• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Fair and Charitable Debate

A

Augustine

Give this a listen. Just put aside the usual jabs and barbs for once and give it a listen.

It is an mp3 of an old episode of the "Bible Answer Man", a protestant AM radio show. The guest is (a very young) Dr. Scott Hahn. He is a former Presbyterian Pastor who became a Catholic and is now Professor of Scripture & Theology at Franciscan University in Steubenville. His counter-part on the show, ironically, is a former Catholic who became a Presbyterian!

I like this recording because both sides are charitable and fair. You won't see charges of "apostasy" and "traditions of men" tossed about between these two thoughtful men. And even though I am no fan of the "Bible Answer Man", he plays a pretty fair moderator on this episode. It really is good to listen to, and is a fine example of how people of differing views really ought to debate in love, respect, and charity. (Yes yes, I know I am no saint when it comes to that matter, so I will listen again too.)

Here is the link, and I hope to hear thoughtful comments: http://www.philvaz.com/ScottHahnBAM1990.mp3

Give this a listen. Just put aside the usual jabs and barbs for once and give it a listen.

It is an mp3 of an old episode of the "Bible Answer Man", a protestant AM radio show. The guest is (a very young) Dr. Scott Hahn. He is a former Presbyterian Pastor who became a Catholic and is now Professor of Scripture & Theology at Franciscan University in Steubenville. His counter-part on the show, ironically, is a former Catholic who became a Presbyterian!

I like this recording because both sides are charitable and fair. You won't see charges of "apostasy" and "traditions of men" tossed about between these two thoughtful men. And even though I am no fan of the "Bible Answer Man", he plays a pretty fair moderator on this episode. It really is good to listen to, and is a fine example of how people of differing views really ought to debate in love, respect, and charity. (Yes yes, I know I am no saint when it comes to that matter, so I will listen again too.)

Here is the link, and I hope to hear thoughtful comments: http://www.philvaz.com/ScottHahnBAM1990.mp3

Hank Hanegraaff (aka the Bible Answer Man) is an interesting character in that he was very much (from memory) a Calvinist -Dutch Reformed apologist who then became a preternatural evangelical and now I think has been converted/baptized as a Greek Orthodox or some such thing. A wealth of information, some of it correct.

Yes, it’s nice when folks give and are given the grace to agree or disagree. (aka enough rope to hang themselves).

Hank Hanegraaff (aka the Bible Answer Man) is an interesting character in that he was very much (from memory) a Calvinist -Dutch Reformed apologist who then became a preternatural evangelical and now I think has been converted/baptized as a Greek Orthodox or some such thing. A wealth of information, some of it correct.

Yes, it’s nice when folks give and are given the grace to agree or disagree. (aka enough rope to hang themselves).

There is a guy called kiltergaurd or something, have you heard of a name similar to that spelling ? I have heard people say the name, and he was sometime of philosopher or theologian person who studied the bible perhaps?

There is a guy called kiltergaurd or something, have you heard of a name similar to that spelling ? I have heard people say the name, and he was sometime of philosopher or theologian person who studied the bible perhaps?

Søren Kierkegaard

Augustine, good mp3, thank you for sharing.

Thank you. I hope you found it interesting.

"rope to hang themselves". If that is how you view respectful charitable debate, then maybe you are in the wrong business.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CUn-E55S5U

These episodes are good too. The host is obviously biased and a bit unfair to the Catholic, but he doesn't talk very much. All the episodes are good, and the Protestant is actually legally minded enough to speak the same language as the Jesuit, which makes it interesting.

Typically ive found a Catholic or an orthodox will outclass a protestant who doesn't know any history or have a solid background in apologetics and it just isn't interesting to watch. But here they found a good representative of actual protestant thought instead do a random Baptist who doesn't know anything but his kjv Bible.

I haven’t seen Dr. John Ankerberg’s program in years. He was heavily biased, and that always struck me the wrong way when watching his program.

Dr. Walter Martin is deceased. He was a very good teacher and I recommend his books to our readers.

I still watch Father Mitch Pacwa regularly. He’s a very good teacher and I highly recommend him to our readers.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CUn-E55S5U

These episodes are good too. The host is obviously biased and a bit unfair to the Catholic, but he doesn't talk very much. All the episodes are good, and the Protestant is actually legally minded enough to speak the same language as the Jesuit, which makes it interesting.

Typically ive found a Catholic or an orthodox will outclass a protestant who doesn't know any history or have a solid background in apologetics and it just isn't interesting to watch. But here they found a good representative of actual protestant thought instead do a random Baptist who doesn't know anything but his kjv Bible.

Thank you.

I still watch Father Mitch Pacwa regularly. He’s a very good teacher and I highly recommend him to our readers.

Good recommendation

Why debate at all? As soon as a debate begins, people dig in their heels and harden their hearts.

Isn’t there a better way?

Why debate at all? As soon as a debate begins, people dig in their heels and harden their hearts.

Isn’t there a better way?

I quite like your approach-- which fosters discussion. It's inquisition-based.

Please don't put anyone on the rack though. 😅

1713454884773.png

Back