• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

enemies made His footstool???

S

Sissy

Psalms 110 ESV
(1) A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”

My first question would be:
Who/what are His enemies?

the rebellious?
sickness, disease?
death?
all of the above?

Greetings Sissy,
Psalms 110 ESV (1) A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”
My first question would be: Who/what are His enemies?
The immediate context and teaching of Psalm 110 speaks about human enemies, and I understand that at the return of Jesus to establish his Kingdom upon the earth that some rulers will oppose Jesus.
Psalm 110:1–7 (KJV): 1 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2 The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. 4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. 5 The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. 6 He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries. 7 He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.
the rebellious? sickness, disease? death?
all of the above?
Yes, Jesus will be triumphant over all of these and at the end of the 1000 years death will be abolished. But I suggest that Psalm 110:1 speaks of the present period of time when Jesus is seated at the right hand of God, awaiting the time to return to this earth and replace the present kingdoms of men with the Kingdom of God Daniel 2:35,44, Acts 1:11, Acts 3:19-21, Revelation 3:21-22.

Kind regards
Trevor

Psalms 110 ESV
(1) A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”

the rebellious?
sickness, disease?
death?
all of the above?
Does Jesus Christ hand over the kingdom to the Father after He puts all things under His subjection, after the 1,000 rule on earth?

Does Jesus Christ hand over the kingdom to the Father after He puts all things under His subjection, after the 1,000 rule on earth?
Good question PJ... In the New Heaven and Earth... will it take the form of Earthly-Heavenly Monarchic rule directly from heaven, and Earth its dominion?
You know I never thought of the political formation before now in the New Heaven/Earth!
Any one?

Greetings patrick jane and L.B.
You are alluding to or quoting 1 Corinthians 15 which directly states the following:
1 Corinthians 15:24–28 (KJV): 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
Now I have no problem with these verses as I believe that there is One God, the Father as is stated above and therefore God is a higher authority to Jesus, and at the end of the 1000 years Jesus has finished his delegation to subdue all things, including death.
In the New Heaven and Earth... will it take the form of Earthly-Heavenly Monarchic rule directly from heaven, and Earth its dominion?
You know I never thought of the political formation before now in the New Heaven/Earth!
I have no problem again with 1 Corinthians 15 as I do not believe in immortal souls going to heaven at death, or immortal souls reunited with dead and raised bodies going to heaven at the return of Jesus (rapture? or similar), or the destruction of the heaven and earth at the return of Jesus. The New Heaven and Earth is the same heaven and earth, but will then be under the rule of Jesus, when the Kingdom of God replaces the kingdoms of men. Jesus will be upon the earth administering the Kingdom of God for the 1000 years. When that work is complete he will hand the Kingdom back to God.

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes, Jesus will be triumphant over all of these and at the end of the 1000 years death will be abolished. But I suggest that Psalm 110:1 speaks of the present period of time when Jesus is seated at the right hand of God, awaiting the time to return to this earth and replace the present kingdoms of men with the Kingdom of God Daniel 2:35,44, Acts 1:11, Acts 3:19-21, Revelation 3:21-22.

Kind regards
Trevor
Thanks for offering a perspective, Trevor.

If the rebellious and sickness and disease and death, etc. are all lumped into what constitutes His "enemies", then that would appear to mean that He does not leave the heavenly abode (sitting at the right hand of the Father) until all those "enemies" are made His footstool.

So now the question would be what is meant by "made His footstool".
Would that just mean being subject to Him, or does it go further and mean they can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him?

This line of questioning delves into the pre-millennial notion that He will come again to dwell on earth during the millennium, which would be BEFORE those enemies can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him.
But if "made His footstool" does mean the enemies are forever bound and can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him, then it would seem to indicate that He does not return to dwell on earth until after the millennium when the rebellious, sickness, disease, death, etc. are forever bound in the lake of fire and can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him.

The point I am getting at is whether He leaves the heavenly abode (at the right hand of the Father) to dwell on earth before or after the millennium.
If His "enemies" include death then it cannot be until after the millennium when death is cast into the lake of fire.

In other words, it is a question that challenges the pre=millennial view.

What if the enemies of man are wicked influences outside his mind.

Eph. 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

What if the spiritual wickedness in High Places is darkness in the mind of man.

(KJV) Psalms 110:1 (A Psalm of David.) The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2 The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3 Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. 4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

(CLV) Psalms 110:1 {A Davidic Psalm{ The averring of Yahweh to my Lord:Sit at My right Until I should set Your enemies as a stool for Your feet. 2 The rod of Your strength shall Yahweh send from Zion; Sway among Your enemies. 3 Your people shall be willing in the day of Your potent power; In holy effulgence from the womb of the dawn, You will have the dew of Your childhood." 4 Yahweh has sworn, and He shall not regret:You are a priest for the eon According to the order of Melchizedek.

(Brenton Septuagint Translation) Psalms 109: The Lord said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2 The Lord shall send out a rod of power for thee out of Sion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3 With thee is dominion in the day of thy power, in the splendours of *thy saints: I have begotten thee from the womb before the morning. 4 The Lord sware, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchisedec.

What if this is Speaking of the Christ, the Rock of Israel, who became a man and overcame the "nations" that God did not drive out from before Him.

21 I also will not henceforth drive out any from before them of the nations which Joshua left when he died: 22 That through them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the LORD to walk therein, as their fathers did keep it, or not.

What if these "nations" are symbolic of the influences of this earth/flesh on man's mind? What if The Lord sitting at God's Right Hand, was Jesus being tempted in all ways as all men are, yet by the Rod of God's Power, His Armor and instructions HE created for man, and sent out of Zion, (Salvation is of the Jews) Jesus was able to rule over His own human Flesh.

"And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore (Because of this) God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:"

There are a lot of Scriptures which speak to this understanding, but long posts and all!!! But a couple of things stand out to me. God has no enemies, but the MAN Jesus did while on earth, one of them being death.

"For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death."

Did Jesus the man not rule over the powers and principalities of this world/flesh, and overcome? The last enemy of human mind is death, YES?

Are we not instructed to "put on" the Same Armor Jesus "put on" to resist the wiles of the prince of this world?

Ex. 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

Is Jesus not the First fruit of the "Way of the Lord? "Thou art a priest for ever, after the order of Melchisedec."

Anyway, a perspective I wanted to share with you all.

Psalms 110 ESV

the rebellious?
sickness, disease?
death?
all of the above?

Have you read the NT quotes of this passage, and the full passage?

The point I am getting at is whether He leaves the heavenly abode (at the right hand of the Father) to dwell on earth before or after the millennium.
If His "enemies" include death then it cannot be until after the millennium when death is cast into the lake of fire.

In other words, it is a question that challenges the pre=millennial view.

Forget trying to fit things to a millenium and just read it. The passage is about the award to Christ for his action of sacrificing for its sins. The way this comes across in Acts 2--4 is that he deserves full honor by rulers and common people now, but those who refuse will be crushed on the last day. Then it doesn't matter if you figure out the millenium. The whole universe seems to be changed on the last day. https://www.amazon.com/ENTHRONED-KI...sanford+enthroned+king,stripbooks,3593&sr=1-1

So much is missed by trying to figure out the Mill. What should matter to us is 'what do we say to the world right now?'

Greetings again Sissy,
My perspective is based upon many prophesies such as Psalm 8, Psalm 72, Isaiah 2:1-4, Daniel 2:35-44, Zechariah 14, Acts 1:11, 3:19-21.
If the rebellious and sickness and disease and death, etc. are all lumped into what constitutes His "enemies", then that would appear to mean that He does not leave the heavenly abode (sitting at the right hand of the Father) until all those "enemies" are made His footstool.
But Psalm 110 speaks of him sitting at the right hand of God "until", and the enemies that he will be dealing with are Kings. God and Jesus have control of kings and rulers today, but Jesus will overcome the kingdoms of men by smashing the image on the feet when he returns Daniel 2:35,44. 1 Corinthians 15:21-23 speaks of the return of Jesus to raise the dead, and then speaks of a period of time in which he rules and overcomes all enemies, and death is only the very last of these. I do not know your worldview, or view of the religious sequence of events of how the present world of wickedness will be transformed into the picture presented in
Habakkuk 2:14 (KJV): For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.

Also 1 Corinthians 15 is quoting, alluding to, and expounding Psalm 8 which speaks of the New Creation, and this is not speaking about Jesus staying in heaven but completing the role of the First Adam who failed, having dominion over the earth, concepts also taken up in Isaiah 11.

Kind regards
Trevor

So now the question would be what is meant by "made His footstool".
Would that just mean being subject to Him, or does it go further and mean they can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him?

This line of questioning delves into the pre-millennial notion that He will come again to dwell on earth during the millennium, which would be BEFORE those enemies can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him.
But if "made His footstool" does mean the enemies are forever bound and can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him, then it would seem to indicate that He does not return to dwell on earth until after the millennium when the rebellious, sickness, disease, death, etc. are forever bound in the lake of fire and can no longer be a hinderance to oppose Him.

Don't assume the Mill the way you are. It has scant support, really. Other than lots of repetition, I don't know why people shape so much around it. It simply doesn't show in many scenarios: Mt 24 etc, 2 Peter 3, Heb 9, Thess.

Back