• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

enemies made His footstool???

Greetings again Sissy,

My perspective is based upon many prophesies such as Psalm 8, Psalm 72, Isaiah 2:1-4, Daniel 2:35-44, Zechariah 14, Acts 1:11, 3:19-21.

But Psalm 110 speaks of him sitting at the right hand of God "until", and the enemies that he will be dealing with are Kings. God and Jesus have control of kings and rulers today, but Jesus will overcome the kingdoms of men by smashing the image on the feet when he returns Daniel 2:35,44. 1 Corinthians 15:21-23 speaks of the return of Jesus to raise the dead, and then speaks of a period of time in which he rules and overcomes all enemies, and death is only the very last of these. I do not know your worldview, or view of the religious sequence of events of how the present world of wickedness will be transformed into the picture presented in
Habakkuk 2:14 (KJV): For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Also 1 Corinthians 15 is quoting, alluding to, and expounding Psalm 8 which speaks of the New Creation, and this is not speaking about Jesus staying in heaven but completing the role of the First Adam who failed, having dominion over the earth, concepts also taken up in Isaiah 11.

Kind regards
Trevor
That's why I'm kicking around questions concerning eschatological viewpoints.
Until one (of any viewpoint) makes a determination as to what/who are "His enemies" & what is meant by "make them His footstool", then they can't make a determination as to when it takes place.
And depending on which definition you choose, it will skew your eschatological view.

Forget trying to fit things to a millenium and just read it. The passage is about the award to Christ for his action of sacrificing for its sins. The way this comes across in Acts 2--4 is that he deserves full honor by rulers and common people now, but those who refuse will be crushed on the last day. Then it doesn't matter if you figure out the millenium. The whole universe seems to be changed on the last day. https://www.amazon.com/ENTHRONED-KING-HIS-KINGDOM-OPPOSITION/dp/B08WVCFMMY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1CERYXS6XDTS3&keywords=sanford+enthroned+king&qid=1641997472&s=books&sprefix=sanford+enthroned+king,stripbooks,3593&sr=1-1

So much is missed by trying to figure out the Mill. What should matter to us is 'what do we say to the world right now?'

Don't assume the Mill the way you are. It has scant support, really. Other than lots of repetition, I don't know why people shape so much around it. It simply doesn't show in many scenarios: Mt 24 etc, 2 Peter 3, Heb 9, Thess.

If all you want to do it holler about not wasting time discussing the thread topic, then leave this thread alone and let those that do want to discuss it respond.

Sin, Death, Satan (Devil) and His Demons, Hell/Sheol, The Beast, False Prophet?

If all you want to do it holler about not wasting time discussing the thread topic, then leave this thread alone and let those that do want to discuss it respond.

But a brief feature in a symbolic book should not have the weight of 3-4 passages that say nothing about it. The same passage (Rev 20) has the complication of # death and # resurrection. Not a good source.

Your question about the enemies is great, but don't reduce it to sequences and millenial slants. The millenium is so worthless as an organizing structure, it blocks and deflects real inquiry.

In Ps 2 and 110, the kings of the earth opposed to Christ are to be thrashed. The apostles applied this so widely that when speaking to the mainstage of Greek philosophy, Paul said the destruction of Christ's enemies was proved by the resurrection. That's applying Ps 110 to all nations, about whom he had just said God 'located them in various places.'

I believe these points matter greatly to the topic , and are not another topic.

Our end game should be like Acts 26: Paul spoke to (the rulers) about righteousness, self-control and the coming judgement. If rulers opposed to Christ are going to be smashed, we should be telling them. In the American setting, to be opposed to Christ incorporates the will of the people (in our Constitution), so we have a very hostile ruling-class right now.

That's why I'm kicking around questions concerning eschatological viewpoints.
Until one (of any viewpoint) makes a determination as to what/who are "His enemies" & what is meant by "make them His footstool", then they can't make a determination as to when it takes place.
And depending on which definition you choose, it will skew your eschatological view.
His enemy is anyone, whether human or spiritual being that is working against the rescue of a people from the bondage of sin and death and actively trying to prevent it. As we see throughout the Bible even Christ's coming trying to be stopped and now we see the attempted prevention of people coming to Christ, perverting the gospel, attempting to demoralize or destroy those in Christ.

All His enemies are made His footstool in the final battle when He smashed the head of the serpent, all the wicked and Satan, the false prophet and the Beast are thrown forever into the burning pit, at Christ's second coming. Then we have all things made new. New Heaven. New Earth. And all along the way, not one is lost.

Psalms 110 ESV
(1) A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”

My first question would be:
Who/what are His enemies?

the rebellious?
sickness, disease?
death?
all of the above?

I see nothing wrong with her first question but that wouldn’t be mine.

My first question would be: who is the person whom Yahweh (the one and only true God) is addressing in the prophecy?

Whoever it is, it is someone who isn’t Yahweh. The New Testament informs us of the addressed human person’s identity.

The next question I would ask would be: Is Yahweh still at this present moment in time engaged in doing for this human person what he said in the prophecy he would do?

As an aside, I would point out to readers that ESV misrepresents the Hebrew word used in reference to the human person addressed by Yahweh. The translation uses the standard English rendering of the Hebrew word Adonai when, in fact, the actual Hebrew word is adoni. This is not an unimportant point.

Last edited:
Back