• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Christianity as a Closed System

SteVen

As I have said often, "I was raised Protestant evangelical." --- A closed system.
Which had an odd antithetical twist. You can't DO evangelism without talking to the "lost". (those outside the closed system)
And only mature evangelicals were even allowed to do it, for fear you might be talked out of the system.

Evangelism was a "required" activity that involved talking AT the "lost", not talking WITH the "lost".
People became projects. And if the "project" seemed like a waste of time,
you could "shake the dust off your feet" and absolve yourself of any responsibility toward them.
(their blood not being on your hands)

In preparation for talking at the "lost" projects, we were armed with Christian Apologetics. (counter-arguments)
You were bound to encounter resistance to the "message" from the closed system.
The "success" of the evangelist depended on the strength of their counter-arguments.

Much more to say about this. Everyone and everything outside the closed system was held in suspicion.
Which required negative opinions about all of those things, so as to assure keeping a safe distance.

I was wondering, how many others have had similar experiences with church, or Christianity in general?

Or...

Thoughts from those who would defend Christianity, or a church, as a closed system. Seeing value in it.

/

As I have said often, "I was raised Protestant evangelical." --- A closed system.
Which had an odd antithetical twist. You can't DO evangelism without talking to the "lost". (those outside the closed system)
And only mature evangelicals were even allowed to do it, for fear you might be talked out of the system.

Evangelism was a "required" activity that involved talking AT the "lost", not talking WITH the "lost".
People became projects. And if the "project" seemed like a waste of time,
you could "shake the dust off your feet" and absolve yourself of any responsibility toward them.
(their blood not being on your hands)

In preparation for talking at the "lost" projects, we were armed with Christian Apologetics. (counter-arguments)
You were bound to encounter resistance to the "message" from the closed system.
The "success" of the evangelist depended on the strength of their counter-arguments.

Much more to say about this. Everyone and everything outside the closed system was held in suspicion.
Which required negative opinions about all of those things, so as to assure keeping a safe distance.

I was wondering, how many others have had similar experiences with church, or Christianity in general?

Or...

Thoughts from those who would defend Christianity, or a church, as a closed system. Seeing value in it.

/

ooooh... yes. It gets a little slimy quickly.

What I mean by that, is that with this approach evangelism can become sales. Two Jesus salesmen show up at your front door selling Jesus. If they have been properly trained, they come armed with tactics-- things like a thirty-second-elevator-speech, and a how-to-handle-objections-manual.

With sufficient training and ample experience- you could recruit these two for success on a used car lot, door-to-door vacuum or encyclopedia sales.

ooooh... yes. It gets a little slimy quickly.

What I mean by that, is that with this approach evangelism can become sales. Two Jesus salesmen show up at your front door selling Jesus. If they have been properly trained, they come armed with tactics-- things like a thirty-second-elevator-speech, and a how-to-handle-objections-manual.

With sufficient training and ample experience- you could recruit these two for success on a used car lot, door-to-door vacuum or encyclopedia sales.
Exactly.
Not to say that God can't use a situation like the door-to-door guys as a divine appointment, but...
people don't like to be sold something they don't want. Buyer's remorse is a terrible thing to do to the faith.

I finally figured out that I should treat people like projects. Friendship evangelism means earning the right to be heard.

/

Exactly.
Not to say that God can't use a situation like the door-to-door guys as a divine appointment, but...
people don't like to be sold something they don't want. Buyer's remorse is a terrible thing to do to the faith.

I finally figured out that I should treat people like projects. Friendship evangelism means earning the right to be heard.

/

It's something that can be earned, sure. Or- it's also something that can be given. I suppose the difference is whether you consider yourself to be a merchant of truth (a seller) or an agent (a pass through).

It's something that can be earned, sure. Or- it's also something that can be given. I suppose the difference is whether you consider yourself to be a merchant of truth (a seller) or an agent (a pass through).
Or like one hobo showing another where to get food.

Like sharing a can of beans under the overpass.

/

Or like one hobo showing another where to get food.

Like sharing a can of beans under the overpass.

/

Yes-- but is the 'golden rule of hobos' to treat others as they have treated you? -Or is it to treat them the way you would want to be treated?

Back