• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Where does the spirit go upon a physical death?

Waiting on Him

We are about to bury my uncle Buddy. He was only 58 two years older than me. At the viewing tonight I couldn’t help but notice he was no longer there. So the question is where is he.

We grew up together and he had a spirit that was full of life. My Mother Reba- Uncle Buddys sister and I were having a conversation last night about where they will bury the body. In the conversation she asks, Jeffery where do you wish to be buried? My response was, I wish to be cremated. My wife also next to me responds the same as myself. Mom asked my wife how will you get out of the bottle when Jesus return's?

Mom is a Lutheran and they have recently adopted the entire rapture theory. She believes the Spirit goes to sleep and is in limbo somewhere awaiting the return of Jesus.

Ecclesiastes 12:6-8
Young's Literal Translation

6 While that the silver cord is not removed, And the golden bowl broken, And the pitcher broken by the fountain, And the wheel broken at the well.

7 And the dust returneth to the earth as it was, And the spirit returneth to God who gave it.

Ecclesiastes 12:6-8

Young's Literal Translation

6 While that the silver cord is not removed, And the golden bowl broken, And the pitcher broken by the fountain, And the wheel broken at the well.

7 And the dust returneth to the earth as it was, And the spirit returneth to God who gave it.
Verse 6. - Or ever; i.e. before, ere (ad asher lo). The words recall us to vers. 1 and 2, bidding the youth make the best use of his time ere old age cuts him off. In the present paragraph the final dissolution is described under two figures. The silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken. This is evidently one figure, which would be made plainer by reading "and" instead of "or," the idea being that the lamp is shattered by the snapping of the cord that suspended it from the roof. But there are some difficulties in the closer explanation of the allegory. The "bowl" (gullah) is the reservoir of oil in a lamp (see Zechariah 4:3, 4), which supplies nourishment to the flame; when this is broken or damaged so as to be useless, the light, of course, is extinguished. The Septuagint calls it τὸ ἀνθέμιον τοῦ χρυσίον: the Vulgate, vitta aurea, "the golden fillet," or flower ornament on a column, which quite sinks the notion of a light being quenched. The "cord" is that by which the lamp is hung in a tent or a room. But of what in man are these symbols? Many fanciful interpretations have been given. The "silver cord" is the spine, the nerves generally, the tongue; the "golden bowl" is the head, the membrane of the brain, the stomach. But these anatomical details are not to be adopted; they have little to recommend them, and are incongruous with the rest of the parable. The general break-up of life is here delineated, not the progress of destruction in certain organs or parts of the human frame. The cord is what we should call the thread of life, on which hangs the body lit by the animating soul; when the connection between these is severed, the latter perishes, like a fallen lamp lying crushed on the ground. In this our view the cord is the living power which keeps the corporeal substance from failing to ruin; the bowl is the body itself thus upheld. The mention of gold and silver is introduced to denote the preciousness of man's life and nature. But the analogy must not be pressed in all possible details. It is like the parables, where, if defined and examined too closely, incongruities appear. We should be inclined to make more of the lamp and the light and the oil, which are barely inferred in the passage, and endeavor to explain what these images import. Koheleth is satisfied with the general figure which adumbrates the dissolution of the material fabric by the withdrawal of the principle of life. What is the immediate cause of this dissolution, injury, paralysis, etc., is not handled; only the rupture is noticed and its fatal result. Another image to the same effect, though pointing to a different process, is added Or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or (and) the wheel broken at (in) the cistern. The picture here is a deep well or cistern with an apparatus for drawing water; this apparatus consists of a wheel or windlass with a rope upon it, to which is attached a bucket; the wheel fails, falls into the well, the bucket is dashed to pieces, and no water can be drawn. It is best to regard the two clauses as intended to convey one idea, as the two at the beginning of the verse were found to do. Some commentators, not so suitably, distinguish between the two, making the former clause say that the pitcher is broken on its road to or from the spring, and the latter that the draw-wheel gives way. The imagery, points to one notion which would be weakened by being divided into two. The motion of the bucket, the winding up and down, by which water is drawn from the well, is an emblem of the movements of the heart, the organs of respiration, etc. When these cease to act, life is extinct. The fraction of the cord and the demolition of the bowl denoted the separation of soul and body; the breaking of the pitcher and the destruction of the wheel signify the overthrow of the bodily organs by which vital motion is diffused and maintained, and the man lives. The expressions in the text remind one of the term, "earthen vessel," applied by St. Paul (2 Corinthians 4:7) to the human body; and "the fountain of life," "the water of life." so often mentioned in Holy Scripture as typical of the grace of God and the blessedness of life with him (see Psalm 36:9; Proverbs 13:14; John 4:10, 14; Revelation 21:6).

Thank you @Hillsage !

Ah, this is the very discussion in which Aunty Jane pretty much declared me demonic at CB! I tried to point out that there are very large bodies of very compelling evidence across multiple bodies of human experience indicating that consciousness is functioning at death and thereafter. The doctrine of "soul sleep" - Aunty Jane's doctrine - forces one to declare all of this human experience "demonic deception" (as Aunty does). Since deeply convicted Christians experience exactly the same things as atheists and Hindus, this seems to me to turn God into an Ineffectual Cosmic Doofus who can't even protect believers who are near death themselves from being deceived by demons convincingly masquerading as their late parents, spouses and children. WHAT???

Interestingly (or maybe not) the notion of the spirit being connected to the body by a "silver cord" is an ancient one, and some experiencers and observers who are by no means mystics have actually reported this.

Along with what @Waiting on Him says about Uncle Buddy, several people have told me about the experience of viewing a dead loved one and having the strong sense of "This isn't Buddy. This is just a shell. Something has departed."

Ah, this is the very discussion in which Aunty Jane pretty much declared me demonic at CB! I tried to point out that there are very large bodies of very compelling evidence across multiple bodies of human experience indicating that consciousness is functioning at death and thereafter. The doctrine of "soul sleep" - Aunty Jane's doctrine - forces one to declare all of this human experience "demonic deception" (as Aunty does). Since deeply convicted Christians experience exactly the same things as atheists and Hindus, this seems to me to turn God into an Ineffectual Cosmic Doofus who can't even protect believers who are near death themselves from being deceived by demons convincingly masquerading as their late parents, spouses and children. WHAT???

Interestingly (or maybe not) the notion of the spirit being connected to the body by a "silver cord" is an ancient one, and some experiencers and observers who are by no means mystics have actually reported this.

Along with what @Waiting on Him says about Uncle Buddy, several people have told me about the experience of viewing a dead loved one and having the strong sense of "This isn't Buddy. This is just a shell. Something has departed."
Indeed! There was only a shell there.

Ah, this is the very discussion in which Aunty Jane pretty much declared me demonic at CB!
I may despise Jack at CB's delight in the idea of sentient beings being cooked alive for all eternity, but at least he doesn't call me "sweetie".

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-426611522/poue-my-ashes

Title: Pour My Ashes
Track Time: 04:00 / BPM: 68

VS 1
Pour my ashes from the Narrows Bridge
Hear my bones splash in the water
Facing southwest -
see the breeze blow the fine dust
Gray clouds dancing in the sun

In the dead of winter -
I'll have darkness and silence
Summer's boats will hum up above
In time I'll find my way -
to rest below the birches -
in front of the home of my youth

I'll dream of watching - the sailing regatta
Colored sails against the sky so blue
And when the Lord returns -
I'll pull myself together -
to meet all the saints in the air

Copyright Steve Lundgren 2018
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After a relative passed away, the family sprinkled the ashes at the trunk and roots of a newly planted tree. We each were allowed to take a handful of ash to sprinkle or spread below the tree. This got me to thinking about what I might want done with my ashes. The lyrics of this song muse about my ashes being poured into the lake from a bridge near the home of my youth. So that I could find my way to rest below the birches in front of my childhood home. I imagine my conscious presence being with the ashes until the Lord returns when I pull myself together to meet the saints in the air. lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interestingly, an umbilical cord is silver. (very curious circumstances revealed this to me)
Sorry, I'm begging the question. - LOL

/

I truly appreciate all the responses. Today is a really hard day.
Glad you are finding some comfort on the forum.
Here's my silver cord story.

I was on another forum decades ago when someone was posting an absolute tirade about his anger toward God. At the end of his blistering post he wrote, "Consult your Holy Spirit and get back to me!" Woah! This guy was coming unglued. It was shocking to me. Even more surprising was what happened next.

God spoke to me. Clear as a bell. "Answer him." Say what? What should I tell him? (no response) Sigh, now what?

I paused for a moment and then leaned over my computer keyboard and began typing, giving little thought to what I was writing. I was familiar with prophetic messages, but had never written one before. I typed until I thought I was finished. I read what I wrote and corrected the obvious typos. Took a deep breath and sent it.

Under normal circumstances I would not tell someone to flip the Bible open and point to a verse for their answer. But that's what I wrote. The reader did exactly that and pointed to this verse. "Remember him—before the silver cord is severed, and the golden bowl is broken; before the pitcher is shattered at the spring, and the wheel broken at the well, - Ecclesiastes 12:6 NIV

The guy got back to me. He said when he read the verse that he pointed to randomly, that it reminded him of the umbilical cord of the child and her mother both of whom were lost in childbirth. He had made a 180 in his attitude and was now very repentant.

The other vultures on the forum all attacked me for presuming to act as a prophet. We never heard from the guy again. I believe he was okay. He just needed to get away from the forum.

] cc: @O'Darby III @Hillsage

Back