• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Birth Pangs of the Protestant Reformation

A

Arial

Let me make clear that this is not RCC bashing. It is simply a brief history of what led up to the reformation. We must always remember when we see abuses within the church of God, and they will always be there, that we do not condemn all for the failures and frailties of some. There is at the root of our fallen nature two ugly enemies. Greed and the lust for power. It is the very thing that got Satan thrown out of heaven, the very thing he tempted Eve with in a subtle and beautifully dressed way. When men are put in a position of power, and add to it, easy access to the gaining of riches at the expense of those they rule over, it is a recipe for the entrance of that old serpent to rear his head. And his primary target always has been and always will be the destruction of God's people, an attempt to stop the unstoppable purpose and plan of God. This penchant of man to buckle to these temptations is the reason the founding fathers of the the US insisted on separating the functions of church and state. They had seen what can happen when the two become one. I find the history of the pre-reformation and reformation a vivid picture of the hand of God upon His church, to preserve and protect it.

In the tweilth century canon law governed the people. This canon law was a set of complicated rules that laid out religious rights, duties and laws. The Roman church had control over every aspect of the individuals life. It was taught that the church and the sacraments were the only access to heaven. The pope had authority over all. The Bible was kept out of the hands of the people, never translated into the language of the people, and for anyone to do this, they faced severe punishment, even death. One of the religious rules forbade people to preach the gospel unless they received approval from the Roman church. Enter the Waldensians (1175); the Lollards (1375); and the Hussites (1400).

Peter Waldo went to Rome to get permission to preach the gospel and was denied. That did not stop him, but rather fueled his mission. He persuaded a sympathetic priest to translate large sections of the NT into the regional language, and he memorized them, and began preaching the message of Christ throughout Lyon, France. He, and his band of followers, devoted themselves to God's word, and therein found their authority to preach and discovered how the Bible contradicted the papacy in many aspects, including their authority. Eventually he was excommunicated, and kicked out of Lyons, inadvertently spreading the gospel. The Inquisition made public preaching impossible. They went underground, meeting at night from house to house, in barns and remote buildings, secretly and in small groups. They revived the apostolic church of the NT. They memorized the Bible and spread the word. One "unlearned rustic" was said to have memorized the entire book of Job word for word. They taught one another. Everyone was allowed to participate. They broke bread together, prayed together, old and young, men and women.

In 1211 more than eighty were burned as heretics at Strasbourg. Centuries of severe persecution followed. They proclaimed the bIble as the sole rule of life and faith. They rejected papal authority, indulgences, purgatory and transubstantiation. J.A Wylie wrote a book on the Waldensians. In it he writes, "The church of the Reformation was in the loins of the Waldensian Church ages before the birth of Luther"

So as to not have too long a post, I will cover the Lollards and Hussites in separate posts. I do hope that at least some will find this interesting and vital information that stirs in us anew, our great heritage as God's people, and a newfound appreciation of all the sacrifice and singleness of purpose of those who have gone before us and paved our way, beneath the hand of our merciful God.

The Lollards

The origin of the term is uncertain, It is thought by some to have come from the Dutch word meaning mumbler. In any case by the mid-1400's it had become synonymous with heretic.

The origins of Lollardy can be traced to the writings of John Wycliffe. They were never an organized hierarchy but were simply people tied together by a common set of beliefs. These varied from one person to another but common among them were the following:
The pope had no part to play in politics
The church was too worldly
Monasticism had drifted from its spiritual foundation
The Bible should be available to everyone in their own language
True power is God's, and attempts to use it for individual gain is wrong

Wycliffe taught that the church had left its spiritual foundations. He translated the Bible into English. One of the Lollard's strongest beliefs was in the priesthood of all believers and this stirred them to mutual accountability as was the case in the early house churches. They usually gathered in extended family groups. They gathered and preached and taught, relying on house-to- house visitation, pub evangelism, conversing over meals, in fairs and markets, invitations to reading circles, passing out tracts. The leaders moved from place to place supervising existing groups, starting new ones reminiscent of the apostles. They did all this with a fire and fervor for Christ and Him crucified, to let the people weighed down under the weight of a church that ruled and governed their lives, by keeping truth from them, know and hear the true gospel. They did this knowing, if caught, they could be burned at the stake.

William Sawtrey was the first Lollard to face this sacrifice. He was called to St Paul's Cathedral in London to give account of his teachings. He stood firm that it was more important ot adore Christ crucified than the cross itself. That it was more important to preach to the lost than to recite religious prayers. That money spent of pilgrimages to save one's soul, would be better spent helping the poor. What finally condemned him was his beliefs about the mass. He said that, yes, the consecrated Eucharist was indeed the bread of life, but was just bread and not the body of Christ. He was then turned over to secular authorities ( how reminiscent can it get?!) to die. He was burned to death at Smithfield in front of a crowd of spectators.

There is so much we take for granted today, with a Bible in nearly every home, and many languages. With the religious freedoms that in most countries exist. The keeping the state out of religious doings and the church out of the states doings, so they are not a conjoined power. So distant are these things from us that we would do well to heed histories lessons and be careful to see any warning signs that this religious freedom is being eroded.

@Arial Thank you for this thread, I know I will be following this one. Can I post a video that talks about these things and the history of the King James Bible and the Catholic church's persecution of the groups you are discussing? It's a long video but well worth the time to at least listen, if one can't watch & listen.

I am Catholic but I became Protestant, leaning towards Reformed, but not exactly Calvinism. I was baptized Catholic and went to Catholic school until 4th grade. The history and aims of the Vatican is what I detest, the deliberate hiding of God's word and the execution and torture of those who wanted everyone to have the Bible in their own language.

I hope to get into the Cosmology of the day in those times as well, because Martin Luther and John Calvin rejected Copernicus' cosmology. I will simply say for now, the Reformers believed in a Geocentric earth and many believed in a flat, motionless earth as the Bible describes. You see, the Vatican finally knew that they could not stop the printing presses so the devised the globe as another means of controlling the masses.

They made everyone feel small and insignificant and in desperate need of the "church" as they inserted Jesuits into Academia, focusing specifically on cosmology, astronomy and the moon; the cosmos. In EVERY country the Jesuits/Vatican held top positions in these fields of study, basically inventing the cosmology we all believe today, including the big bang. But I digress, sorry for derailing a little but these are very serious issues with life changing implications.

1629480142030.png

Can I post a video that talks about these things and the history of the King James Bible and the Catholic church's persecution of the groups you are discussing? It's a long video but well worth the time to at least listen, if one can't watch & listen.
Absolutely post the video. And thanks. I am being brief in my postings, for the sake of space (the forum) and time (mine and whoever may be reading.) But the in depth of this part of church history is both glorious and barbaric and bloody. But it is so important IMO to know, even from the standpoint of seeing God raise up men to root out the wolves and turn us back to the basics, Christ Crucified. We may be in need of another such "awakening", a strengthening of our walls and gates, our gaze turned once again upward instead of inward, the embers in our hearts stirred to flame by a love for Christ and the work that He did. After I finish with this thread, I intend to do one of the preaching style of the reformers. It was that preaching that changed everything. But we are people. We slumber and sleep and scarcely notice when the world creeps in to our churches and then our thinking. There are now whole generations of true Christians that have never heard the Bible actually expounded upon by competent, God appointed men. I pray that changes, that it will no longer seem irrelevant to our church services, or from fear of boredom within the congregation. May the glory and majesty of God be restored within our hearts and minds.

The Hussites

John Hus wa born in Husinec, Bohemia, in 1369. He trained for the priesthood, in his words,"I had thought to become a priest quickly in order to secure a good livelihood and dress and to be held in esteem by men." He was ordained and became the preacher of the well known and influential church, Prague's Bethlehem Chapel. Hus underwent a change when he discovered the Bible, when he became Rector of the University of Prague. Czech students had first studied at Oxford and carried Wycliffe's teachings back to Prague. Hus accepted what was contained in these writings and began to preach them. He attracted a huge audience, including some of the rulers.

Hus tried to reform the church, attacking the moral failings within the church hierarchy. He was tolerated for a time, but he increasingly came to trust only the Bible. He stated, "desiring to hold, believe, and assert whatever is contained in them as long as I have breath in me." In 1405 Pope Innocent VII demanded that the archbishop counter the heretical teachings of Hus and the archbishop complied.

John Hus did not establish a system of small groups as Waldo and the Lollards did, his followers grew to become the Unitas Fratrum (Unity of the Brethren) in 1457. This church grew mainly through house-to-house ministry in Bohemia and Moravia, gaining a membership of 200,000. They were forced to meet in underground house churches due to fierce persecution. They rejected everything that had no basis in the Bible i.e. veneration of the saints, images, fasts, superfluous holidays, intercession for the dead,indulgences.

John Hus met his sentence on July 6, 1415. Like others before him he stood his ground for Christ til the flames silenced his voice. The night before, in a letter he prayed that if his death would contribute anything to God's glory, then he desired to face it without fear. He was chained to the stake, hands bound behind his back, wood and hay, sprinkled with rosin, piled up to his chin. He was given one last chance to recant. Instead he said, "I shall die with joy today in the faith of the gospel which I have preached." As the flames were lit he sang out twice, Christ thou Son of the living God, have mercy on me." He died praying and singing.

And the pains of labor increase as the birth of the Protestant Reformation draws near.

A Lamp In The Dark - The Untold History Of The Bible ~ Full Documentary

A Lamp in the Dark is an exciting new documentary that unfolds the fascinating "untold" history of the Bible, revealing critical information often overlooked in modern histories. Enter into a world of saints and martyrs battling against spies, assassins and wolves in sheep's clothing.

Throughout the Middle Ages, the Papal Inquisition forbade biblical translation, threatening imprisonment and death to those who disobeyed. Learn the stories of valiant warriors of the faith, such as John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, the ancient Waldenses, Albigenses and others who hazarded their lives for the sake of sharing the Gospel light with a world drowning in darkness.

Once the common people were able to read the Bible, the world was turned upside down through the Protestant Reformation. The Reformers subdued whole kingdoms by preaching the grace of God, and exposing the unbiblical doctrines of Rome. In response, the Vatican would launch a Counter Reformation to destroy the work of the Reformers, including the bibles they produced.

A Lamp In The Dark - The Untold History Of The Bible ~ Full Documentary​

3 hours

A Lamp in the Dark is an exciting new documentary that unfolds the fascinating "untold" history of the Bible, revealing critical information often overlooked in modern histories. Enter into a world of saints and martyrs battling against spies, assassins and wolves in sheep's clothing.

Throughout the Middle Ages, the Papal Inquisition forbade biblical translation, threatening imprisonment and death to those who disobeyed. Learn the stories of valiant warriors of the faith, such as John Wycliffe, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, the ancient Waldenses, Albigenses and others who hazarded their lives for the sake of sharing the Gospel light with a world drowning in darkness.

Once the common people were able to read the Bible, the world was turned upside down through the Protestant Reformation. The Reformers subdued whole kingdoms by preaching the grace of God, and exposing the unbiblical doctrines of Rome. In response, the Vatican would launch a Counter Reformation to destroy the work of the Reformers, including the bibles they produced.

3 hours
Thanks. I don't have time to watch it now. I am going to watch it through youtube on my tv, where I can pause. take a break,come back to it a different time, and treat it like a movie. Sounds interesting.

Latin used to be the common langauge at the time they translated the hebrew and greek into Latin. Then when it lost its influence the Catholic church refused to let it be translated into other languages. Probably because the Catholic church at the time did not want people to know scripture, The Catholic doctrine did not always go along with scripture.

Latin used to be the common langauge at the time they translated the hebrew and greek into Latin. Then when it lost its influence the Catholic church refused to let it be translated into other languages. Probably because the Catholic church at the time did not want people to know scripture, The Catholic doctrine did not always go along with scripture.
During the time of Jesus and even 350 earlier, Greek was the main language spoken...Hebrew, likely the first world language, had lost its appeal and was only spoken of in ceremonial rites and such. In the first century Hebrew, Greek and Latin were the languages that were spoken...Not until the 2nd century did Rome outlaw Greek and use Latin exclusively. Today, the Latin language that was used in creating the Latin Vulgate Bible which is used in the ROC has also lost its appeal except for ceremonial rites of the church. English is the main language what just about everybody speaks....

Rem, Babylon and what GOD said: "And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." (Gen 11:6)

Those days are a pattern for things to come.........

3 hours
I am about half way through the video and I highly recommend it for all Christians. It surely does throw light on Jesus' words to the disciples about being persecuted. It is true that Christianity has always met with persecution of its followers, but I fully believe that when Jesus spoke those words of prophecy He was also speaking prophetically and knowingly of this dark time period----the dark ages. And it gives us a clearer picture of the battle that wages as satan at every turn, tries to destroy first Christ, starting even before His first coming, tempted Him in the wilderness, and sent Him to the cross----all to no avail, and then His church. It is nothing less than stunning to see God turn it all around, for that was God at work, through the means of men who He raised up. All the persecution did was light a fire in the people, and open their ears to hear and love the word of God. The video should also give us a new understanding of persecution, so that we have a proper perspective on what we call persecution. I would hope also that it would give us a restored love and appreciation of His word and remember how precious it is and the blood that was shed all those centuries ago, that we might have it always before us.

I am about half way through the video and I highly recommend it for all Christians. It surely does throw light on Jesus' words to the disciples about being persecuted. It is true that Christianity has always met with persecution of its followers, but I fully believe that when Jesus spoke those words of prophecy He was also speaking prophetically and knowingly of this dark time period----the dark ages. And it gives us a clearer picture of the battle that wages as satan at every turn, tries to destroy first Christ, starting even before His first coming, tempted Him in the wilderness, and sent Him to the cross----all to no avail, and then His church. It is nothing less than stunning to see God turn it all around, for that was God at work, through the means of men who He raised up. All the persecution did was light a fire in the people, and open their ears to hear and love the word of God. The video should also give us a new understanding of persecution, so that we have a proper perspective on what we call persecution. I would hope also that it would give us a restored love and appreciation of His word and remember how precious it is and the blood that was shed all those centuries ago, that we might have it always before us.
Absolutely, yes it's been a while since I watched/listened to it, so I might do it soon, thank you.

Back