• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Paine's AMERICAN CRISIS, 1776

Not sure how you are offended by Paine now if you weren't offended by him 20 years ago, would you care to elaborate on the reason since I am not sure if you are offended or envious?

Tyranny, like a lie, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

Like George Washington is quoted as saying, "Truth will ultimately prevail where pains is taken to bring it to light."

Tyranny, like a lie, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

While I can't say that George Washington said, "Few men have the virtue to withstand the highest bidder" yet it is difficult to persuade mankind to doubt the evidence of their senses when they are bought for a price.

Not sure how you are offended by Paine now if you weren't offended by him 20 years ago, would you care to elaborate on the reason since I am not sure if you are offended or envious?

Like George Washington is quoted as saying, "
Truth will ultimately prevail where pains is taken to bring it to light."

While I can't say that George Washington said, "Few men have the virtue to withstand the highest bidder" yet it is difficult to persuade mankind to doubt the evidence of their senses when they are bought for a price.

Hi, I was referring to his 20 year-later writing/activity, not mine. 20 years later he had swallowed most of the current skepticism about the Bible, which undermines so much. He was popular with the Committee for Public Safety for categorical genocide. A few other things. See my doc:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNr-9UFErg&t=164s

My novel has 10x the detail. https://www.amazon.com/MORE-SAME-PR...anford+more+of+the+same,stripbooks,206&sr=1-1

Even though he was in England on the sly at times, it was not an information-rich age. We now know that there were reforms going there on before he showed up that were already doing what the US Constitution was intending. And there was also a knowledge by the working class that 'egalite' was sometimes a snowjob for state (ie the revolutionary's state) murder. The idea that a person who who had no experience handling money should have the same vote as one who did was ridiculous to the English public for quite a while.

I can also check if you want, but there was one point in his French shuttles (between Paris and London) where he got stuck and Washington didn't know if he even wanted to help him.

In the meanwhile, his wife and child died in childbirth after the American Independence and this had a huge destructive impact on his faith; whereas the earlier material was modeled on Douce's sermons in Philadelphia on Gal 5: 'you were freed for freedom.'

Thanks for you question.

Back