• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

Can an omniscient God be offended?

SteVen

Is God ever surprised by our behavior?

Does he dwell on disappointment and offense?
Does he lash out in anger at those who "offend" Him?

There seems to be a case for this in the OT scriptures.
But what about the God of the New Testament?
Even then, does the NT have an OT "hangover"? - LOL

] cc: @mailmandan

Is God ever surprised by our behavior?

Does he dwell on disappointment and offense?
Does he lash out in anger at those who "offend" Him?

There seems to be a case for this in the OT scriptures.
But what about the God of the New Testament?
Even then, does the NT have an OT "hangover"? - LOL

] cc: @mailmandan

An OT hangover? :ROFLMAO:

As much as I like that, I think it's much worse than that. I think it's a Moses addiction, - a bad habit, that's almost impossible to kick.

It's hard to see a way out when you are nose-deep in the crack.

Pre-planned vengeance is a tough concept for me to wrap my head around. To me, vengeance is spawned by more or less contemporaneous anger over another's actions. Knowing a year or two ahead of time that someone will offend me so greviously as to spark my vengeance (I hope that never actually happens!) would probably give my erstwhile anger time enough to dissipate, so as to avoid my taking my vengeance.

Pre-planned vengeance is a tough concept for me to wrap my head around. To me, vengeance is spawned by more or less contemporaneous anger over another's actions. Knowing a year or two ahead of time that someone will offend me so greviously as to spark my vengeance (I hope that never actually happens!) would probably give my erstwhile anger time enough to dissipate, so as to avoid my taking my vengeance.

It's hard to wrap your head around, because it doesn't make sense.

By popular demand, I've been asked to weigh in on this topic. (Well, @SteVen asked me, so maybe that's "by unpopular demand." :)}

Obviously, there is a disconnect between the God of the OT and the God of the NT. Those who wish to pretend there isn't are forced to do a great deal of unconvincing (to me) tap-dancing. There is good reason that most of the ancient "heresies" wrestled with this issue, even to the extent of positing two entirely different Gods. That being said, even Jesus seemed to be somewhat prone to being irritated and offended for someone who was ostensibly the incarnation of God.

I just don't find it useful to try to formulate my notions of God from the Bible. The God of orthodox Christianity is someone most of us really wouldn't want living next door, to the extent that many believers and even theologians must resort to absurd "explanations" like God's morality being entirely different from ours - sure, he may look like the worst father you could imagine, but that's just because his morality is beyond our grasp and it's all OK because he's God and we're not. WHAT???

Intuitively, which is the best I can do and what I must live with, I simply cannot picture the creator of the universe being offended or enraged by anything in his creation. Disappointed, perhaps, but that's the price of giving us free will. At some level, I believe it's all OK - ghastly as it may now seem - and will all be OK in the end. I recently read a Near Death account where the woman said exactly that: All of it - the hideous wars and all the rest - is the way it's supposed to be, unlikely as this may now seem.

Yesterday, two of the (originally) feral cats who now live like overfed princesses in my garage had caught a bird and were tormenting it right beside their feed bowls. I snatched it up and did my best to protect it, give it water, and keep it warm. Alas, it died within an hour. In a moment of honesty, I flipped the bird (THE BIRD, not the dead one) at heaven with both hands and screamed "I am so effing sick of your effing creation and the effing cruelty everywhere I effing turn!!!" Did I feel horrible and instantly repent? Hell, no. Do I think God was irritated and offended? Hell, no. I think he probably appreciated the honesty and sympathized with my frustration at why things have to be this way.

I simply cannot picture the creator of the universe being offended or enraged by anything in his creation. Disappointed, perhaps, but that's the price of giving us free will.
Agree.
That is exactly my point.
And as usual, you always state it more elegantly than I. Thanks.

See... I know this would be a good place for you to weigh in.
At least I got that right.

]

Back