• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

A Request

P

Peter

Hi folks, I don't get on the forums much anymore--schoolwork overloads and all that--but my dad asked me to try to find something weird, and I had no idea where to start, so I thought, why not ask the people over on White Horse?

Anyway, here's my question:
Is there a translation of the Bible that uses the word "church" (or a transliteration of the Greek word) to refer to something other than a body of people?
Common christian vernacular uses the word "church" to mean the building in which the church normally meets, or the Sunday morning meeting of the church, and I don't know what all.
So I'm looking for a translation that does the same thing. Does it exist?
I honestly have no idea why my dad wants to know that, but there you go.

I will not respond to or pay attention to any replies that question the theological accuracy of such a use of the word "church." I am purely looking for a direct answer to the question.
Thanks!

Hi folks, I don't get on the forums much anymore--schoolwork overloads and all that--but my dad asked me to try to find something weird, and I had no idea where to start, so I thought, why not ask the people over on White Horse?

Is there a translation of the Bible that uses the word "church" (or a transliteration of the Greek word) to refer to something other than a body of people?
Common christian vernacular uses the word "church" to mean the building in which the church normally meets, or the Sunday morning meeting of the church, and I don't know what all.
I honestly have no idea why my dad wants to know that, but there you go.

I will not respond to or pay attention to any replies that question the theological accuracy of such a use of the word "church." I am purely looking for a direct answer to the question.
Thanks!
The earliest known structure dedicated to Christian use is at Dura Europos on the Euphrates River in eastern Roman Syria. It was a house that came into Christian possession and was remodeled in the 240s. Long after the New Testament was completed.

The earliest known structure dedicated to Christian use is at Dura Europos on the Euphrates River in eastern Roman Syria. It was a house that came into Christian possession and was remodeled in the 240s. Long after the New Testament was completed.
I'm not looking for an original Greek or Hebrew text. I'm looking for an English translation.

I'm not looking for an original Greek or Hebrew text. I'm looking for an English translation.
The closest you’ll find is translations that refer to churches in somebody’s house.

Not that I am aware of.

None that I am aware of.
"Church" was always used in scripture as a congregation of people even in the OT (see Acts 7:38 which is talking about the congregation of Israel that was brought out of Egypt).

People in biblical times did not have buildings that were designated as churches.
Christians met anywhere they could congregate and fellowship, such as in someone's house or an open field, etc.
And for many years they were persecuted and had to gather in secret to avoid being arrested.
It was not until much later that public buildings could be erected for the specific purpose of Christians gathering together in safety.

Back