• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The soldiers mock Jesus

M

MatthewG

“The soldiers led Jesus away into the palace (that is, the Praetorium) and called together the whole company of soldiers.

They put a purple robe on him, then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on him.

And they began to call out to him, “Hail, king of the Jews!”

Again and again they struck him on the head with a staff and spit on him.

Falling on their knees, they paid homage to him. And when they had mocked him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him.

Then they led him out to crucify him.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭15:16-20‬ ‭NIV‬‬

They’ll see him again. The next meeting will be very different than the first meeting.

What will he decide to do with them?

Last week I read a document for the first time that I’ve known about for a long time but hadn’t gotten around to reading: A True Letter of Our Savior Jesus Christ.

Has anyone else on the forum read it?

It sounds to me like the Catholic Church speaking rather than Jesus Christ. Of interest to me, and perhaps to others, is what Jesus purportedly said about what happened to him on that day. The figures are horrendous.

Last week I read a document for the first time that I’ve known about for a long time but hadn’t gotten around to reading: A True Letter of Our Savior Jesus Christ.

Has anyone else on the forum read it?

It sounds to me like the Catholic Church speaking rather than Jesus Christ. Of interest to me, and perhaps to others, is what Jesus purportedly said about what happened to him on that day. The figures are horrendous.

Haven't read it.... They (the Catholics) purport it to have been a note penned by Jesus and left in his tomb.

Not reported-- it wasn't discovered until after the resurrection, on the morning of April 1'st. Carved in stone on the inside of the tomb was etched- All men die, but -- There's a sucker born every minute.

Be it known that the number of armed soldiers were 150; those who trailed me while I was bound were 23. The executioners of justice were 83; the blows received on my head were 150; those on my stomach, 108; kicks on my shoulders, 80. I was led, bound with cords by the hair, 24 times; spits in the face were 180; I was beaten on the body 6666 times; beaten on the head 110 times; I was roughly pushed, and at 12 o' clock I was lifted up by the hair; pricked with thorns and pulled by the beard 23 times; received 20 wounds on the head; thorns of marine junks, 72; pricks of thorns in the head, 110; mortal thorns in the forehead, 3. I was afterwards flogged and dressed as a mocked king; wounds in the body, 1000. The soldiers who led Me to the Calvary were 608; those who watched Me were 3, and those who mocked Me were 1008; the drops of blood which I lost were 28,430.

Haven't read it.... They (the Catholics) purport it to have been a note penned by Jesus and left in his tomb.

Not reported-- it wasn't discovered until after the resurrection, on the morning of April 1'st. Carved in stone on the inside of the tomb was etched- All men die, but -- There's a sucker born every minute.

Be it known that the number of armed soldiers were 150; those who trailed me while I was bound were 23. The executioners of justice were 83; the blows received on my head were 150; those on my stomach, 108; kicks on my shoulders, 80. I was led, bound with cords by the hair, 24 times; spits in the face were 180; I was beaten on the body 6666 times; beaten on the head 110 times; I was roughly pushed, and at 12 o' clock I was lifted up by the hair; pricked with thorns and pulled by the beard 23 times; received 20 wounds on the head; thorns of marine junks, 72; pricks of thorns in the head, 110; mortal thorns in the forehead, 3. I was afterwards flogged and dressed as a mocked king; wounds in the body, 1000. The soldiers who led Me to the Calvary were 608; those who watched Me were 3, and those who mocked Me were 1008; the drops of blood which I lost were 28,430.

What do you think about the figures? Do they sound exaggerated to you?

What do you think about the figures? Do they sound exaggerated to you?

It's completely implausible. Not the number of blows, or spits, or soldiers--- the WHOLE of it, the premise of it... is ridiculous.

It's completely implausible. Not the number of blows, or spits, or soldiers--- the WHOLE of it, the premise of it... is ridiculous.

Thanks.

I haven’t spoken with any Catholics about it but I have read some online conversations about it between Catholics. Some of them accepted the letter as being genuine and some didn’t. All who had read the letter seemed to value it as a good devotional. Many had never heard of it before.

If it isn’t genuine, and if the figures are exaggerated, I question its suitability as a devotional.

Thanks.

I haven’t spoken with any Catholics about it but I have read some online conversations about it between Catholics. Some of them accepted the letter as being genuine and some didn’t. All who had read the letter seemed to value it as a good devotional. Many had never heard of it before.

If it isn’t genuine, and if the figures are exaggerated, I question its suitability as a devotional.

Imagine having the very words written by the hand of Jesus, straight from his tomb— a note he left on his pillow.

And it didn’t make it into scripture.

Imagine having the very words written by the hand of Jesus, straight from his tomb— a note he left on his pillow.

And it didn’t make it into scripture.

The history of the letter is a little unclear. The story is that St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, St. Bridget and St. Matilda - all of whom lived in the 13th century - wanted to know more about the event and so they prayed for a revelation from Jesus. Jesus, it is claimed, heard their prayer and gave them the revelation they asked for. Elizabeth wrote it down in the form of a letter.

The history of the letter is a little unclear. The story is that St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, St. Bridget and St. Matilda - all of whom lived in the 13th century - wanted to know more about the event and so they prayed for a revelation from Jesus. Jesus, it is claimed, heard their prayer and gave them the revelation they asked for. Elizabeth wrote it down in the form of a letter.

I'm sorry. I misread that---- my first look I saw- "a copy of this letter was found in the holy sepulchre" --and jumped to the false conclusion I made.

The reality, it's even worse than that. It's a letter that was (supposedly) dictated by Jesus 1200 years after the resurrection.... and more! It's a magic letter that can save you from death and disease, just by carrying a copy around. (Copies sold separately).

Back