• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Idolatry of Jesus's Divinity

Wrangler

Site Supporter
In another thread a moderator posts this to close a thread about Jesus's divinity:
Close-handed issues (or closed issues) are issues that are central to being a Christian; these issues are simply not up for debate because they are what defines Christianity ... We will define those below in regards to the community, but this includes doctrines like the divinity of Christ.

Given its absence from Scripture, why is accepting the divinity of Jesus so important to trinitarians that if you do not accept it, they deem you NOT a Christ follower? I've asked this question which reveals the idolatry of Jesus' divinity. What is more important?
A. Bring people to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Romans 10:9.​
B. Get people to accept the trinity, in general, and Jesus is God, in particular.​

Trinitarians refused to answer because they consider their IDOL on par with the Great Commision. Below is a wonderful video delving into this IDOLATRY by a gentle, senior pastor. Take a listen and tell me your thoughts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6LOPDjOeU4

In another thread a moderator posts this to close a thread about Jesus's divinity:
Close-handed issues (or closed issues) are issues that are central to being a Christian; these issues are simply not up for debate because they are what defines Christianity ... We will define those below in regards to the community, but this includes doctrines like the divinity of Christ.

Given its absence from Scripture, why is accepting the divinity of Jesus so important to trinitarians that if you do not accept it, they deem you NOT a Christ follower? I've asked this question which reveals the idolatry of Jesus' divinity. What is more important?
A. Bring people to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Romans 10:9.​
B. Get people to accept the trinity, in general, and Jesus is God, in particular.​

Trinitarians refused to answer because they consider their IDOL on par with the Great Commision. Below is a wonderful video delving into this IDOLATRY by a gentle, senior pastor. Take a listen and tell me your thoughts.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6LOPDjOeU4

Are you referring to another site, where the thread was closed, or one on this Forum?

For those who don't have the patience for the video, their website quickly makes clear what they believe: https://21stcr.org/subjects/jesus-the-messiah/. Their Christology sounds close to that of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Jesus - or JUH-EEE-ZUS! - idolatry is one of my pet peeves. Among some women, it seems almost quasi-sexual and slightly creepy. But even at the more mainstream level, Jesus idolatry seems to have largely supplanted any other notion of God. Even among gung-ho Trinitarians, the Father and Holy Spirit seem largely lost to Jesus idolatry (with Bibliolatry a close second). I have a vague sense that Jesus would be flabbergasted and aghast.

(One of my little jokes is that the measure of your spirituality in the evangelical community is how many syllables you can milk out of "God" and "Jesus": "GA-AW-DUH-UH" and "JUH-EEE-ZUS-UH" - yep, four syllables is the mark of a real Christian! If you think God is one syllable and Jesus is two, you need to spend more time on your knees, bub.)

I have now watched three 24-episode offerings by The Great Courses on various aspects of early Christianity. The lead instructor is Dr. David Brakke, https://history.osu.edu/people/brakke.2, a world-class scholar with no obvious agenda. I don't know how much was completely new to me, but the format really helps put things in focus.

The fact is, the Platonists, Jews and all early Christian groups - Gnostics, Hellenists, "orthodox" and everything in between - all had some notion of an ineffable, incomprehensible Deity that revealed Itself to humans through aspects or emanations like Its Word, Wisdom and, yes, Jesus. All the early Christians struggled with exactly the same issues we struggle with today - how did the OT relate to the NT, who and what was Jesus, what was Jesus' core message? The notions of Jesus as Fully God and of a Father-Son-Spirit Trinity as being the "orthodox" position were heavily negotiated over a l-o-n-g period via a process that was more political than theological.

My sense is that most internet forum Christians think something like 21st Century evangelical Christianity is what they would encounter if they could time-travel back to the first, second, third or fourth century. This is complete nonsense, a simple-minded fantasy.

When I exercise in the mornings, I listen to two or three programs on American Family Radio. Yesterday was startling - Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, All Jesus All the Time. Our lives are to be about Glorifying Jesus and nothing else. The Father and Spirit were literally never mentioned. I don't know what Jesus would think, but I found it weird and offputting.

As I have matured, I find that I relate far more to this ineffable, incomprehensible Deity that I typically address as the Creator and Trinitarians would call the Father. Jesus may somehow "be" God, but this is certainly far from clear in the Bible (which seems exceedingly odd) and was far from clear to many, many of the early Christians. I don't deny the divinity of Jesus, whatever "divinity" may mean in this context, but it isn't one of my core doctrines and certainly isn't a litmus test for whether one is a Christian.

Many Christians across the entire spectrum seem to have a psychological need for their pet doctrines to be "correct" at the expense of all others being "wrong." I'm willing to chalk up large swaths of Christianity to ineffable, incomprehensible mystery, ambiguity and uncertainty.

I have now watched three 24-episode offerings by The Great Courses on various aspects of early Christianity. The lead instructor is Dr. David Brakke, https://history.osu.edu/people/brakke.2, a world-class scholar with no obvious agenda. I don't know how much was completely new to me, but the format really helps put things in focus.

I'm also a Great Courses subscriber.... pondering these things beats sit coms.

I'm also a Great Courses subscriber.... pondering these things beats sit coms.
For those who may not know, a Great Courses subscription on Amazon Prime is a mere $7.99 a month, $4 less than a six-pack of Guinness Stout at Safeway, and has to be one of the great bargains out there. They have an astonishing variety of offerings.

Jesus may somehow "be" God
A book title has it spot on. Jesus is not God with a capital-G.

We have been brainwashed to denying all other gods besides the one true god. This is because there are senses of a word. The same is with LORD. There are many lowercase lords in Scripture and Jesus is one of them. That does not mean they are capital LORD.

Many Christians across the entire spectrum seem to have a psychological need for their pet doctrines to be "correct" at the expense of all others being "wrong."
A coworker characterized this to the human experience as "right fight."

What I don't get about Jesus IDOLATORS is why they believe it is so important to believe in their IDOL. As far as other pet doctrines, I don't see nearly the salvation depends on believing this like it is with the Jesus IDOL. As far as I'm concerned, the HS just goes along for the ride; the real passion is the man-is-god thesis.

Back