• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Did Matthew Accurately Quote Jesus saying "Ekklesia?"

I'm wondering how fluent Jesus was in Greek. His exchanges with Pilate -- and all for gospels relate such exchange -- may well have been in Greek. I doubt Pilate was fluent in Aramaic. Far easier for a Latin speaker to master Greek than any semitic language.
This relates somewhat to the thread I started:

So now we have Jesus potentially speaking Greek. In a culture where illiteracy to the point of being unable to write your own name was the order of the day, scholars suggest Jesus was fluent in Aramaic and passable in Hebrew and Greek. Where and how did this tekton from the miniscule village of Nazareth acquire all these skills, and why are the Gospels and apocryphal writings silent on him being anything other than a tekton from Nazareth?

This relates somewhat to the thread I started:

So now we have Jesus potentially speaking Greek. In a culture where illiteracy to the point of being unable to write your own name was the order of the day, scholars suggest Jesus was fluent in Aramaic and passable in Hebrew and Greek. Where and how did this tekton from the miniscule village of Nazareth acquire all these skills, and why are the Gospels and apocryphal writings silent on him being anything other than a tekton from Nazareth?
Nazareth was close enough to the bilingual cities of the Decapolis that he could have picked up Greek in his travels there. John 7:35 has the Jews wondering whether Jesus is heading off to teach the Greeks! Maybe that was rhetorical, or hyperbole. Maybe not.

Nazareth was close enough to the bilingual cities of the Decapolis that he could have picked up Greek in his travels there. John 7:35 has the Jews wondering whether Jesus is heading off to teach the Greeks! Maybe that was rhetorical, or hyperbole. Maybe not.
That's an interesting point.
The Gentiles were called Greeks.
Perhaps because of the language they spoke?

;

Back