• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

The mystery of Nazareth - and Jesus

O'Darby III

This is another nugget inspired the Great Courses series with Bart Ehrman that I'm watching ...

(That's right - I regard my posts as nuggets! Nuggets of what, you'll have to decide for yourself.)

Apart from the NT, there is absolutely no historcal record of Nazareth. It is not mentioned anywhere. Even Josephus, who lived in the first century and whose historical writings comprise thousands of pages, never mentions it.

And yet, we know it existed. Archaeologists have identified and excavated it.

It was a tiny, inconsequential village. There was no school, no synagogue, no publc building of any kind. Only houses for perhaps 200-300 inhabitants, all of whom would've been humble laborers. Jesus is described as a tekton, one who worked with his hands.

So where on earth (or perhaps not on earth) did Jesus acquire his knowledge, his parables, his debating and rhetorical skills, his quirky way with words? His theology was quite different from the Pharisees, more akin to the Sadducees - but the Sadducees were the wealthy elite in league with the Romans. Ehrman insists he couldn't have been an Essene, although it's conceivable John the Baptist may have had some affiliiation.

Jesus was not simply "a bright guy of the sort who might surface anywhere at any time." He was a full-blown sage and rhetorical genius unlike anything that anyone could reasonably have expected to emerge from Nazareth.

One possibility, of course, is that he was God and simply knew everything, including how to fix a 1957 Ford transmission. The fact his family was mystified by the supposed incident when he was 12 and later thought he was out of his mind would suggest he hid his divinity awfully well if that's the answer. Was all of this knowledge, reasoning and rhetorical ability perhaps imparted in some massive cosmic download when he began his ministry? It's very weird.

I have no answer, but I suspect the fabled Missing Years may hold secrets that haven't occurred to most of us. But if that were true, one might have expected at least some hint that he'd spent 15 years studying with a yogi in Tibet to appear somewhere in the NT or the large body of other writings that didn't make it into the NT, some of which specifically concerned the childhood of Jesus (and had him doing things like killing other children who pissed him off!). Very weird, at least to me.

Nose nuggets are called boogers.

Objection.

Calls for speculation.

I know you weren’t a trial lawyer and I know you know we simply don’t know—— yet.

Just like ruins and lost villages and old manuscripts get dug up or discovered every now and then, I suspect the Jesus story isn’t complete. We know it isn’t. We know that much.

The test is speculation.

Maybe he was a prodigal living it up in Egypt as a young adult. What happens in Egypt stays in Egypt. Maybe we should be sifting sand there.

It was a tiny, inconsequential village. There was no school, no synagogue, no publc building of any kind. Only houses for perhaps 200-300 inhabitants, all of whom would've been humble laborers. Jesus is described as a tekton, one who worked with his hands.
No synagogue?
According to the NT text, Jesus visited his hometown (Nazareth, I assume) ???
And spoke in the synagogue.

Matthew 13:54-56 NIV
Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue,
and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked.
55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?
56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”

]

No synagogue?
According to the NT text, Jesus visited his hometown (Nazareth, I assume) ???
And spoke in the synagogue.

Matthew 13:54-56 NIV
Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue,
and they were amazed. “Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?” they asked.
55 “Isn’t this the carpenter’s son? Isn’t his mother’s name Mary, and aren’t his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?
56 Aren’t all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”

]
According to the archaeologists and Bart Ehrman, there was no synagogue - only residences.

This is from Wikipedia:

Although it is mentioned in the New Testament gospels, there are no extant non-biblical references to Nazareth until around AD 200, when Sextus Julius Africanus, cited by Eusebius (Church History 1.7.14), speaks of Nazara as a village in Judea and locates it near Cochaba (modern-day Kaukab).[51] In the same passage Africanus writes of desposunoi – relatives of Jesus – who he claims kept the records of their descent with great care. Ken Dark describes the view that Nazareth did not exist in Jesus's time as "archaeologically unsupportable".[52]
James F. Strange, Professor of Religious Studies at the University of South Florida,[53] notes: "Nazareth is not mentioned in ancient Jewish sources earlier than the third century AD. This likely reflects its lack of prominence both in Galilee and in Judaea."[54] Strange originally calculated the population of Nazareth at the time of Christ as "roughly 1,600 to 2,000 people" but, in a subsequent publication that followed more than a decade of additional research, revised this figure down to "a maximum of about 480."[55] In 2009, Israeli archaeologist Yardenna Alexandre excavated archaeological remains in Nazareth that date to the time of Jesus in the early Roman period. Alexandre told reporters, "The discovery is of the utmost importance since it reveals for the very first time a house from the Jewish village of Nazareth."[56][57][44]
Other sources state that during Jesus' time, Nazareth had a population of 400 and one public bath, which was important for civic and religious purposes, as a mikva.​
Maybe Jesus taught in the public bath, but Matthew thought that would sound a bit kinky.

This seems pretty authoritative:

Alexandre said that scant excavations in Nazareth have not uncovered any ritual baths or synagogues, but it was clearly a Jewish settlement due to the types of pottery found, as well as the chalk-stone vessels, which were only used by the Jewish populations of the era because they were not susceptible to ritual impurity.​
There are geographical, environmental explanations for Nazareth being so small, she said. Nazareth was set in a small basin surrounded by hills and wasn’t very accessible. It did have a water supply from what is called today Mary’s Well, and there is evidence of some limited terraced agriculture, as well as pasture fields. But since the town wasn’t located on a roadway, “people didn’t go through Nazareth unless they specifically wanted to go there.​
However:

Around Nazareth there were larger, important towns such as Tzippori (Sephoris), which was only about 5 kilometers to the west of Nazareth, as well as the village of Kana, near today’s Kfar Kana, which was 3-4 kilometers to the north from Nazareth.​

So perhaps Matthew took literary license - or simply didn't know - and relocated the synagogue in Tzippori to Nazareth.

So perhaps Matthew took literary license - or simply didn't know - and relocated the synagogue in Tzippori to Nazareth.
And the text doesn't indicate that the disciples went with Jesus to Nazareth.
So, he may have gone there alone and the Gospel writer worked from a verbal report of what happened.

]

And the text doesn't indicate that the disciples went with Jesus to Nazareth.
So, he may have gone there alone and the Gospel writer worked from a verbal report of what happened.

]
This would, of course, have the minor downside that the Bible would not be INFALLIBLE AND ERRANT!!! I don't care, but don't tell @Wrangler.

This would, of course, have the minor downside that the Bible would not be INFALLIBLE AND ERRANT!!! I don't care, but don't tell @Wrangler.
Well... a little literary exaggeration can be overlooked, right?

Edom

Edom was an ancient kingdom in Transjordan located between Moab to the northeast, the Arabah to the west and the Arabian Desert to the south and east. Most of its former territory is now divided between Israel and Jordan.

The destruction of Edom uses the same exaggerated language descriptions as hell in the Bible. Yet none of it lasted forever as it clearly says. And you can certainly pass through it today. For this prophecy to be taken literally it would need to be a smoking tar pit today with a bypass to get around it. Compare verse ten below. (Revelation 14:11)

Isaiah 34:8-11 For the Lord has a day of vengeance, a year of retribution, to uphold Zion’s cause. 9 Edom’s streams will be turned into pitch, her dust into burning sulfur; her land will become blazing pitch! 10 It will not be quenched night or day; its smoke will rise forever. From generation to generation it will lie desolate; no one will ever pass through it again. 11 The desert owl and screech owl will possess it; the great owl and the raven will nest there. God will stretch out over Edom the measuring line of chaos and the plumb line of desolation.

]

Well... a little literary exaggeration can be overlooked, right?
Nope, sorry, we here in INFALLIBLE INERRANT Land do not hide behind euphemisms like "literary exaggeration." If Matthew said there was a synagogue in Nazareth then there damn well was. Here in INFALLIBLE INERRANT Land, our faith and indeed our sanity hinge on that synagogue.

Nope, sorry, we here in INFALLIBLE INERRANT Land do not hide behind euphemisms like "literary exaggeration." If Matthew said there was a synagogue in Nazareth then there damn well was. Here in INFALLIBLE INERRANT Land, our faith and indeed our sanity hinge on that synagogue.
Sounds like there was a cliff to fling Jesus off. So we are GOOD!

[

Back