• Welcome to White Horse Forums. We ask that you would please take a moment to introduce yourself in the New Members section. Tell us a bit about yourself and dive in!

A Few Thoughts on Psalm 1

T

TrevorL

This is an impressive Psalm and is an introduction to the Book of Psalms. Two sets of people and two ways are revealed, summed up in the last verse, the way of the ungodly and the way of the righteous. The righteous class are introduced in the first phrase, but it is in the singular: “Blessed is the man”. Ultimately this one man is the Lord Jesus Christ.

At first his qualities are described by what he is not. The Psalmist gives us three poetic parallels, and when these are lined up, each of the three phrases seem to be a progressive decline in the character and position of the ungodly:
Psalm 1:1 (KJV): Blessed is the man
that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,
nor standeth in the way of sinners,
nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Thus the Psalmist by this method also introduces to us the ungodly, sinners and the scornful.

And this is contrasted with what the blessed man is:
Psalm 1:2 (KJV): But his delight is in the law of the LORD;
and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Two key words are introduced, “delight” and “meditate”. Both of these qualities are not natural to man, but there needs to be an initial choice or persuasion that this course is worth embracing, then these qualities need to be cultivated and allowed to grow. The whole purpose of the Book of Psalms could be summarised in these two words. This Book of Psalms and the whole counsel of God is designed to develop this “delight” and a mind that “meditates” upon the word.

The ultimate destiny of these two classes of people are clearly depicted. The wicked or ungodly will become like chaff that the wind drives away, while the righteous will become like trees planted by rivers or streams of water bringing forth fruit.

The parallelism of verse 6 is condensed, and the following underlined phrases and words are required to complete the parallelism:
For the LORD knoweth (or regards) the way of the righteous and they shall live:
but God does not give regard to the way of the ungodly and they shall perish

Parallelism is a major feature of the OT Hebrew poetry. An advantage of this unique form is that the meaning of the poetry is not lost when translated into other languages. Modern translations usually show these parallel statements in verse form, while it is obscured in the KJV. The RV/KJV Interlinear Bible shows the KJV in verse form.

It appears that Jeremiah meditated upon this Psalm, and applied it to his own circumstances. He expands this Psalm and gives more detail to the difficult times and trials using the figure of drought:
Jeremiah 17:7-8 (KJV): 7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. 8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

Jeremiah also gives the contrast as revealed in Psalm 1:
Jeremiah 17:5-6 (KJV): 5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. 6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.

Jeremiah under Spirit guidance is very searching in his application of Psalm 1. We need to be humbled by the Word of God and the Gospel of Christ and allow the influence of the Word to awaken a delight in the Word and a desire to meditate therein. By this means our hearts and minds will direct us in the Way. Jeremiah adds another searching comment in v9 and Yahweh then speaks directly by means of a summary in v10, giving the final outcome, similar to the outcome of the two ways of Psalm 1:
Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV): 9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? 10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Many of the Psalms are written by David, the man after God’s own heart. They reveal his thoughts, prayers and praises. Some are written by his close associates such as Asaph who became the chief musician. Some are anonymous, and some of these seem to be by Hezekiah. A unique feature of the Psalms is that in some instances they reveal the thoughts of Jesus more than the thoughts and circumstances of David, for example Psalms 16 and 22 that are quoted in the NT. Thus the partial revelation of God by the prophets anticipates the complete revelation of God in His Son Hebrews 1:1-2.

Kind regards
Trevor

This is an impressive Psalm and is an introduction to the Book of Psalms. Two sets of people and two ways are revealed, summed up in the last verse, the way of the ungodly and the way of the righteous. The righteous class are introduced in the first phrase, but it is in the singular: “Blessed is the man”. Ultimately this one man is the Lord Jesus Christ.

At first his qualities are described by what he is not. The Psalmist gives us three poetic parallels, and when these are lined up, each of the three phrases seem to be a progressive decline in the character and position of the ungodly:

Thus the Psalmist by this method also introduces to us the ungodly, sinners and the scornful.

Two key words are introduced, “delight” and “meditate”. Both of these qualities are not natural to man, but there needs to be an initial choice or persuasion that this course is worth embracing, then these qualities need to be cultivated and allowed to grow. The whole purpose of the Book of Psalms could be summarised in these two words. This Book of Psalms and the whole counsel of God is designed to develop this “delight” and a mind that “meditates” upon the word.

The ultimate destiny of these two classes of people are clearly depicted. The wicked or ungodly will become like chaff that the wind drives away, while the righteous will become like trees planted by rivers or streams of water bringing forth fruit.

The parallelism of verse 6 is condensed, and the following underlined phrases and words are required to complete the parallelism:

Parallelism is a major feature of the OT Hebrew poetry. An advantage of this unique form is that the meaning of the poetry is not lost when translated into other languages. Modern translations usually show these parallel statements in verse form, while it is obscured in the KJV. The RV/KJV Interlinear Bible shows the KJV in verse form.

It appears that Jeremiah meditated upon this Psalm, and applied it to his own circumstances. He expands this Psalm and gives more detail to the difficult times and trials using the figure of drought:
Jeremiah 17:7-8 (KJV): 7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. 8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

Jeremiah 17:5-6 (KJV): 5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. 6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.

Jeremiah under Spirit guidance is very searching in his application of Psalm 1. We need to be humbled by the Word of God and the Gospel of Christ and allow the influence of the Word to awaken a delight in the Word and a desire to meditate therein. By this means our hearts and minds will direct us in the Way. Jeremiah adds another searching comment in v9 and Yahweh then speaks directly by means of a summary in v10, giving the final outcome, similar to the outcome of the two ways of Psalm 1:
Jeremiah 17:9 (KJV): 9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? 10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Many of the Psalms are written by David, the man after God’s own heart. They reveal his thoughts, prayers and praises. Some are written by his close associates such as Asaph who became the chief musician. Some are anonymous, and some of these seem to be by Hezekiah. A unique feature of the Psalms is that in some instances they reveal the thoughts of Jesus more than the thoughts and circumstances of David, for example Psalms 16 and 22 that are quoted in the NT. Thus the partial revelation of God by the prophets anticipates the complete revelation of God in His Son Hebrews 1:1-2.

Kind regards
Trevor
Good post Trevor I'm meditating on it right now.

Kind regards
Trevor

Thanks Trevor-- please take a moment to say hello in the Introductions thread.

Part of the 8th Grade school curriculum I grew up with in Appalachia was a class called Music Appreciation. I’ve long since forgotten my teacher’s name but I’ve never forgotten her class theme - “Everything’s better with music”.

The psalms were meant to be sung, and some of the psalms contain instructions for tune and instrument accompaniment.

Over the years I’ve heard several of the psalms sung, with the accompaniment of various types of musical instruments associated with Bluegrass music.

The ancient Israelites weren’t blessed with Bluegrass music and didn’t speak English, so they sounded much different from the renderings of the musicians of my heritage. I sometimes wonder when reading the psalms, especially when reading them in Hebrew, what they did sound like. (My beloved Hebrew language instructor in college , a Brit, used to tease me about my accent, saying that I spoke “Hillbilly Hebrew”. I had the same instructor for Greek - yep, ”Hillbilly Greek”.) One day I believe we’ll find out what the Israelites sounded like when we hear them singing in the age to come.

My two favorite psalms are 110 and 121. That’s not to say that I elevate them
above the others. I don’t.

What does Psalm 121 sound like in Hebrew? Attached for your consideration is Yosef Karduner.

View: https://youtu.be/Jjjpxh456Kk

I‘ve never met Karduner but I seriously doubt that he would say that his modern rendition accurately reflects the sound of the ancients. (I’m absolutely certain that he would say that it bears no resemblance whatsoever to my singing - in any language. I come from a long line of croakers.)

Closer to home with the OP (my apologies, Trevor, if I’ve wandered too far from your intention) is Psalm 1 in Hebrew, with instrument accompaniment.

Trevor, would you at some time, in this thread or in another, address the so-called “imprecatory Psalms”? (I gave a sermon on them years ago which wasn’t very well received by the pacifist community I identify with.) I’d very much like to hear your thoughts and the thoughts of others on them.

Oops. Wrong video link in post #6. I listened to that one after the one I was referring to in that post. Here is the video link to a musical rendition of Psalm 1 in Hebrew; the one which I intended to provide in post #6.

Greetings Matthathias,
Part of the 8th Grade school curriculum I grew up with in Appalachia was a class called Music Appreciation. I’ve long since forgotten my teacher’s name but I’ve never forgotten her class theme - “Everything’s better with music”.
The psalms were meant to be sung, and some of the psalms contain instructions for tune and instrument accompaniment.
Over the years I’ve heard several of the psalms sung, with the accompaniment of various types of musical instruments associated with Bluegrass music.
One of my regrets is that I have no musical abilities, either musical instruments or singing. With the present covid restrictions reimposed recently here in NSW Australia our three piano musicians have been rested and we have reverted back to recorded choir singing of our hymns, and I have the duty to play these and operate our video camera. Our hymns from our standard hymn book are usually the three or four stanza type with four or more lines a stanza, similar to Scottish Psalter, Isaac Watts, but also some Anthems. I have never previously heard of Bluegrass music, but listened to one with 14 banjos.
I sometimes wonder when reading the psalms, especially when reading them in Hebrew, what they did sound like. (My beloved Hebrew language instructor in college , a Brit, used to tease me about my accent, saying that I spoke “Hillbilly Hebrew”. I had the same instructor for Greek - yep, ”Hillbilly Greek”.) One day I believe we’ll find out what the Israelites sounded like when we hear them singing in the age to come.
Another regret is that I have not learnt Hebrew or Greek, except at an introductory level. I have heard some music from a region which did not have the same scales as established or consolidated by Bach, and it would be interesting to hear the Psalms played and sung by David and Asaph. When I read your post yesterday I had AB's green book on my desk as I was going to consider his treatment of Psalm 110:1 as I had been discussing this on another forum. We share the same understanding of Psalm 110:1, but you would have agreed in part with the other part of his post on the nature of Jesus. I have been reading volume 10, 1873 of our major magazine, as a great deal of this is considering whether Jesus inherited the fallen nature of Adam, and after this the question was settled and partly consolidated by a lecture titled "The Slain Lamb".
My two favorite psalms are 110 and 121. That’s not to say that I elevate them above the others. I don’t.
I like many of the Psalms, especially those quoted in the NT. My two favourites are Psalm 8 and Psalm 145, both David's Psalms of praise. Over the last year two of our Walsall UK brethren have been running a video series on the Psalms and have now 50 sessions and covered Psalms 1-42 and a few topics. They invite a different speaker each week and as we are a lay fellowship the quality of the talk is variable, but always interesting. One of the hosts selects music on the particular Psalm and this is usually modern, and a bit strange to me.
Closer to home with the OP (my apologies, Trevor, if I’ve wandered too far from your intention) is Psalm 1 in Hebrew, with instrument accompaniment.
I appreciate the two renditions of Psalm 1 and enjoyed the first the most, especially the school choir. Our 2002 Hymn Book has a nice Psalm 1 hymn, but I cannot give a link as it is under copyright by Jubilate Hymns. The words by Paul Wignore are a summary of Psalm 1, but cover most aspects, and the music by John Barnard is different from the standard old hymns.
Trevor, would you at some time, in this thread or in another, address the so-called “imprecatory Psalms”? (I gave a sermon on them years ago which wasn’t very well received by the pacifist community I identify with.) I’d very much like to hear your thoughts and the thoughts of others on them.
I am conscious of these and there is a chapter of only six pages in one of our books on the Psalms, but I have not properly considered this subject. I belong to a non-combatant fellowship, but we are not pacifists in the normal sense of the word, as we believe that God has and will used warfare to accomplish his purpose.

Kind regards
Trevor

My two favorite psalms are 110 and 121. That’s not to say that I elevate them
above the others. I don’t.

What does Psalm 121 sound like in Hebrew? Attached for your consideration is Yosef Karduner.

View: https://youtu.be/Jjjpxh456Kk

I‘ve never met Karduner but I seriously doubt that he would say that his modern rendition accurately reflects the sound of the ancients. (I’m absolutely certain that he would say that it bears no resemblance whatsoever to my singing - in any language. I come from a long line of croakers.)
Croakers? We may be related Matt! :)

Psalms 1 is a contrast between two types of people..

Psa 1:1-3 are the godly people who see God in everything.

Psa 1:4-6 are the ungodly people who are to perish ---very sad?

Blade

Back