• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Forty Days

S

Sissy

There are several instances of "40 days" throughout scripture that can be discussed in this thread.
Thought it might be beneficial to list all the instances separately and afterwards discuss what their significance might be and what the common denominator is between them.

So list any instances in scripture you remember with a duration of 40 days so we can have a full list of all of them.

This is one of them:

Goliath and his taunting of the Israelite army under King Saul lasted 40 days.​
The taunting of Goliath
1 Samuel 17 ESV​
(8) He stood and shouted to the ranks of Israel, “Why have you come out to draw up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and are you not servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves, and let him come down to me.​
(9) If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will be your servants. But if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall be our servants and serve us.”​
(10) And the Philistine said, “I defy the ranks of Israel this day. Give me a man, that we may fight together.”​
.​
.​
(16) For forty days the Philistine came forward and took his stand, morning and evening.​

Here's another...

Genesis 7:12 And the rain fell upon the earth for forty …

11 in the six hundredth year of noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month, all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened.
12 and the rain fell upon the earth for forty days and forty nights.
13 on that very day noah entered the ark, along with his sons shem, ham, and japheth, and his …

What can it coincide with...

Revelation 12:15 Context​

12Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
13And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.
14And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
15And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
16And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
17And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Exodus 24:17,18

Now the appearance of the glory of Yahweh was like a devouring fire on the to of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud and went up on the mountain. And Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.

Exodus 34:28

So he was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets thecwords of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.

The 12 Israelites spied out Canaan for 40 days.

(Num 13:25) After exploring the land of Canaan forty days,
(Num 13:26) the twelve men returned to Kadesh in the Paran Desert and told Moses, Aaron, and the people what they had seen. They showed them the fruit
(Num 13:27) and said: Look at this fruit! The land we explored is rich with milk and honey.
(Num 13:28) But the people who live there are strong, and their cities are large and walled. We even saw the three Anakim clans. (CEV)

Exodus 24:17,18

Now the appearance of the glory of Yahweh was like a devouring fire on the to of the mountain in the sight of the people of Israel. Moses entered the cloud and went up on the mountain. And Moses was on the mountain forty days and forty nights.

Exodus 34:28

So he was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights. He neither ate bread nor drank water. And he wrote on the tablets thecwords of the covenant, the Ten Commandments.
That's a good one.
Moses spent 40 days on that mountain twice.

Deuteronomy 10 ESV
(10) I myself stayed on the mountain, as at the first time, forty days and forty nights, and the LORD listened to me that time also. The LORD was unwilling to destroy you.

The 12 Israelites spied out Canaan for 40 days.

(Num 13:25) After exploring the land of Canaan forty days,
(Num 13:26) the twelve men returned to Kadesh in the Paran Desert and told Moses, Aaron, and the people what they had seen. They showed them the fruit
(Num 13:27) and said: Look at this fruit! The land we explored is rich with milk and honey.
(Num 13:28) But the people who live there are strong, and their cities are large and walled. We even saw the three Anakim clans. (CEV)
Another good addition.
Thanks.

Here's another one:

Elijah refreshes for his journey to Horeb

1 Kings 19 ESV
(8) And he arose and ate and drank, and went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights to Horeb, the mount of God.

So far we have:

Goliath taunting of the Israelite army
Rain days of Noah's Ark flood
Moses on Mt. Sinai (twice)
Jesus appearing to many after His resurrection
Jesus tempted by the Devil
The 12 Israelites spied out Canaan
Elijah refreshes for his journey to Horeb

Numbers 14:33-34

And your children shall wander in the wilderness forty years, and bear your whoredoms, until your carcases be wasted in the wilderness.

34 After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.

Back