• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Does the holy spirit leave me if I sin?

Does the Holy Spirit leave me if I sin?

What are your thoughts on this question.
Tough question, as in maybe for the moment or time you are sinning He is not present. When we talk about the "indwelling" of the holy spirit we have Him in us forever, Christ in you. The reality is, how can we know? Because if I'm in the process of robbing a bank, I'm not going to feel like the holy spirit is in me, or a murder for instance. Here's what is an excerpt said in the Blue Letter Bible Study section:

The Holy Spirit Dwells Forever with the Believer​

What does this mean to the individual? The indwelling ministry of the Holy Spirit allows Jesus Christ to dwell in our hearts forever. God can now work in a believer’s life, helping that person conform to the character of Christ. Paul wrote about this in his letter to the Romans. He explained it in this manner.

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers (Romans 8:29 ESV).
The work of the Holy Spirit includes indwelling all believers as long as they are alive.

This depends on what you mean by sin. If you start practicing sin, that is engaging in without remorse and condoning it as an OK activity, then the Holy Spirit will strive with you. If you continue in your rebellion, the Holy Spirit will eventually withdraw and you will have committed the unpardonable sin. There will then be only but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. (Heb 10:27)

But if you mean that which all of us struggle against daily and you are on God's side in the war within your member's, though the devil wins some battles, he has already lost the war and Our Good God Almighty will never forsake you or leave you.

...I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. I will not, I will not, I will not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let you down relax My hold on you! Assuredly not! Heb 13:5

No, He disciplines you with a harsh discipline until you are perfectly trained in righteousness, Heb 12:5-11.

Good question Matthew.... one thought is that in bearing sin upon the cross, that is taking on sin, a Holy God/Holy Spirit that has no place for sin and cannot mix with it, is what Jesus referred to in those final words- "My God, My God... why have you forsaken me." -and when he said- "It is finished", that Holy Spirit that was within him departed and he gave up the ghost... that is- he then died.

Hear GOd's WORD and believe:

Rom 8:38-39..(KJV)..."For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature [created thing], Shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I once as a child, walk down the isle of an alter call....Years later after sinning a lifetime, I finally found the Lord, My Jesus and have sinned less and less. From experience I come to this conclusions:

One's Heart may be conditioned to seek the Lord or otherwise called by GOD but their salvation may take years to come about...Thus, those in continual sin are likely Christian in name only!

Remember we are saved in the three tenses....(Past, Present and Future)

I was saved from the "penalty" of sin (Salvation, Justification)..(Eph 2:8-9)

I am being saved from the "power" of sin....Sanctification through the Holy Spirit (Rom 6)

I will be saved from the "presence" of Sin ....Glorification into a new sin free body, Redemption...(Rom 8:23)

Once you are saved, you do not want for any reason to go back to any other lifestyle. You are Saved forever. OSAS!

Blade

Last edited by a moderator:
No, He disciplines you with a harsh discipline until you are perfectly trained in righteousness, Heb 12:5-11.
I can see where you are coming from but that would mean God forces people to love and accept Him. But God will not force the will of any human to choose him.

Our souls can die from what the bible teaches The soul that sinneth, it shall die. Ez 18:20 God is not willing that any should perish but sadly there are many who will that they should perish.

The question is, when is the choice made? I understand the teachings of PCE on that subject but I can't personally subscribe to them because I can't find them in the bible. However, I will not stand here and say you are wrong, but just say that I don't know.

Jesus, says that there are those that will go into eternal fire. Paul says They will be punished with everlasting destruction. At this juncture, I would caution that it is not our place to assign these terrible consequences to anyone or even imagine that someone we are dealing with is headed for such. It is sufficient to know that there are people who will choose to have nothing to do with God's Ark of safety.

Rom 8:38-39..(KJV)..."For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature [created thing], Shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I once as a child, walk down the isle of an alter call....Years later after sinning a lifetime, I finally found the Lord, My Jesus and have sinned less and less. From experience I come to this conclusions:

One's Heart may be conditioned to seek the Lord or otherwise called by GOD but their salvation may take years to come about...Thus, those in continual sin are likely Christian in name only!

I am being saved from the "power" of sin....Sanctification through the Holy Spirit (Rom 6)

I will be saved from the "presence" of Sin ....Glorification into a new sin free body, Redemption...(Rom 8:23)

Once you are saved, you do not want for any reason to go back to any other lifestyle. You are Saved forever. OSAS!

Blade
Thank you for posting this. It really brightened my day and made me even more in awe of our savior.

Blade

Opinions vary- and this is one. Keeping it real- folks struggle. They struggle with this world, they sin, they fall. Even those who 'have walked down the aisle for altar calls' or 'dedicated their life to Jesus' or who 'got saved as a little kid.' I recognize that this is your belief, and you are welcome to it, but you should also recognize that it is your belief, even if you've made it your creed, your doctrine, your dogma and your declaration- it remains your belief about those things.

Certainly Judas gave his life to the Lord. Certainly he was a Christian not in name only, but in the truest sense of meaning, yet it would be difficult to support the idea that he didn't 'want for any reason to go back to any other lifestyle, or the idea that he was saved forever.' So leave a little room in your heart for things beyond such absolute declarations.

I want to share a very personal story here. I hired a girl to work for my company and she came to us by way of recommendations that even included among them one from the wife of one of our church pastors. The girl we hired was wonderful and this pastor's wife also- wonderful. Vibrant. Beautiful. Amazing mom, inspiring Christian woman of faith. Five awesome kids in their young married life...

Yesterday, amidst a four-month battle with depression and anxiety, she took her own life. This is very real and still very raw to me and heavy on my heart, and an example of the painful struggle and reality that some Christians suffer. We are all broken in various ways, broken people in a broken world. This is why that White Horse Rider rides.

Opinions vary- and this is one. Keeping it real- folks struggle. They struggle with this world, they sin, they fall. Even those who 'have walked down the aisle for altar calls' or 'dedicated their life to Jesus' or who 'got saved as a little kid.' I recognize that this is your belief, and you are welcome to it, but you should also recognize that it is your belief, even if you've made it your creed, your doctrine, your dogma and your declaration- it remains your belief about those things.

Certainly Judas gave his life to the Lord. Certainly he was a Christian not in name only, but in the truest sense of meaning, yet it would be difficult to support the idea that he didn't 'want for any reason to go back to any other lifestyle, or the idea that he was saved forever.' So leave a little room in your heart for things beyond such absolute declarations.
As you so elegantly have said: Yes, it is my belief, my opinion and as I study the WORD of GOD through a Book that was authored by God himself and written by 40 penmen thousands of years ago;I find myself leaning more and more to the literal translation of His WORD.

Have nice day...

Blade

Certainly, there is little doubt that from the perspective of an Almighty God who is omniscient OSAS has to be true. In fact, it has to go deeper than that. If God is omniscient then those who are saved were saved from the foundation of the earth. In other words, such a God would know the end from the beginning.

On the other hand, from a human perspective, our decision is shrouded in the mist of time. If we do leave the Lord, was it that we never really made the decision in the first place?

This moves the controversy from the minutia of the amount of control a man exercises over His own salvation to the nature of God Himself, which would be a good thread to start if one is so inclined.

Back