• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What is Faith, according to the Scriptures

S

Studyman

The word Faith is bandied about a lot in the religions of this world. Most all people, of all the various religious sects of mainstream Christianity, claim to have Faith. Given all the warnings Jesus and His Father gave regarding people coming in God's/Christ's Name to deceive, it seems prudent to follow the instructions of the Word of God, and trust the Holy Scriptures to define this Word for us, as both Jesus and Paul instructed. (Matt. 4:4 and 2 Tim. 3:15-17)

The Hebrew word for Faith is "emuwn" which means "established" (fig) "Trusty", "trustworthiness". Other words in the Hebrew definition include "firmness, fidelity, stability, set office, steady, truth.

The first time it is used in the Holy scriptures in Ex. 17:12; But Moses' hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady (Faithful) until the going down of the sun.

It is used again in Duet 32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end shall be: for they are a very froward generation, children in whom is no faith.

The words, "Faith, Faithful, Faithfully, Faithfulness are used 56 times (KJV) in the Law and Prophets. When Paul wrote his Letter to the Romans regarding the Gospel of Christ, he said that it was in the Law and Prophets where his Gospel, and subsequent Faith was found.

Rom. 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith (Faithfulness of Abel Noah and Abraham etc) to faith ( Faithfulness of Caleb, Shadreck and Malachi, etc. ) as it is written, The just shall live by faith. (Habakkuk 2:4)

Paul said these examples written in the Gospel of Christ, that is, the examples of Faithful men, and the examples of men who were not Faithful, were written for our examples. that is, those Faithful folks which exist after Jesus ascended.

1 Cor. 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

5 But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness. (Some were Faithful, some were not) 6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.

This is why it's so important to Trust the God of the Bible, and not the religious doctrines, traditions and philosophies of this world, as Paul also specifically warns.

Col. 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The Greek meaning of faith mirrors the Hebrew meaning.

"pistis"= "persuasion", credence, conviction (of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God, or His Prophets and disciples) reliance on the Christ ( from whom the examples of the Law and Prophets ate and drank) for Salvation. Constancy in such profession, "the system of Gospel Truth itself", assurance, fidelity, Faith, belief.

Paul says the Children of Israel's journey, who was written specifically for our admonition, was offered this same Gospel, but "many" fell in the wilderness.

Heb. 4:2 For unto us ( Those who exist after Jesus was killed and raised from the dead) was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: (those who existed in the Law and Prophets) but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith ( trustworthiness, fidelity, firmness) in them that heard it.

So we should be diligent, regardless of what religious voices surround us, to allow only the Voice of God, and His Holy Scriptures HE inspired to guide us. And become Faithful to HIM, and not this worlds religious philosophies.

Is. 26:1 In that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah; We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks. 2 Open ye the gates, that the righteous nation which keepeth the truth ( emuwn ) may enter in. 3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. 4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

John 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

How can an essay on faith not include
Heb 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not being seen. ??? which ties the ideas of conviction (of a truth) and that truth not being proven strongly together? Assurance or substance is connected closely with conviction and evidence...

At its essence, faith is an unproven hope that you accept because it expresses your strongest desire for the way you want things to be and so which you hope it will prove out.

Heb 11:1 Now 1161 faith 4102 is 2076 the substance 5287 of things hoped for 1679, the evidence 1650 of things 4229 not 3756 seen 991 .

Substance: Strong's G5287 - hypostasis
1) a setting or placing under
a) thing put under, substructure, foundation

2) that which has foundation, is firm
a) that which has actual existence

1) a substance, real being
b) the substantial quality, nature, of a person or thing
c) the steadfastness of mind, firmness, courage, resolution

1) confidence, firm trust, assurance

Evidence Strong's G1650 - elegchos
1) a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested
2) conviction

Substance can refer to the actual real foundation of an object, the essential quality or nature of a person or thing or, emotionally, a confidence, firm trust, assurance of mind.

So, "faith is the substance of things hoped for" could mean:

faith is the foundation of the object hope...mmmm, not quite,
faith is the essential quality or nature of hope.....mmm, better,
faith is the confidence, firm trust, and assurance of hope....yes, I think so!

IF you have a confident, trusting assurance of hope in something / someone, you have faith.

Now, Evidence is either a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested, or a conviction.

So, "faith is... the evidence of things not seen." could mean either:
faith is the tested proof of things not seen or
faith is the conviction (of mind) of things not seen, which meshes seamlessly with the word "substance."

The first definition of faith would yield, "faith is the tested proof of things unproven..." which is not only silly but also contradicts "Faith is the opposite of sight." Therefore faith is the opposite of proof suggesting that the translators of the KJV did us a disservice choosing to go with "evidence" implying "proof" rather than with "conviction."

If faith is the proof of unseen things then how can those with a misplaced faith, Hindus, atheists, Jihadists to mention a few, have proof of something that is a lie? If their unseen thing does not exist but faith is the proof of it...how can the non-existing have a proof it exists?

If you have a conviction or hope of things not seen / unproven, you have faith.

Why do I reject the word "belief" in this context?
James 2:19, "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." but they do not hope, they believe from proof. Their belief is NOT faithful, but proven.

Devils have proof:
Luke 4:34 "Ha! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God!"

KNOW: Strong's G1492 - eidō
1) to see
a) to perceive with the eyes
b) to perceive by any of the senses
c) to perceive, notice, discern, discover
d) to see
which is opposite to things unseen, not by sight.

Jesus Himself differentiates between belief in the proven and belief in the unproven:
John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

I see Hebrews 11:1 as telling me that my faith should be as strong as something I could feel and touch (substance) as something I can actually see. God has gotten me through many things in life and I have faith.

How can an essay on faith not include
Heb 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not being seen. ??? which ties the ideas of conviction (of a truth) and that truth not being proven strongly together? Assurance or substance is connected closely with conviction and evidence...

The Gospel of Christ that Paul taught, which was found in the Law and Prophets, and was based on Faith/Faithfulness taught in the Old Testament, as he said in the Scripture I provided, was a continuance of the Faith/Faithfulness Abraham had.. This is the foundation for the Faith of Jesus, and of all the examples of "Faithful men" that God gave to us.

The New Testament is this living Faith brought into action.

At its essence, faith is an unproven hope that you accept because it expresses your strongest desire for the way you want things to be and so which you hope it will prove out.

Heb 11:1 Now 1161 faith 4102 is 2076 the substance 5287 of things hoped for 1679, the evidence 1650 of things 4229 not 3756 seen 991 .

Substance: Strong's G5287 - hypostasis
1) a setting or placing under
a) thing put under, substructure, foundation

2) that which has foundation, is firm
a) that which has actual existence

1) a substance, real being
b) the substantial quality, nature, of a person or thing
c) the steadfastness of mind, firmness, courage, resolution

1) confidence, firm trust, assurance

Evidence Strong's G1650 - elegchos
1) a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested
2) conviction

Substance can refer to the actual real foundation of an object, the essential quality or nature of a person or thing or, emotionally, a confidence, firm trust, assurance of mind.

So, "faith is the substance of things hoped for" could mean:

faith is the foundation of the object hope...mmmm, not quite,
faith is the essential quality or nature of hope.....mmm, better,
faith is the confidence, firm trust, and assurance of hope....yes, I think so!

IF you have a confident, trusting assurance of hope in something / someone, you have faith.

Now, Evidence is either a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested, or a conviction.

So, "faith is... the evidence of things not seen." could mean either:
faith is the tested proof of things not seen or
faith is the conviction (of mind) of things not seen, which meshes seamlessly with the word "substance."

The first definition of faith would yield, "faith is the tested proof of things unproven..." which is not only silly but also contradicts "Faith is the opposite of sight." Therefore faith is the opposite of proof suggesting that the translators of the KJV did us a disservice choosing to go with "evidence" implying "proof" rather than with "conviction."

If faith is the proof of unseen things then how can those with a misplaced faith, Hindus, atheists, Jihadists to mention a few, have proof of something that is a lie? If their unseen thing does not exist but faith is the proof of it...how can the non-existing have a proof it exists?

If you have a conviction or hope of things not seen / unproven, you have faith.

Why do I reject the word "belief" in this context?
James 2:19, "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." but they do not hope, they believe from proof. Their belief is NOT faithful, but proven.

Devils have proof:
Luke 4:34 "Ha! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are--the Holy One of God!"

KNOW: Strong's G1492 - eidō
1) to see
a) to perceive with the eyes
b) to perceive by any of the senses
c) to perceive, notice, discern, discover
d) to see
which is opposite to things unseen, not by sight.

Jesus Himself differentiates between belief in the proven and belief in the unproven:
John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Abraham had this Faith, Zacharias had this Faith, Simeon had this Faith. they believed God, and followed Him to a land, or Spiritually I believe this means "Mindset", (Let this mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus) that he could not "SEE".

Gen. 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: 2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: 3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. 4 So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him;

Abraham was Faithful to God, trustworthy even though he was following God on a journey he had never been on, nor was it even possible for him to understand the promise. Yet, he left his religions, his family, his traditions on this journey anyway. He was truly Faithful.

The Jesus of the Bible requires "ALL" who come to Him, to have this same Faith.

"And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, (Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house) and follow me."

Without this foundation, men will not have the same Faith, and will become as those who were first given the Gospel of Christ. This is why Paul and Jesus both promote the Law and Prophets to make us "Wise unto Salvation". And also why they both taught those who believe they are already there, already saved, to "Beware" and "Take Heed", lest they fall.

And man can not have the Christ, without His Father. And a man can not know Faith, unless the Father Teaches us what it is. In my view.

I see Hebrews 11:1 as telling me that my faith should be as strong as something I could feel and touch (substance) as something I can actually see. God has gotten me through many things in life and I have faith.
I posted this thread because I wanted to demonstrate how important it is to let God/Christ define Faith for us, not the religions of the world we were born into. EVERY example of Faith shown in Heb. 11, was taken from the Law and Prophets.

It seems important to let the Author of the Faith in the Law and Prophets define Faithfulness for us. I believe the Spirit of the Christ of the Bible was the author of Abraham and Caleb's Faith.

Yes I agree. It is a trust in God to both do and be able to do all the things that He promises. To be who He says He is and faithful to the the word that He has given us. "Even when we are faithless, He remains faithful." (2 Tim 2:13) Faithless here does not mean we are without faith but are sometimes unfaithful in our Christian walk in one way or another. Complacence being a big one. We are not in the old covenant with its laws and ceremonies , but the new, one that requires trust in Christ alone, His person and His work, to carry us to the promised land, the new heaven and the new earth. He promises to never leave or forsake us, so He won't. It means our hope is certain.

Yes I agree. It is a trust in God to both do and be able to do all the things that He promises. To be who He says He is and faithful to the the word that He has given us. "Even when we are faithless, He remains faithful." (2 Tim 2:13) Faithless here does not mean we are without faith but are sometimes unfaithful in our Christian walk in one way or another. Complacence being a big one. We are not in the old covenant with its laws and ceremonies , but the new, one that requires trust in Christ alone, His person and His work, to carry us to the promised land, the new heaven and the new earth. He promises to never leave or forsake us, so He won't. It means our hope is certain.

He never made this promise to the unfaithful.

Those religious men who created shrines of worship, with preachers in the chief seats of the house, who had the Oracles of God but didn't believe them, who created images of God in the likeness of men, who created their own high days in worship of this image, who rejects God's Definition of Faithfulness, Clean, Holy, Righteousness, and good, and created their own, were told over and over they would not enter the land. The Pharisees didn't believe HIM. The mainstream religions of this world I was born into doesn't believe Him either.

EZ. 20:11 And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them. (Man shall Live By Every Word which proceeds from the mouth of God) 12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. 13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

Paul says these are examples written for us, so that we do not become Unfaithful like they did.

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall."

Good advice, for those who believe it.

What promise are you talking about?
Those religious men who created shrines of worship, with preachers in the chief seats of the house, who had the Oracles of God but didn't believe them, who created images of God in the likeness of men, who created their own high days in worship of this image, who rejects God's Definition of Faithfulness, Clean, Holy, Righteousness, and good, and created their own, were told over and over they would not enter the land. The Pharisees didn't believe HIM. The mainstream religions of this world I was born into doesn't believe Him either.
Well there you go again. But to step off the rabbit trail ---their faithlessness showed their lack of faith in God. You can't very well be faithful to something without faith in it.
Paul says these are examples written for us, so that we do not become Unfaithful like they did.

Yes they were.

Now that you have found that scripture, by advice would be to take heed of it.

EZ. 20:11 And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them. (Man shall Live By Every Word which proceeds from the mouth of God) 12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them. 13 But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them.

He never made it to the proud and haughty.

Proverbs 21:4 – A haughty look, a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked are sin.

Yes, those who are so self exalted and so self serving that they believe "I'm already saved, what more could I possibly gain in obeying God".

Back