• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Forfeit your soul?

M

MatthewG

The soul is the (heart,mind,will,emotion) that resides with-in our body as we live in it. The living soul is what makes you who you are.

Jesus asked His disciples while among a crowd of people in Czaer Philippi, saying “For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and yet forfeit his soul? For what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?”

Trying to understand this saying is difficult; however I believe Jesus was expressing the concern for a persons soul, and suggesting that if you give your mind, will, emotion, heart to the world itself you will forfeiting your soul (heart/mind/will/emotion) over to something that does not truly give back. The world itself is only the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and pride of life.

However in the previous verses he states that “Whoever so shall come to save his life for Jesus sake and the gospels, shall save it.”

I believe this is an example of a person individually taking up their own cross and following Jesus, and denying themselves and letting God work in the mind/soul/heart/ emotion of the person who is seeking after him.

The cross itself is caption punishment however Jesus served that sentence, and has risen again from the dead.

The cross is also a figurative term for self-denial, to follow after Jesus who is the one who allows us to have new life, in our soul.

That new life is the spiritual life; which we believe on the Son of God and we love God and love others. (Scriptures quoted Mark 8:36-37)

A person is a soul. A person is either a dead soul or a living soul.

“For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life? What could one give in exchange for his life?”

(Mark 8:35-37, NABRE)

Back