• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Defining the godhead - an open discussion on Unitarianism, Binitarianism and Trinitarianism

SteVen

From my perspective, unitarianism, binitarianism and trinitarianism are doctrines that attempt to define a view of God.
These terms DO NOT represent THREE different gods as some posit. IMHO

Standard definitions:

unitarianism
  1. The doctrines of Unitarians.
  2. The belief in a single God, not divided into any aspects, particularly when presented as a contrast to Christian trinitarianism.
  3. Christian doctrine that stresses individual freedom of belief and rejects the Trinity.
binitarianism
  1. The belief, particularly among some Christians, that God is two personae (persons), two individuals,
    or two aspects in one Godhead (or God), these being God the Father and God the Son (Jesus Christ).
trinitarianism
  1. The doctrine of the Trinity; the doctrine that there are three distinct persons in the Godhead.
  2. The monotheistic Christian doctrine that defines God as three divine persons or hypostases
    (Greek — plural: ὑποστάσεις hypostáseis, singular: ὑπόστασις hypóstasis):
    the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.
  3. Christian doctrine stressing belief in the Trinity.
Discussion questions:
1) Three different doctrines, or three different gods?
2) Do these doctrines need to divide the church?
3) Should you reject others that hold a different view than your own?

] cc: @Mr E -- Please remove topic if not allowed, thanks.

Jesus himself is a Jewish monotheist. There is no trinitarian or binitarian thiught in who he believes and said his God and the God of his disciples is.

His God and the God if his disciples is the Father.

Jesus himself is - by words, by faith, and by definition a unitarian.

There is only one true God -> the Father. His proper name is Yahweh.

There is, however, an alternative in scripture -> idolatry.

The God of Jesus or idolatry. Those are the options.

A Jesus who is a trinitarian or binitarian is not the historical Jesus of Nazareth.

Discussion questions:
1) Three different doctrines, or three different gods?
2) Do these doctrines need to divide the church?
3) Should you reject others that hold a different view than your own?
1. Both, 3 doctrines and 6 gods. Worse, different Christs. My Christ sacrificed all. The trinitarian Christ sacrificed only half of his 2 natures.

I deem this less than the full payment of sin.

2. Need to? Fact is, it does divide the church.

3. No rejection of people. Reject false teaching, false doctrine. We are commanded to love even our enemies.

And Christ followers with false teaching are not our enemies.

SteVen said:
What Jesus believed about the godhead is highly debatable.
Wrong. There is no godhead in Scripture. Jesus quoted the Sh’ma as the most important commandment, which is a unitarian statement of faith as he was required to believe, being born a Jew under the law.
You seem to be promoting the doctrine of a single member of the godhead.
How can you say there is no godhead in Scripture?

Jesus also taught us to pray ONLY to the Father and said his Father is THE ONLY TRUE GOD.
In what name were you baptized?

Only a trinitarian could claim what Jesus believed about God is highly debatable in light of these Scriptural facts.
Who was present at Jesus' baptism?

Jesus referred to the Holy Spirit as a person. (he)

John 14:26 NIV
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name,
will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 15:26 NIV
“When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—
the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Fatherhe will testify about me.

]

Why do the doctrine of trinitarianism, binitarianisn and even some forms of unitarianism exist when they contradict Jesus’ doctrine of Jewish monotheism?

Trinitarianism, binitarianism, unitarianism, Gnosticism (which the OP doesn’t specifically mention by name) and Jewish monotheism all put forward the claim if being monotheistic. So, too, did Akhenaton in ancient Egypt with his Sun god, Ra.

Monotheism alone isn’t enough. In order to be biblical monotheism it has to be the Jewish monotheism of Jesus Messiah.

SteVen said:
In what name were you baptized?
Change in subject.
Not really.
Trinitarianism defines Jesus as deity, part of the godhead.

Do you claim there is no power in Jesus' name?

What do you make of this?

Acts 2:38 NIV
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ
for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

]

Back