• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Do you believe it is good to worship Idols?

It becomes a problem for me personally if I start to place all of those things above seeking after God, and it hinders my own personal relationship with the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Not disagreeing that you are correct there, just questioning the use of the word idol, as I think it is intended to mean something more serious.

That's a good point. I would call these cell phones idols to some people.
Now that people are responding it makes me desire to communicate and these phones or computers or anything with images can become an idol.

Thank you for commenting and sharing, as well as your previous post.

@The_drake_ in context with my post Paul is mentioning that those who pretty much have no relationship with God are the ones who ended up desiring to worship images instead of the living God.

Therefore it’s a universal fact, for us to tend to look and see things that could become idols but for believers in God they are going to make God their first priority thank you for pointing that out.

You both have a good night.

What about the 2nd Commandment?
That depends if you believe it is necessary, I believe it is. From my understanding it is always God first though, never anything else first. What are your thoughts on the second commandment ?

Hello,

Thank you for reading and responding.

Anything technically can be an idol. It depends on what you place your own trust and faith in. I have struggles with my own idols sometimes. Like to much video gaming or to much tv watching or to much on my phone, to much music.

Not sure if you can relate but these are my own troubles and sometimes I need to remind and check myself if I’m letting others things become first in my own life over the true and living God himself.
Some of the things you suggest are sins, not idols. Idols are like statues, images, even material objects that are worshiped.

That depends if you believe it is necessary, I believe it is. From my understanding it is always God first though, never anything else first. What are your thoughts on the second commandment ?
We need to be careful not to make idols of the worldly things of today.

I’m a hard no on it being good to worship idols.

That places a premium on knowing who the one true God is.

Who does the reader trust to tell them who the one true God is?

Someone whose deity is the one true God, surely.

For a Christian, who better to trust than Jesus of Nazareth to tell us? His God, the God of Abraham, is the one true God. Everything else is idols.

I never imagined that I would have to say this but I find, to my utter amazement, that I do:

Yahweh is not an idol. He is the one and only true God.

Worshipping Yahweh is not an idolatrous act.

Those who disagree with my declaration are, of course, free to say so. In fact, I invite and encourage them to do so. Or repent.

Back