, the prohibition against IDOL worship was a prohibition against worshipping statues as gods. I thought how silly our ancestors were to worship the golden calf, etc. As I became an adult, I put away childish ways and realized IDOLATRY is the worship of anything manmade. The semantic argument we make with ourselves is less about what an IDOL is and more in denial that we are worshipping these things.

According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, worship includes regarding with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion. Therefore, it is not about words, what people claim they worship but their actions. A working definition I use is IDOLATRY is anything one creates as an obstacle to keep onerself or others from God. Below is not meant to be a comprehensive list and I may edit the OP as others identify other IDOLS common in Christendom. Since 6 is the number of man that is a good number to kick us off.
  1. Original Sin: Doctrines & Knowledge, generally
  2. Trinity & Man-is-God Thesis
  3. ETC, Eternal Conscious Torment
  4. Translation, KJVO-ism
  5. Christian Unity/One right Denomination
  6. OSAS
ORIGINAL SIN: Doctrines & Knowledge, generally. I don't know that we need to turn each one into a debate of it being an IDOL but I do want to elaborate on the 1st one. Like the perniciousness of the sin of pride, Original Sin continues to plague humanity, in general, and Christendom, in particular. If you remember the Original Sin was us choosing KNOWLEDGE over God. I have my friends in the Jehovah Witnesses to thank for realizing this form of IDOLATRY remains pervasive in Christendom.

Whereas the simple Gospel is salvation is through accepting Jesus as our master and savior, they develop this elaborate system of "education" or indoctrination of their members. Many non-JW's see JW as a cult. This is especially true of former JW's, including my son-in-love. (My church does not use the term "in law" but prefers to acknowledge the more precise motive for the relationship, love). This "knowledge" or indoctrination becomes a firewall of control. Rather than being free indeed, in Christ, they are enslaved by their denominations legalism.

What are your thoughts regarding ongoing IDOLATRY in Christendom?

God does not lie.
God does not do evil.

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.
Jonah 3:10

Once upon a time, as a child my understanding of the 2nd Commandment, the prohibition against IDOL worship was a prohibition against worshipping statues as gods. I thought how silly our ancestors were to worship the golden calf, etc. As I became an adult, I put away childish ways and realized IDOLATRY is the worship of anything manmade. The semantic argument we make with ourselves is less about what an IDOL is and more in denial that we are worshipping these things.

According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, worship includes regarding with great or extravagant respect, honor, or devotion. Therefore, it is not about words, what people claim they worship but their actions. A working definition I use is IDOLATRY is anything one creates as an obstacle to keep onerself or others from God. Below is not meant to be a comprehensive list and I may edit the OP as others identify other IDOLS common in Christendom. Since 6 is the number of man that is a good number to kick us off.
  1. Original Sin: Doctrines & Knowledge, generally
  2. Trinity & Man-is-God Thesis
  3. ETC, Eternal Conscious Torment
  4. Translation, KJVO-ism
  5. Christian Unity/One right Denomination
  6. OSAS
ORIGINAL SIN: Doctrines & Knowledge, generally. I don't know that we need to turn each one into a debate of it being an IDOL but I do want to elaborate on the 1st one. Like the perniciousness of the sin of pride, Original Sin continues to plague humanity, in general, and Christendom, in particular. If you remember the Original Sin was us choosing KNOWLEDGE over God. I have my friends in the Jehovah Witnesses to thank for realizing this form of IDOLATRY remains pervasive in Christendom.

Whereas the simple Gospel is salvation is through accepting Jesus as our master and savior, they develop this elaborate system of "education" or indoctrination of their members. Many non-JW's see JW as a cult. This is especially true of former JW's, including my son-in-love. (My church does not use the term "in law" but prefers to acknowledge the more precise motive for the relationship, love). This "knowledge" or indoctrination becomes a firewall of control. Rather than being free indeed, in Christ, they are enslaved by their denominations legalism.

What are your thoughts regarding ongoing IDOLATRY in Christendom?

You've focused on what I would call doctrines and dogma. Every flavor of Christianity has their own soup of the day version. Can these be considered idolatry? I suppose so in a broad sense. I tend to think of these things in terms of religious practices-- certainly obstacles, yes. Some denominations or sects set up their beliefs as hoops to jump through, bars to jump over or boxes to check -- and they create litmus tests that one must pass in order to be "a true Christian." This practice was one of the primary motivations for creating this site originally. I used to belong to a forum where these folks ruled the roost-- and even at our 'other' forum (and many other Christian sites) members have to sign on to a certain creed or make some sort of 'statement of faith' in order to be allowed a voice. Not so here. This is the neighborhood pub version of forum life, where you don't have a clue who might belly up to the bar, walk through the door, or rub elbows with. All are welcome- and if all you want to do is pick a fight--- you'll get bounced. We'll monitor and moderate behavior, not conversation.

Idolatry is a symptom of a disease. It's primarily an "I" problem. It's when you narrow your vision toward created things, rather than the Creator/Father of all. The creatures become a fixation-- the creation pre-eminent. And the Father- forgotten. We, ourselves become the only important thing, everything else- an afterthought.

Every flavor of Christianity has their own soup of the day version. Can these be considered idolatry?
I’m clearly drawing a line between mere traditions (soup of the day) and IDOLATRY.

My church celebrates communion on the 1st Sunday of the month. They have the congregation stand upon reading God’s word. When the Lead Pastor retired and the new Lead Pastor took over, the reading switched from NIV to NLT. And it confesses to be grace biased.

Yet, they don’t invoke any of these to keep people from Christ. None of these are IDOLS.

I hope you understand the line I’m drawing.

Is there a faction of Christianity (as opposed to any particular individual who self-identifies as Christian) which considers worship of Yahweh to be idolatry?

Is there a faction of Christianity (as opposed to any particular individual who self-identifies as Christian) which considers worship of Yahweh to be idolatry?

You should be able to answer this yourself. Early Christians considered this. They were labeled gnostics.

Give that man a kewpie doll.

Gnosticism is on the spectrum of Christianity.

It's not only 'on the spectrum' --it's on the timeline and there it's as close to the beginning of the timeline of Christianity as there is. It was the first set of ideas that required thinking outside the box that Moses carried around.

It's not only 'on the spectrum' --it's on the timeline and there it's as close to the beginning of the timeline of Christianity as there is. It was the first set of ideas that required thinking outside the box that Moses carried around.

Gnosticism rejects what Moses carried around in a box. It denigrates Yahweh, the God of Moses.

Back