• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The Purple Worm

S

Sissy

OIP.oUYBfVBeBKrnTNkq_8U0oQAAAA

Fishermen know of those packages of different colored worms to use as fishing bait.
If you went fishing in a certain spot and threw out a yellow one and got no nibbles, then a red one and got no nibbles, then a green one and got no nibbles, and then a purple one and started catching fish with that color then you would use it more often in that spot.

I heard a preacher years ago use this analogy of how Satan tempts.
Most people will struggle with the same sin over and over again.
Satan cannot read your mind.
But he can notice which sin you nibble at the most and that is the one he will most likely use to bait you over and over again.

Satan cannot read your mind.
I've never understood how preachers come up with this idea.
If I draw near to God the evil one will flee.
James 4:7
7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
Then there's this.
Luke 22:3
3 Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

4 And he went his way, and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray him unto them.
Luke 22:31
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

How well does the preacher’s analogy fit with Satan’s temptation of Messiah?

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet he did not sin.”

(Hebrews 4:15, NIV)

Back