• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

How to Get Into The Big Game

G

Grace Accepted

I attended a baseball game last summer and stood in line to enter the stadium. The man in front of me was decked out in all of the local team's regalia, jersey, hat, sunglasses with the mascot imprinted on it and he was clutching a program and a giant number one foam hand with its pointer finger extended. I, on the other hand, merely had on a white T-shirt shorts flip-flops and a generic hat. When we arrived at the gate, the man realized he’d forgotten his ticket.

The poor guy with all the accouterments, paraphernalia, and team jersey couldn’t gain admission but I, with my simple ticket did.

If the big game is eternal life in God's Kingdom. What is a simple ticket? Forget all the complex theological terms for a moment, the post-that, and pre-this, the modalist, the millennialist, etc.

What is the ticket that gets us into the Big Game where all truth will finally be revealed?

Spoiler Alert!

“But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, and he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?’ And the man was speechless. “Then the king said to the servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

I attended a baseball game last summer and stood in line to enter the stadium. The man in front of me was decked out in all of the local team's regalia, jersey, hat, sunglasses with the mascot imprinted on it and he was clutching a program and a giant number one foam hand with its pointer finger extended. I, on the other hand, merely had on a white T-shirt shorts flip-flops and a generic hat. When we arrived at the gate, the man realized he’d forgotten his ticket.

The poor guy with all the accouterments, paraphernalia, and team jersey couldn’t gain admission but I, with my simple ticket did.

If the big game is eternal life in God's Kingdom. What is a simple ticket? Forget all the complex theological terms for a moment, the post-that, and pre-this, the modalist, the millennialist, etc.

What is the ticket that gets us into the Big Game where all truth will finally be revealed?
Believing

The short answer in my POV is union with Jesus, the Savior, though there are three involved in this. The Father sends, the Son delivers (saves), the Holy Spirit seals and sanctifies, the individual with Christ's righteousness. This is done by God's grace and through faith. So I guess it could be said that the Father's grace is the ticket that gets us into the Big Game. Or even the new birth.

The short answer in my POV is union with Jesus, the Savior, though there are three involved in this. The Father sends, the Son delivers (saves), the Holy Spirit seals and sanctifies, the individual with Christ's righteousness. This is done by God's grace and through faith. So I guess it could be said that the Father's grace is the ticket that gets us into the Big Game. Or even the new birth.So the Father bought our ticket with His son's blood and gives it to us?

That would make our decision making abilities the ticket. Is that what you are saying? We are the ticket?
No, the salvation provided by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is the ticket.

God freely gives tickets to people who choose to believe.

When we choose to believe the gospel, yes.
Yes, ultimately God does not force the gospel unto us, he offers it to us as a gift. But I would say that the Holy Spirit is the one that makes the gospel plain to us.

That would make our decision making abilities the ticket. Is that what you are saying? We are the ticket?
At this point, I see it this way. Jesus is the light that lights every human. It is beyond us to choose to believe something we don't understand. So The Holy Spirit enlightens us and gives us understanding. We then can choose to receive it or reject it. My knowledge of God grows as the years pass, so that is why I say, "at this point."

"Suffragette City"

(Hey man) Oh, leave me alone, you know
(Hey man) Oh, Henry, get off the phone, I gotta
(Hey man) I gotta straighten my face
This mellow-thighed chick just put my spine out of place
(Hey man) My schooldays insane
(Hey man) My work's down the drain
(Hey man) Well, she's a total blam-blam
She said she had to squeeze it but she, and then she

Oh, don't lean on me, man, 'cause you can't afford the ticket
Back from Suffragette City
Oh, don't lean on me, man, 'cause you ain't got time to check it
You know my Suffragette City
Is outta sight
She's all right

(Hey, man) Oh, Henry, don't be unkind, go away
(Hey, man) I can't take you this time, no way
(Hey, man) Dear droogie, don't crash here
There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes

Is outta sight
She's all right
Oh, hit me

Don't lean on me, man, 'cause you can't afford the ticket
And don't lean on me, man, 'cause you ain't got time to check it
Is outta sight
Whoa, she's all right

A Suffragette City
A Suffragette City
I'm back on Suffragette City
I'm back on Suffragette City
Whoa, Suffragette City
Ooh, Suffragette City
Ooh-how, Suffragette City
Ooh-how, Suffragette City
Ooh-how, Suffragette
Oh, wham, bam, thank you, ma'am!
A Suffragette City
A Suffragette City
Quite all right
A Suffragette City
Too fine
A Suffragette City
Ooh, a Suffragette City
Oh, my Suffragette City
Oh, my Suffragette City
Oh, Suffragette
Suffragette!

Yes, ultimately God does not force the gospel unto us, he offers it to us as a gift. But I would say that the Holy Spirit is the one that makes the gospel plain to us.
Then it is made plain to everyone. God wants everyone to be saved (1 Tim 2:4).

Back