• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

A Pastoral Question About the Psalms

E

EarlyActs

A pastor told me recently that one of the regular features of the service there--reading a psalm, which I have really enjoyed--was actually not so well-like by the members.

I have heard a few things that were a bit more primitive than I recalled from last reading. And there is the occasional mouthful of geographic or national names that just don't flow and the stories are not easy to recall.

But I think there might be something else gnawing at people. I propose that it is the soaring expectations for the person who is either in a neutral stage in life or having a bad spell. There might even be a problem with how dreary the canvas is painted in others. There is a strain in Psalms that is almost unbelievable, that seems like we see little of. It might be a spread table in the presence of enemies, for ex.

I have a solution that I hope you will consider. It is that there are quite a few Psalms which are actually about Christ. They are previews of what he would encounter, suffer, and overcome. In a way this doesn't really help us, unless we have a strong value on the sacrifice of someone for us, of a gift being given to us. We should. We have this theme in the NT that we have been lifted up in Christ and that his rising was ours. I'm not talking about something you might experience, but that upon belief in what He did for us, we are transfered from death to life, Jn. 5.

We can find this feature from the fact that so many of the psalms are quoted this way in the NT. They are used about Christ during his life, and retrospectively later.

There is some comfort in the fact of knowing that God would know things could be like this before we get there. We will be strengthened if we accept and expect that life is that difficult, and hopefully we will be able to read a line and say 'it is/was not as bad as that!' No question about that, but I think there can be much more of a peave when the upbeat lines never seem to come our way.

A pastor told me recently that one of the regular features of the service there--reading a psalm, which I have really enjoyed--was actually not so well-like by the members.

I have heard a few things that were a bit more primitive than I recalled from last reading. And there is the occasional mouthful of geographic or national names that just don't flow and the stories are not easy to recall.

But I think there might be something else gnawing at people. I propose that it is the soaring expectations for the person who is either in a neutral stage in life or having a bad spell. There might even be a problem with how dreary the canvas is painted in others. There is a strain in Psalms that is almost unbelievable, that seems like we see little of. It might be a spread table in the presence of enemies, for ex.

I have a solution that I hope you will consider. It is that there are quite a few Psalms which are actually about Christ. They are previews of what he would encounter, suffer, and overcome. In a way this doesn't really help us, unless we have a strong value on the sacrifice of someone for us, of a gift being given to us. We should. We have this theme in the NT that we have been lifted up in Christ and that his rising was ours. I'm not talking about something you might experience, but that upon belief in what He did for us, we are transfered from death to life, Jn. 5.

We can find this feature from the fact that so many of the psalms are quoted this way in the NT. They are used about Christ during his life, and retrospectively later.

There is some comfort in the fact of knowing that God would know things could be like this before we get there. We will be strengthened if we accept and expect that life is that difficult, and hopefully we will be able to read a line and say 'it is/was not as bad as that!' No question about that, but I think there can be much more of a peave when the upbeat lines never seem to come our way.
I read from Psalms every day. I start at the beginning and when I get all the way through them, I turn around and start again. What I have come to see in them that is the most helpful and encouraging and growth enhancing, particularly in David's psalms, is the knowing who God is contained in them. David realized that everything came from God. That it was to God that he could take everything and the utter absolute trust he had in God. He knew it was God who had his life, who made him and everything. He asked Him for mercy, for help, for comfort, for a right heart, for forgiveness, for understanding, to keep him on right paths, for wisdom etc. When we know God like David did, and trust Him as David did, in good times and bad, in suffering and in health, we will have made some progress. The Psalms are one of best places to learn of God (not us but God) in a relationship way.

I read from Psalms every day. I start at the beginning and when I get all the way through them, I turn around and start again. What I have come to see in them that is the most helpful and encouraging and growth enhancing, particularly in David's psalms, is the knowing who God is contained in them. David realized that everything came from God. That it was to God that he could take everything and the utter absolute trust he had in God. He knew it was God who had his life, who made him and everything. He asked Him for mercy, for help, for comfort, for a right heart, for forgiveness, for understanding, to keep him on right paths, for wisdom etc. When we know God like David did, and trust Him as David did, in good times and bad, in suffering and in health, we will have made some progress. The Psalms are one of best places to learn of God (not us but God) in a relationship way.

Anything about Christ, like the apostles found?

Many are quoted as pre-views of words Christ would say or things he would do. Some are exclusively about Christ. Ps 2, 16, 110, 118. Those four have the most powerful doctrines expressed by the apostles. They say that the resurrection was the enthronement of Christ and that he gained the right, by that, to thrash his enemies on earth, on the last day.

ck Ps 109 as a case in point about an imprecatory psalm. I don't think we are meant to say these things about our enemies. However, we find that one line is about Judas, and others are used about the treatment of Christ by His enemies, and so this actually reinforces other things about Christ than making his followers nasty. It tells us that there is ultimate justice from God because Christ went through all that but was then lifted high above all things in honor.

My sermons were well received by the congregation I served. There were only two, that I recall, that received serious pushback. One was on Jesus and Christian non-violence; the other was on the imprecatory psalms.

Not that it will matter much to anyone reading this, but I’ve just recently begun reading The Living Psalms; a classic study written by Claus Westerman. (My latest effort in an ongoing internal war to distract me from a personal commitment to re-read Origen.)

Back