• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Embracing Doctrinal Diversity - Unity in diversity

SteVen

In the same way we have learned to understand and respect cultural diversity,
we should learn to understand and respect doctrinal diversity.

Can Catholics and Protestants respect one another despite our doctrinal differences? (yes)
What about Baptists and Pentecostals? (yes) You name it. How far apart can we get and still be close together?

Build bridges, not walls.

\

In the same way we have learned to understand and respect cultural diversity,
we should learn to understand and respect doctrinal diversity.

Can Catholics and Protestants respect one another despite our doctrinal differences? (yes)
What about Baptists and Pentecostals? (yes) You name it. How far apart can we get and still be close together?

Build bridges, not walls.

\

Beyond Catholics and Protestants-- is there common ground for Muslims and Jews to stand upon?

That's the big three, but there are others.

I'd say this>>

I do believe that it is through God's son that we are saved-- we call this one 'the savior' after all. But I don't believe that the method or manner is entirely obvious to us, even though Christians believe that it is. Just ask them. You'll hear things in testimony like you've mentioned- 'said the prayer when I was 6' -yada yada yada....

Modern Christians tend to put a lot of emphasis on spoken words and proclamations, while we know very little about the heart or true nature of an individual. There were folks that 'got saved' on a weekly basis in churches and church camps as I grew up. It often just 'didn't stick.' I don't believe that "salvation" is limited to Christians any more than the idea that it is a public display or declaration through baptism, for example- is at all indicative of the quality of one's soul. It's the inside of the cup that needs cleansing. The rest is window-dressing.

Beyond Catholics and Protestants-- is there common ground for Muslims and Jews to stand upon?

That's the big three, but there are others.
Actually the Quran acknowledges "people of the book" in reference to the Bible.
And they recognize Isa (Jesus) as a prophet.

/

/

Good on them. But is it really the same Jesus?

The Jesus of the Quran is similar but very different from the Jesus of the New Testament.

SteVen said:
Good on them. But is it really the same Jesus?

The Jesus of the Quran is similar but very different from the Jesus of the New Testament.
I agree. But the original question was about common ground.

If you ask a Muslim about Jesus in the Quran (Isa) you can discuss it.
They will probably already have an opinion about him though.

]

Back