• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

60 verses of encouraging scriptures

M

MatthewG

Scripture list below !

#1 Corinthians 10:13
Philippians 4:4-7
Philippians 4:11-13
Ephesians 2:8-10
Ephesians 4:2-3
Romans 8:38-39
Romans 8:26-28
Colossians 4:2-3
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
#2 Timothy 2:22-23
#Matthew 4:4
Matthew 24:35
1 Peter 1:23-24
1 Timothy 2:1-2
Hebrews 4:12
Colossians 3:16
Luke 11:9-10
Luke 1:37
James 1:19-20
#Hebrews 13:15-18
#John 14:21
Romans 13:8
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Galatians 5:16
Romans 15:13
James 1:2-3
Romans 10:10-11
1 Timothy 2:3-6
#1 Timothy 1:14-15
Proverbs 16:18-24
Proverbs 16:3
Galatians 5:24
Galatians 2:20
#Colossians 3.1
Colossians 3:5
Romans 8:7
#1 Corinthians 9:27
James 1:12-15
James 1:2-5
#2 Peter 1:5-8
#James 1
#Galatians 5
#Proverbs 23:18
#Romans 15:4
#Micah 7:7

I think that’s “good” (and there’s nothing wrong with “good”) but 61 might put it over the top. To that end, I offer the ”very good” of Genesis 1:31, and a short story.

The very first lecture I gave in Kenya was, unknown to the students beforehand, about creation. Before I began the lecture I asked the students to rise from their seats, pass single file by a glassless window located in the back of the classroom, pause to reflect for a moment at the window, and then return to their seats. After they had all returned to their seats, I asked each one to tell us what they thought when they stood looking out the window. While most of the comments were positive (a few were negative - reflecting on the sad state of human affairs around them), not one of them said a word about creation.

After the last student had shared his thoughts, and without saying a word, I slowly strolled over to the window, paused with my hands clasped behind my back, and reflected for a moment. I returned to the front of the class, where I stood silently for a few seconds, slowly surveying the radiant faces of the students. Then I told them what I thought when I took my turn at the window - “When I, a stranger in your country, looked out the window, I thought about the magnificence of God’s creation. You are blessed to live in such a beautiful land, and I‘m blessed to live in it with you for a short while. It’s so easy for us to become distracted, or even disheartened, by what we see going on around us. Take a moment each day to reflect on creation. As beautiful as it is, it isn’t as beautiful now as it was in the beginning, nor is it as beautiful now as it will be after the restoration of all things. The time is coming when God, man and the angels will behold the work of his hands and see that what was very good in the beginning has been made very good again and forever.” (Paraphrased from memory.)

Thank you for sharing that short story, Mattahias. Very interesting that you taught over in that country. Did you go to school for your degree to teach? What and how did you end up over there in the position of teaching?

Thank you for sharing that short story, Mattahias. Very interesting that you taught over in that country. Did you go to school for your degree to teach? What and how did you end up over there in the position of teaching?

I went to school to earn several degrees but none of them with the intention of teaching. I was offered an opportunity to teach theology (a night job) which didn’t interfere with my work as a civil / environmental engineer (a day job).

The college I worked for was contacted by a (trinitarian) pastor in Kenya who had opened a small Bible College in Kakamega. The (non-denominational) pastor asked if my college could send a couple of professors to teach an intensive theology course at his college. I was sent, along with another professor, in response to the request.

[The professor who went with me was more experienced than I, and he was supposed to do the majority of the teaching. He fell ill on the way and wasn’t able to teach until the last two days of the six-day course. I exhausted all of the lecture material I had prepared for the trip on the first day. I had to “wing it“ the rest of the way (lecturing 8 hours per day for four days - four hours in the morning, two hours in the afternoon and two hours in the evening) until the other professor was able to join - relieve - me. The course wasn’t planned to be but essentially became - due to circumstances beyond our control - instruction in Systematic Theology.]

Scripture list below !

#1 Corinthians 10:13
Philippians 4:4-7
Philippians 4:11-13
Ephesians 2:8-10
Ephesians 4:2-3
Romans 8:38-39
Romans 8:26-28
Colossians 4:2-3
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
#2 Timothy 2:22-23
#Matthew 4:4
Matthew 24:35
1 Peter 1:23-24
1 Timothy 2:1-2
Hebrews 4:12
Colossians 3:16
Luke 11:9-10
Luke 1:37
James 1:19-20
#Hebrews 13:15-18
#John 14:21
Romans 13:8
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Romans 15:13
James 1:2-3
Romans 10:10-11
1 Timothy 2:3-6
#1 Timothy 1:14-15
Proverbs 16:18-24
Proverbs 16:3
Galatians 5:24
Galatians 2:20
#Colossians 3.1
Colossians 3:5
Romans 8:7
#1 Corinthians 9:27
James 1:12-15
James 1:2-5
#2 Peter 1:5-8
#James 1
#Galatians 5
#Proverbs 23:18
#Romans 15:4
#Micah 7:7
would be a good daily study....good job

Blade

I think that’s “good” (and there’s nothing wrong with “good”) but 61 might put it over the top. To that end, I offer the ”very good” of Genesis 1:31, and a short story.

The very first lecture I gave in Kenya was, unknown to the students beforehand, about creation. Before I began the lecture I asked the students to rise from their seats, pass single file by a glassless window located in the back of the classroom, pause to reflect for a moment at the window, and then return to their seats. After they had all returned to their seats, I asked each one to tell us what they thought when they stood looking out the window. While most of the comments were positive (a few were negative - reflecting on the sad state of human affairs around them), not one of them said a word about creation.

After the last student had shared his thoughts, and without saying a word, I slowly strolled over to the window, paused with my hands clasped behind my back, and reflected for a moment. I returned to the front of the class, where I stood silently for a few seconds, slowly surveying the radiant faces of the students. Then I told them what I thought when I took my turn at the window - “When I, a stranger in your country, looked out the window, I thought about the magnificence of God’s creation. You are blessed to live in such a beautiful land, and I‘m blessed to live in it with you for a short while. It’s so easy for us to become distracted, or even disheartened, by what we see going on around us. Take a moment each day to reflect on creation. As beautiful as it is, it isn’t as beautiful now as it was in the beginning, nor is it as beautiful now as it will be after the restoration of all things. The time is coming when God, man and the angels will behold the work of his hands and see that what was very good in the beginning has been made very good again and forever.” (Paraphrased from memory.)

It’s all pretty “good” where people don’t ruin it.

Back