• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

First Gather Facts

E

EarlyActs

A Christian needs to have a sense that there are certain hard facts about the Bible they believe in. Too much of the time, it is treated as merely a growth guide, a therapy, etc. Some think they can take the physical book and let it fall open and there will be spiritual guidance on that page. This is not how a person should procede.

I recall Dr. Schaeffer of L'Abri wishing there was some other term available about the Bible or Christian thinking than 'system' but that its system was really important. He didn't just mean one denominational theology. He meant that it had hard structure that was there no matter what and that it was not just a collection of sayings about Christian life, and almost too much of that!

Hello EarlyActs,

The Bible to me is a reference tool, and I believe it’s needed when using the Bible to also be lead by the spirit is primary and preferential.

Lewis once wrote that he got very little personal benefit from the people trying to write 'devotional' material, and a lot from the primary sources (inc. the Bible) that he worked in. I identify with that.

What are your thoughts about it?
I think the book of law (let it be) is the good testimony of the labor of God's love or work of faith .and (it was very good.) introducing the word good as Gods' seal of approval used throughout the book of law (no theories of mankind)

Lewis once wrote that he got very little personal benefit from the people trying to write 'devotional' material, and a lot from the primary sources (inc. the Bible) that he worked in. I identify with that.
The Bible is most certainly beneficial to know truth. The Holy Spirit is beneficial too. Without it we would be blind, to truth

I think the book of law (let it be) is the good testimony of the labor of God's love or work of faith .and (it was very good.) introducing the word good as Gods' seal of approval used throughout the book of law (no theories of mankind)

I wouldn’t doubt reading Leviticus would be rewarding to see what Jesus had accomplished for the entire world, in which reconciliation was gained by God through Jesus.

“Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.

Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance.

And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.

And this hope will not lead to disappointment.

For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.

Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good.

But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:1-8‬ ‭NLT‬‬

“Because we understand our fearful responsibility to the Lord, we work hard to persuade others.

God knows we are sincere, and I hope you know this, too. Are we commending ourselves to you again?

No, we are giving you a reason to be proud of us, so you can answer those who brag about having a spectacular ministry rather than having a sincere heart.

If it seems we are crazy, it is to bring glory to God. And if we are in our right minds, it is for your benefit.

Either way, Christ’s love controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves.

Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them. So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view.

At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now! This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person.

The old life is gone; a new life has begun! And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ.

And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him.

For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5:11-19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Thank you both for answering.

Too many Christians think the Bible is full of statements that are going to be seen clearly in their own experience. They get told that it is somehow timeless, and you can pretty much come in anywhere, and there will be helpful saying. That may come later, but after realizing the kinds of things it was speaking to: most of the NT is about detangling from Judaism.

Too many Christians think the Bible is full of statements that are going to be seen clearly in their own experience. They get told that it is somehow timeless, and you can pretty much come in anywhere, and there will be helpful saying. That may come later, but after realizing the kinds of things it was speaking to: most of the NT is about detangling from Judaism.
Maybe so, however EarlyActs is not the bible useful for spiritual growth, as well? To learn and grow about the things of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ?

Yes the reformation had come restoring the kingdom of faith .

Maybe so, however EarlyActs is not the bible useful for spiritual growth, as well? To learn and grow about the things of God, and the Lord Jesus Christ?

It is the most help if you were raised in Judaism. Next, if you were raised in an elaborate religion. Least if you are without any such background, and have some kind of addiction, etc. Least also if you think there are 'magic' verses in it when you are in a bind, but otherwise have no Christian inclination at all.

I am so tired of pastors telling people that what really matters is their satisfaction and that Jesus is the thing that is most satisfying. Has the guy really had a miserable romantic or sex life? Has he never traveled around the world, just for fun? So don't put "Jesus" in that category.

As far as I can tell, this is why Bono wrote "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" even with an excellent 'Jesus' verse in it! The Christian message tells people what to look for: the justification they need to be acceptable to God. Acceptable to God! Ha! Does anyone even care anymore? They are much more concerned about God being acceptable to us! People don't want truth to be so flimsy it is about 'what they are looking for' or might next year. They want to know a thing is always true.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmxOUIddBm0

He also gets put in the category of the most help. But again we have a line by Lewis: "Many...preachers think they are supposed to tell people they can 'get' something like the latest drug breakthrough. Instead, the Christian faith tells us a set of facts that are true... Any honest person will want to know if it is true and adhere to it, even if it gives them no help at all."

A commentary on Romans by Ridenour was subtitled: 'how to be a Christian without being religious.' I think he hit the nail on the head, because it was especially for the person was raised in or obsessed with a religion.

It is the most help if you were raised in Judaism. Next, if you were raised in an elaborate religion. Least if you are without any such background, and have some kind of addiction, etc. Least also if you think there are 'magic' verses in it when you are in a bind, but otherwise have no Christian inclination at all.

From what you write it seems to me that bible is helpful, in learning about God and the Lord Jesus Christ, even history involving the creation, and the promises of the Lord that are accepted by faith in Jesus Christ. Is that correct?

I am so tired of pastors telling people that what really matters is their satisfaction and that Jesus is the thing that is most satisfying. Has the guy really had a miserable romantic or sex life? Has he never traveled around the world, just for fun? So don't put "Jesus" in that category.

Jesus most assuredly got to the travel, and spend time with his family and friends who stuck with him during his life, and ministry having many friends. He also suffered persecution from others, even in is own home town he was just another human being with no special talent, even having healed by the grace of God by the Holy Spirit in and through Jesus having healed people. Some people were amazed, some people were astonished, some people were jealous and envied him.

He gave also a promise to his Disciples they to would end up being persecuted for His names Sake. They were indeed persecuted, beaten and killed all for spreading the good news of the coming Kingdom, along with warning people of the wrath to come in those last says.

Having fun is subjective experience, based on what it is the person enjoys doing and thankfully not everyone is the same. I personally like the bible and staying close to truth, but it is also about living and being guided by the spirit, would you agree?

As far as I can tell, this is why Bono wrote "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" even with an excellent 'Jesus' verse in it! The Christian message tells people what to look for: the justification they need to be acceptable to God. Acceptable to God! Ha! Does anyone even care anymore? They are much more concerned about God being acceptable to us! People don't want truth to be so flimsy it is about 'what they are looking for' or might next year. They want to know a thing is always true.

What does all this mean exactly?
u2, I heard of this band before.

He also gets put in the category of the most help. But again we have a line by Lewis: "Many...preachers think they are supposed to tell people they can 'get' something like the latest drug breakthrough. Instead, the Christian faith tells us a set of facts that are true... Any honest person will want to know if it is true and adhere to it, even if it gives them no help at all."

I am not sure if that comment is all that note worthy. It would be the individual who desires to know the truth about God would consider what the bible has to say over what open aired opinions may be, there will be contradictions for another party if they are limited in their own faith and understanding by how much they partook in their own individual study to learn about the truth pertaining about God as there are different measures faith in which some may draw very near to God, and some may only desire to be so close.

A commentary on Romans by Ridenour was subtitled: 'how to be a Christian without being religious.' I think he hit the nail on the head, because it was especially for the person was raised in or obsessed with a religion.

People comment a lot of different things but that doesn't mean they were not fallible in their own thinking, that includes me myself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmxOUIddBm0

Great song reminded me of Christ searching for his chaste virgin bride, the church.

I would disagree with the way he used religion. God reveals the kind of religion he puts his good seal of faith on as his approval .

There is no such thing as no religion (belief) the atheists' as their religion believe there is not God .God calls them fools .

In James in a parable God defines the kind of religion he sets his approval on and especially unto them who are of the household of faith. In that way the bride of Christ the household of faith or described as the mother of us all can care for each other. As orphans without a heavenly father and widows not married. A great ministry that is someone over looked in the elderly replaced with old folks homes or worldly orphanages.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Galaitians 6:26-27 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

Galatians 6:10 As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith

Back