• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Howdy from Texas

Hi, @Adrift! Be sure to visit the "Hello All" thread if you didn't know the curious circumstances of my banning - or "self-banning," as the case may be - at Christianity Boards. I never mind being banned, but it would be nice to have something like a rational basis.

Howdy everyone. I was invited to this forum by St. SteVen. I also missed O'Darby from another forum. I'm looking forward to some great conversations.
Good to see you. Thanks for joining us.

What part of Texas? I was born in Tyler.

/

Good to see you. Thanks for joining us.

What part of Texas? I was born in Tyler.

/
Wild! When I was in advertising, I worked for a Phoenix manufacturer of air conditioning equipment, McGraw-Edison, that had some sort of plant in Tyler originally owned by a company called A. F. Thompson. Just before I entered law school, I bought a home in Taylor, AZ. I used to drive myself crazy by trying to pronounce Taylor and Tyler in such a way that anyone could tell the difference.

Wild! When I was in advertising, I worked for a Phoenix manufacturer of air conditioning equipment, McGraw-Edison, that had some sort of plant in Tyler originally owned by a company called A. F. Thompson. Just before I entered law school, I bought a home in Taylor, AZ. I used to drive myself crazy by trying to pronounce Taylor and Tyler in such a way that anyone could tell the difference.
LOL - That;s funny.

Just remember that drawl rhymes with Y'all. - LOL
(not sure if that's helpful)

When traveling south from Minnesota, I can start to pick up a slight drawl from Iowa residents.
I suppose they think we sound like Canadians, eh?

/

LOL - That;s funny.

Just remember that drawl rhymes with Y'all. - LOL
(not sure if that's helpful)

When traveling south from Minnesota, I can start to pick up a slight drawl from Iowa residents.
I suppose they think we sound like Canadians, eh?

/
When I, a native Arizonan who has no accent at all, moved to Rochester, NY with Xerox, people said they could "tell from my accent I wasn't from around here." Perhaps no accent is an accent in itself? Then Xerox moved me to LA and someone in the office told me to hold down my telephone conversations because I was too "East Coast loud." Ya can't win. So I self-banned and moved back to Arizona.

When I, a native Arizonan who has no accent at all, moved to Rochester, NY with Xerox, people said they could "tell from my accent I wasn't from around here." Perhaps no accent is an accent in itself? Then Xerox moved me to LA and someone in the office told me to hold down my telephone conversations because I was too "East Coast loud." Ya can't win. So I self-banned and moved back to Arizona.
Growing up in Minnesota I always thought it was strange that national news reporters spoke in a Midwestern "accent". (no accent)
Did you notice that? Maybe it sounded like a Phoenix accent (no accent) to you?

/

Growing up in Minnesota I always thought it was strange that national news reporters spoke in a Midwestern "accent". (no accent)
Did you notice that? Maybe it sounded like a Phoenix accent (no accent) to you?

/
Rochester was always described by those in the know as more of a midwestern city than a NY one, and I didn't notice any NY accent there - which makes it doubly odd that they thought I had an accent. I never noticed any particular "news reporter" accent, however. My brother-in-law was a Top 40 DJ and TV newscaster with a fabulous voice who was offered a national job with NBC. His voice was so practiced and perfected that he couldn't stop - it was a hoot to hear him answer the phone or ask my sister to pass the mashed potatos in his Top 40 DJ voice.

Back