• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Unity of the faith - at what cost?

SteVen

The call for doctrinal unity has gone out across the centuries.
Are we there yet? (not by a long shot)

Where is the problem?
Perhaps it is in the assumption that the unity of the faith is doctrinal unity.

Discussion questions:
1) Can there be unity of the faith that overlooks doctrinal differences?
2) Does the Body of Christ have room for differing views on doctrine?
3) What would the church look like if we didn't label differing views as BAD or FALSE doctrines?
4) Is a differing view unbiblical simply because it doesn't agree with our own biblical position?
5) Can two opposing views BOTH be biblical, if biblical evidence to support each view is given?

\

I would venture a tentative answer to the first question: Can there be unity of the faith that overlooks doctrinal differences? I think it depends on how fundamental or "core" the issue is to the Faith (capital "F") as a whole. Unity in essentials, liberty in inessentials -- as we Episcopalians like to say.

But don't ask me where to draw a precise line between the two!

I would venture a tentative answer to the first question: Can there be unity of the faith that overlooks doctrinal differences? I think it depends on how fundamental or "core" the issue is to the Faith (capital "F") as a whole. Unity in essentials, liberty in inessentials -- as we Episcopalians like to say.

I remember a teacher saying- in essentials, unity, in non-essentials liberty.... in all things charity.

Ah, but yes..... where is that line?

@SteVen -- broaden your scope. People might call it 'Big Tent' theology and when it comes to universalist ideology- they might picture a tent big enough for say-- Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, and so on...

Now we have some real "doctrinal differences" beyond sprinkle or dunk.

That's good; Welcome to the forum.

/

Back