• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

What does it mean to be a branch?

To abide in Him is follow His commands, just as He follows the Father's commands. Easier said than done my friend. Nutrition is the Word Of God and obedience.

PJ,

Do you believe God gave Jesus different commandments than HE gave Abraham or Moses? (Excluding of course, the Levitical Priesthood Abraham didn't have)

No, I don't.

I used to think that too. But then I thought about Him and HIS Work God sent Him to do.

Col. 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

"thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers" have existed long before the Christ became a man in the person of Jesus. I mean, I get that HE Walked in the Commandments of God given to mankind. But if HE created these things, I was never given such a Commandment. I was not given power over all flesh, Or the Command to create powers.

Anyway, It made we see the Verse you referenced in a New Light.

Jn. 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Just a thought. Thanks for answering.

You cut yourself off.
You don't want to depend on the vine.
You don't think you have to.

Yes. Say there is for example a blood clot in where the branch is not letting the nutrients in. The Farmer cuts the branch off. However it can have its blood clot removed as an example in looking back at the right source. Very good observation. I use blood but sometimes branches have something that is blocking it in the branch that nutrients do not flow through and the branch of a tree or flower dies. Could be bad water for another example.

Now sometimes branches will get pruned back and they do produce more fruit if they endure the pruning.

Thank you to all for commenting

I remember there is a scripture saying somewhere this is a paraphrase of it “hold on God let it grow a little longer and see if it will produce any fruit before we cut it down” so there is also the chance of someone changing their mind and starting to look to the Lord Jesus Christ as the vine of their nutrients.

Because as branches we do not do anything we just receive nutrients as long as we are allowing the Father through the spirit of Christ in us to work which is a total choice.

Yes. Say there is for example a blood clot in where the branch is not letting the nutrients in. The Farmer cuts the branch off. However it can have its blood clot removed as an example in looking back at the right source. Very good observation. I use blood but sometimes branches have something that is blocking it in the branch that nutrients do not flow through and the branch of a tree or flower dies. Could be bad water for another example.

Now sometimes branches will get pruned back and they do produce more fruit if they endure the pruning.

Thank you to all for commenting
I like the way you think young man. I was reminded of this while a few posts here.

Ephesians 3:17-19 KJV -

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

John 15​

New Living Translation​

Jesus, the True Vine​

15 “I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. 3 You have already been pruned and purified by the message I have given you. 4 Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me.

5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. 7 But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! 8 When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.

9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. 16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

Paul Speaks of this tree/vine and it's branches in Romans 11. He is talking about the Chosen people Israel, and how they lost their way. Not all of them, as God has always retained a remnant. Zacharias of Luke was one such "branch", in my view. But those "Examples of Unbelief" that heard the Gospel before us, but didn't "mix it with Faith" were cut off. (Heb. 4:1&2)

This is a great chapter to understand when speaking about the "Holy Tree" or it's branches that bring forth fruit.

Rom. 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit (The Risen Christ) be holy, the lump (Man Jesus) is also holy: and if the root (Foundation of the Tree) be holy, so are the branches. (Those who are fed by the foundation)

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, ( Jews in whom is no Faith/belief) and thou, (Gentile) being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith (Belief). Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

There is a Foundation of God, the Holy Root of HIS Tree. shown in the Holy Scriptures.

2 Pet. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. (Branches that are not cut off) And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (Something the Branches that were cut off didn't do)

Abel, Noah, Abraham, Caleb, Rehab, Gideon, David, Samuel, Zacharias, Simeon, Anna, and so on. I believe these are the Branches that were not cut off. Rehab was a Gentile who was "Grafted into this Holy Tree" and partook of the foundation of God, "With these other Faithful men". Jesus was the BRANCH of God. The Law and Prophets were Him, the Word of God.

Anyway, it is a wonderful study, but one that will bring question to a lot of popular religious doctrines and traditions of this world. I don't want to take over your thread, and I can get quite type happy, so I'll try and keep this short.

The Word "Rod" means Branch in Hebrew. If you replace the Word Rod in the Law and Prophets with "Branch" and then understand that the Branch of God is the Christ who became Jesus, doing signs and wonders in Egypt, that Budded for Aaron, that Jonathan stuck into the honey, you will have a greater understanding of what GOD wants us to know what it means to be a branch. In my view.

Ps. 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Great question, fascinating study, great topic.

Paul Speaks of this tree/vine and it's branches in Romans 11. He is talking about the Chosen people Israel, and how they lost their way. Not all of them, as God has always retained a remnant. Zacharias of Luke was one such "branch", in my view. But those "Examples of Unbelief" that heard the Gospel before us, but didn't "mix it with Faith" were cut off. (Heb. 4:1&2)

This is a great chapter to understand when speaking about the "Holy Tree" or it's branches that bring forth fruit.

Rom. 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

16 For if the firstfruit (The Risen Christ) be holy, the lump (Man Jesus) is also holy: and if the root (Foundation of the Tree) be holy, so are the branches. (Those who are fed by the foundation)

17 And if some of the branches be broken off, ( Jews in whom is no Faith/belief) and thou, (Gentile) being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith (Belief). Be not highminded, but fear:

21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

There is a Foundation of God, the Holy Root of HIS Tree. shown in the Holy Scriptures.

2 Pet. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. (Branches that are not cut off) And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. (Something the Branches that were cut off didn't do)

Abel, Noah, Abraham, Caleb, Rehab, Gideon, David, Samuel, Zacharias, Simeon, Anna, and so on. I believe these are the Branches that were not cut off. Rehab was a Gentile who was "Grafted into this Holy Tree" and partook of the foundation of God, "With these other Faithful men". Jesus was the BRANCH of God. The Law and Prophets were Him, the Word of God.

Anyway, it is a wonderful study, but one that will bring question to a lot of popular religious doctrines and traditions of this world. I don't want to take over your thread, and I can get quite type happy, so I'll try and keep this short.

The Word "Rod" means Branch in Hebrew. If you replace the Word Rod in the Law and Prophets with "Branch" and then understand that the Branch of God is the Christ who became Jesus, doing signs and wonders in Egypt, that Budded for Aaron, that Jonathan stuck into the honey, you will have a greater understanding of what GOD wants us to know what it means to be a branch. In my view.

Ps. 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Great question, fascinating study, great topic.

Very helpful to the subject; and thank you for taking time to point out everything which God has shown you in your study of this topic at hand, studyman. You did a really great job at expounding.

Very helpful to the subject; and thank you for taking time to point out everything which God has shown you in your study of this topic at hand, studyman. You did a really great job at expounding.
Jesus is the vine.

Blade

Back