• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

A man carrying a pitcher of water

D

DancesWithGnostics

Mark 14:13

This is unusual in Jesus' day - CARRYING water, as we know, was woman's work.

There were Essene sections of Jerusalem - all male sections (although some Essenes were married, there were all male communities.

I had a book from the public library about these Essenes, and the author put it forth that THE LAST SUPPER was eaten in one of these Essene houses.

I will have to locate that book - was just wondering if anyone here knew of this.

There were Essene sections of Jerusalem - all male sections (although some Essenes were married, there were all male communities.

I had a book from the public library about these Essenes, and the author put it forth that THE LAST SUPPER was eaten in one of these Essene houses.

I will have to locate that book - was just wondering if anyone here knew of this.
Interesting idea. Didn't they have different ideas about how to celebrate Passover though? Perhaps you can find more evidence from the way the meal was conducted for this being and essene house. I have heard somewhere that the last supper was essenish based on some German guys theory if the eucharist as essene influenced.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ff14Vw0snMc

This is the video i think I'm getting that from. I'll say his ideas are quite out there and it's on a level where i don't know if all of what he is saying is true because I am not a formally trained theologian, but this is the best I can do for help.

Always think it's a good idea to go after what seems weird though, like Heiser says that's where the meat is usually.

The Essenes were definitely weird. There's no getting around that. In terms of contemporary comparisons I think we would consider them like a strange, isolationist group like the Amish, or Hutterites or worse-- like a cult group. I don't like the negative connotations of that assignment, but when you look closely at Josephus- they really do give off an extremist vibe.

How do you think Jesus knew to tell his disciples to watch for a man carrying water? Do you think he just knew all things?

Were male slaves ever required to carry water in Jesus’ day?

Not sure-- one would think that possible. Though it was considered woman's work, I don't imagine it being unheard of. Think of a household where the woman was not feeling well one day- Would her husband not offer to go get the water?

I don't know how Jesus knew to watch for the man CARRYING water. Like when he told disciples to go get the colt for triumphal entry - He just knew - like He could see it.

I don't know how Jesus knew to watch for the man CARRYING water. Like when he told disciples to go get the colt for triumphal entry - He just knew - like He could see it.

Like he had already seen it. Like he had seen Nathaniel sitting under a tree, though he wasn't there.

It seems something like CLAIRVOYANCE - seeing Nathaniel under the tree, the colt that He would ride in the triumphal entry, and the man carrying the water.

It seems something like CLAIRVOYANCE - seeing Nathaniel under the tree, the colt that He would ride in the triumphal entry, and the man carrying the water.

There’s some evidence of that. I can think of two incidents, one in Matt 9 and another in Luke 6 where scripture say he knew their thought, or what they were thinking. One could take that literally as a kind of clairvoyance or in a manner of speaking to suggest that he was very intuitive.

Last supper.

"And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in" (Luke 22:10).

Back