• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Cannibalism?

M

MatthewG

Was there ever a time where this happened to the Nation of Israel as a curse for not obeying the LORD?

““The Lord will bring a distant nation against you from the end of the earth, and it will swoop down on you like a vulture. It is a nation whose language you do not understand, a fierce and heartless nation that shows no respect for the old and no pity for the young. Its armies will devour your livestock and crops, and you will be destroyed. They will leave you no grain, new wine, olive oil, calves, or lambs, and you will starve to death. They will attack your cities until all the fortified walls in your land—the walls you trusted to protect you—are knocked down. They will attack all the towns in the land the Lord your God has given you. “The siege and terrible distress of the enemy’s attack will be so severe that you will eat the flesh of your own sons and daughters, whom the Lord your God has given you. The most tenderhearted man among you will have no compassion for his own brother, his beloved wife, and his surviving children. He will refuse to share with them the flesh he is devouring—the flesh of one of his own children—because he has nothing else to eat during the siege and terrible distress that your enemy will inflict on all your towns.”
‭‭Deuteronomy‬ ‭28:49-55‬ ‭NLT‬‬

The Jewish historian, Josephus, records that it did happen during the Roman destruction of Jerusalem.
In his writing, War of the Jews, book 6, chapter 3, paragraph 4, he writes:

4. There was a certain woman that dwelt beyond Jordan, her name was Mary; her father was Eleazar, of the village Bethezob, which signifies the house of Hyssop. She was eminent for her family and her wealth, and had fled away to Jerusalem with the rest of the multitude, and was with them besieged therein at this time. The other effects of this woman had been already seized upon, such I mean as she had brought with her out of Perea, and removed to the city. What she had treasured up besides, as also what food she had contrived to save, had been also carried off by the rapacious guards, who came every day running into her house for that purpose. This put the poor woman into a very great passion, and by the frequent reproaches and imprecations she east at these rapacious villains, she had provoked them to anger against her; but none of them, either out of the indignation she had raised against herself, or out of commiseration of her case, would take away her life; and if she found any food, she perceived her labors were for others, and not for herself; and it was now become impossible for her any way to find any more food, while the famine pierced through her very bowels and marrow, when also her passion was fired to a degree beyond the famine itself; nor did she consult with any thing but with her passion and the necessity she was in. She then attempted a most unnatural thing; and snatching up her son, who was a child sucking at her breast, she said, "O thou miserable infant! for whom shall I preserve thee in this war, this famine, and this sedition? As to the war with the Romans, if they preserve our lives, we must be slaves. This famine also will destroy us, even before that slavery comes upon us. Yet are these seditious rogues more terrible than both the other. Come on; be thou my food, and be thou a fury to these seditious varlets, and a by-word to the world, which is all that is now wanting to complete the calamities of us Jews." As soon as she had said this, she slew her son, and then roasted him, and eat the one half of him, and kept the other half by her concealed. Upon this the seditious came in presently, and smelling the horrid scent of this food, they threatened her that they would cut her throat immediately if she did not show them what food she had gotten ready. She replied that she had saved a very fine portion of it for them, and withal uncovered what was left of her son. Hereupon they were seized with a horror and amazement of mind, and stood astonished at the sight, when she said to them, "This is mine own son, and what hath been done was mine own doing! Come, eat of this food; for I have eaten of it myself! Do not you pretend to be either more tender than a woman, or more compassionate than a mother; but if you be so scrupulous, and do abominate this my sacrifice, as I have eaten the one half, let the rest be reserved for me also." After which those men went out trembling, being never so much aftrighted at any thing as they were at this, and with some difficulty they left the rest of that meat to the mother. Upon which the whole city was full of this horrid action immediately; and while every body laid this miserable case before their own eyes, they trembled, as if this unheard of action had been done by themselves. So those that were thus distressed by the famine were very desirous to die, and those already dead were esteemed happy, because they had not lived long enough either to hear or to see such miseries.

And no more barbaric than abortion.

On the other forum I dipped into a discussion where a member insisted that 'everything is improving' in this day and age-- since we no longer roast babies to honor Molech.... we don't? Because it's an incinerator rather than a brass bowl-- it's no different to me. And neither is it an improvement to take a morning after pill to abort the process. More than 60% of abortions are now done this way-- so clean and nice.

More abortions are taking place today than ever before in the history of mankind.

When I first saw the title of the thread I was thinking the topic was going to be the eucharist.

As ghastly as starving people reduced to the point of eating their children in order to survive and parents killing their unborn children in the womb (for various reasons) is, eating the actual body and drinking the actual blood of Jesus Christ (i.e. Transubstantiation) is every bit as appalling to me.

I worked for a few years with a man who served in a special capacity at his church. He was an Episcopalian. We were discussing a potential solution to a complex civil engineering problem one day and, after several hours spent considering and rejecting various ideas, we took a break to clear our minds. That’s when he told me about his special role at church.

After communion was served to everyone, something had to be done with the wine that was left over. Since the wine was considered to be the actual blood of Jesus Christ, it couldn’t be poured down the drain like it were some common liquid to be disposed. It was his role to drink whatever was left over of the wine / blood that wasn’t consumed by the congregation. This was done alone, he said, privately, in a back room of the sanctuary, out of the sight of others.

He added that he really enjoyed the responsibility. Why? Because sometimes there was enough of the wine / blood left over for him to drink that it caused him to become mildly intoxicated. He got a buzz off of it.

When he finished telling me the story there was a big grin on his face. I don’t remember now what I said but I know that I was so taken aback by it that I didn’t ask him what happened to the leftover bread / body.

To my sensibilities, what he described came across as sacrilegious.

Was he telling me the truth?

I don’t know. Maybe he was just pulling my leg. What I do know is that that is what he told me and it didn’t sit at all well with me.

What Is Transubstantiation?

The Catholic Church teaches that during the Eucharist, the body of Jesus Christ himself is truly eaten and his blood truly drunk. The bread becomes his actual body, and the wine his actual blood. The process of this change is called transubstantiation:

By the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly called transubstantiation. (CCC, 1376)

To explain this phenomenon, Catholic theology presses Aristotelian philosophy into service. A distinction is made between substance and accidents. The substance of a thing is what that thing actually is, while accidents refer to incidental features that may have a certain appearance but can be withdrawn without altering the substance.

During the Eucharist, then, the substance of the bread and wine are changed into the body and blood of Christ, while the accidents remain the same. The bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Christ, it is claimed, but maintain the appearance, texture, smell, and taste of bread and wine. The Catholic Church does not claim that this is a magical transformation, but that it is instead a sacramental mystery that is administered by those who have received the sacrament of order.”

Back