• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The origin of name replacement

C

CherubRam

The origin of name replacement started with the Hellenistic Jews.
During the Babylonian captivity the Hebrew language spoken by the Jews was replaced by the Aramaic language of their Babylonian captors.
Aramaic was closely related to Hebrew and, while sharing many vocabulary words in common, contained some words that sounded the same or similar but had other meanings.

In Aramaic, the Hebrew word for “blaspheme” used in Leviticus 24:16, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of YHWH must be put to death” began to be interpreted as “pronounce” rather than “blaspheme”.
When the Jews began speaking Aramaic, this verse was (mis)understood to mean, “Anyone who pronounces the name of YHWH must be put to death.”
Since then, observant Jews have maintained the custom of not pronouncing the name, but use Adonai (“my Lord”) instead.
This also lead to some believing that God's name is not pronounceable.

It was the Hellenistic Jews who started this practice centuries ago. They started a doctrine believing that the name of God was to sacred or holy to be pronounced. By the time of Yahshua's arrival in the Second Temple Era, they had begun to change traditional Hebrew names that contained even part of the name of God (these are called Theophoric names). So Yahshua's name became shortened to Yeshua because it started with the first two consonant letters of YHWH.

"Yeho" prefixes changed to "Yo" prefixes

In the table below, 13 theophoric names with "Yeho" prefixes have corresponding forms (in bold type) where the letters "eh"' have been omitted.

There is a theory by Christian Ginsburg that this is due to Hebrew scribes omitting the "h", changing Jeho (יְהוֹ) into Jo (יוֹ), to make the start of "Yeho-" names not sound like an attempt to pronounce the Divine Name. Table of theophoric names with "Yeho" and "Yo" prefixes​

[Note that theophoric names with "יוֹ" [i.e. "Yo"] are written in bold letters.]

Strong's #Hebrew wordStrong's Transliteration
Strong's Words Compounded​
English Spelling
3059​
יְהוֹאָחָז​
Yehow'achaz​
Jehovah & achaz [# 270]​
Jehoachaz​
יוֹאָחָז​
Yow'achaz
"a form of 3059"
Joachaz
3060​
יְהוֹאָש​
Yehow'ash​
Jehovah & 'esh [# 784]​
Jehoash​
יוֹאָש​
Yow'ash
"a form of 3060"
Joash
3075​
יְהוֹזָבָד​
Yehowzabad​
Jehovah & zabad [# 2064]​
Jehozabad​
יוֹזָבָד​
Yowzabad
"a form of 3075"
Jozabad
3076​
יְהוֹחָנָן​
Yehowchanan​
Jehovah & chanan [# 2603]​
Jehochanan​
יוֹחָנָן​
Yowchanan
"a form of 3076"
Jochanan
3077​
יְהוֹיָדָע​
Yehowyada​
Jehovah & yada [# 3045]​
Jehojada​
יוֹיָדָע​
Yowyada
"a form of 3077"
Jojada
3078​
יְהוֹיָכִין​
Yehowyakiyn​
Jehovah & kuwn [# 3559]​
Jehojakin​
יוֹיָכִין​
Yowyakiyn
"a form of 3078"
Jojakin
3079​
יְהוֹיָקִימ​
Yehowyaqiym​
Jehovah & quwm [# 3965]​
Jehojakim​
יוֹיָקִימ​
Yowyaqiym
"a form of 3079"
Jojakim
3080​
יְהוֹיָרִיב​
Yehowyariyb​
Jehovah & riyb [# 7378]​
Jehojarib​
יוֹיָרִיב​
Yowyariyb
"a form of 3080"
Jojarib
3082​
יְהוֹנָדָב​
Yehownadab​
Jehovah & nadab [# 5068]​
Jehonadab​
יוֹנָדָב​
Yownadab
"a form of 3082"
Jonadab
3083​
יְהוֹנָתָן​
Yehownathan​
Jehovah & nathan [# 5414]​
Jehonathan​
יוֹנָתָן​
Yownathan
"a form of 3083"
Jonathan
3085​
יְהוֹעַדָּה​
Yehow'addah​
Jehovah & 'adah [# 5710]​
Jehoaddah​
3087​
יְהוֹצָדָק​
Yehowtsadaq​
Jehovah & tsadaq [# 6663]​
Jehotsadak​
יוֹצָדָק​
Yowtsadaq
"a form of 3087"
Jotsadak
3088​
יְהוֹרָם​
Yehowram​
Jehovah & ruwm [# 7311]​
Jehoram​
יוֹרָם​
Yowram
"a form of 3088"
Joram
3092​
יְהוֹשָפָט​
Yehowshaphat​
Jehovah & shaphat [# 8199]​
Jehoshaphat​
יוֹשָפָט​
Yowshaphat
"a form of 3092"
Joshaphat

After the Roman conquest of Greece in the first century BC, Latin adopted the Greek letters Y and Z. It was not until the Middle Ages that the letter W (originally a ligature of V and V) was added to the Latin alphabet, to represent sounds from the Germanic languages which did not exist in medieval Latin, and only after the Renaissance did the convention of treating I and U as vowels, and J and V as consonants, become established. Prior to that, the former had been merely allographs of the latter.

About the eighth century AD the Hebrew Waw was abandoned for Vav, possibly as a Germanic influence upon the Hebrew language.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out:
and I will write upon him the name of My God,
and the name of the city of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God:
and I will write upon him My new name.

Revelation 3:12

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go no more out:
and I will write upon him the name of My God,
and the name of the city of My God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from My God:
and I will write upon him My new name.

Revelation 3:12
and I will write upon him the name of My God,...

and I will write upon him the name of My God,...
But when ye go over Jordan, and dwell in the land which the Lord your God giveth you to inherit,
and when He giveth you rest from all your enemies round about, so that ye dwell in safety;
Then there shall be a place which the Lord your God shall choose to cause His name to dwell there;
thither shall ye bring all that I command you;
your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes,
and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the Lord:

And ye shall rejoice before the Lord your God,
ye, and your sons, and your daughters, and your menservants, and your maidservants,
and the Levite that is within your gates; forasmuch as He hath no part nor inheritance with you

Deuteronomy 12:10-12​

But when ye go over Jordan, and dwell in the land which the Lord your God giveth you to inherit,
and when He giveth you rest from all your enemies round about, so that ye dwell in safety;
Then there shall be a place which the Lord your God shall choose to cause His name to dwell there;
thither shall ye bring all that I command you;
your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes,
and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the Lord:

And ye shall rejoice before the Lord your God,
ye, and your sons, and your daughters, and your menservants, and your maidservants,
and the Levite that is within your gates; forasmuch as He hath no part nor inheritance with you

Deuteronomy 12:10-12​
CR just corrected you and he is right.

Strike two.

Back