• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Christ - the end of the law

S

Sissy

According to the apostle, Paul, Christ is the end of the law, and that the law was a schoolmaster (a tutor you are placed under the authority of).

Let it be known that Paul did not mean the law itself ended (the law still stands and others need to learn it), but that once you learned the answer to the school work then you no longer needed to be under the authority of the tutor (the law) to learn the answer for that lesson.
Once you learn the answer to the school lesson, the school lesson ends for you.
You are free from being under the authority (bondage) of the schoolmaster.

To put in a modern day term .....
You place your child under the authority of a tutor to learn how and why 1 + 1 = 2.
Once the child has learned that answer they no longer need the tutor and are free of the tutor.

What "ends" is your need for the tutor, not the law itself.
The "end" of the law is the answer of the law.
The answer is Christ.

Paul will often use cultural issues as analogies.
He allegorizes the distinction between law and promise.

LAW
Paul allegorizes the law given at Mt. Sinai as being Hagar the slave woman.
In the culture of ancient time (just as it is today) children were placed under the authority of a tutor to learn lessons, and the tutor was customarily a slave.
So the child was in bondage (under the authority) of a slave.
To be under the law (the tutor) one was in slave bondage.
God placed Israel (the children) under the authority of the law (the tutor) to learn an answer to something.
Once you learn the truth of the lesson, that lesson has ended (you are set free).

PROMISE
The promise is Christ who is the truth, the answer, the end of the law.

Truth will set you free.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:
Matthew 5:17

And I know that His commandment is life everlasting:
John 12:50

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:
Matthew 5:17
Exactly.
The law itself didn't end, just the need for it after you come to the realization of the answer to it's message.
Some still need it until they realize the answer.

And yet their reward appeareth not, and their labour hath no fruit:
for I have gone here and there through the heathen, and I see that they flow in wealth, and think not upon Thy commandments.

2 Esdras 3:33

The knowledge of the commandments of the Lord is the doctrine of life:
and they that do things that please Him shall receive the fruit of the tree of immortality.

Sirach 19:19

Back